Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:16 PM

449 posts, read 878,260 times

Advertisements

I have a desktop from Best Buy, and I also have WEBRoot Anti-spyware/Anti-virus. When I checked my p/c's security measures on Windows, it shows MALWARE PROTECTION in red, and will not allow me to turn it on. I have placed Webroot through the firewall. I have contacted Webroot, and have gotten nowhere. They have been useless. They said that if I call their 800 number, which noone answers, and when they do, a voicemail tells you the wait is 30 minutes or more, for $99.95, an EXPERT will address the issue further. I contracted for three years the first time, and it is active until 2011.

Do I take my tower to Best Buy? Do I disable Webroot, and get a virus disk from Best Buy and put it in? What do you suggest? Last night, my computer was very slow.

Webroot send me an email that states I should follow certain suggestions while INTERNET Explorer is on, but now even Internet Explorer is not allowing WEBROOT in. What do I do? I need help, thank you so much...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 02:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,476,314 times
Screw webroot and Best Buy. Download Microsoft's free anti-malware software from www.microsoft.com/security_essentials. Did I mention it's free?

Old 12-17-2009, 02:44 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,035,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Screw webroot and Best Buy. Download Microsoft's free anti-malware software from www.microsoft.com/security_essentials. Did I mention it's free?
I completely agree. Don't pay Best Buy or Web Root anything. There are excellent, free antivirus programs, MS Security Essentials being one of the best (along with Avast, AVG Free or Avira Antivir).

And if you ever think you have malware of any type, there are a couple powerful, free malware scanners: Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

Best Buy likes to prey on people who don't know much about computers, and man do they make a lot of money that way. Don't fall for it.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:20 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,281,555 times
The sales guy at Best Buy when I bought my laptop said, "Are you sure you don't want the anti-virus software," I shrugged him off. He, assuming I knew nothing about computers, "What are you going to do when your computer gets infected?" He quips.

Me: "Oh I'll download Microsoft Security Essentials; it's free."

I was proud to be a nerd that day. lol.

Seriously, the one in a few times MS has done something right with MSE, they can't promote it for fear of lawsuits or losing their manufactuer's agreements.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:33 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,022,270 times
Webroot used to be good, it went to crap in a handbasket. Uninstall it install MSE as suggested, and also install Malwarebytes and/or SuperAntiSpyware as backup scanners.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Webroot used to be good, it went to crap in a handbasket. Uninstall it install MSE as suggested, and also install Malwarebytes and/or SuperAntiSpyware as backup scanners.
Guys: You are ALL my ANGELS!!! If I could give you all triple reps, I would.

I unistalled Webroot, downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials, and MSE says: "Real Time Protection On, Virus/Spyware Definitions are up to date," and gave me a GREEN check-mark, so I am ASSUMING that they cleared up whatever was there?

Now, do I download the free download scan of Malwarebytes, as a backup scanner? And what else besides clicking on the free-download scan do I have to do? I want to make sure, I do not undo what MSE has done. Remember, I do not know much about computers. Thank you so much. And Happy Holidays to all of you.....

Old 12-18-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
Guys: You are ALL my ANGELS!!! If I could give you all triple reps, I would.

I unistalled Webroot, downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials, and MSE says: "Real Time Protection On, Virus/Spyware Definitions are up to date," and gave me a GREEN check-mark, so I am ASSUMING that they cleared up whatever was there?

Now, do I download the free download scan of Malwarebytes, as a backup scanner? And what else besides clicking on the free-download scan do I have to do? I want to make sure, I do not undo what MSE has done. Remember, I do not know much about computers. Thank you so much. And Happy Holidays to all of you.....
MSSE runs in real time but the green check mark doesn't guarantee there's no malicious files on your computer. Have it do a full scan (will take a while) so it can check everything on your hard drive.

The free version of Malwarebytes only does something when you launch it and run a scan. It doesn't run at Windows startup and doesn't consume any system resources when you're not running it. Be sure to update (go to the "update" tab within the program) it before running a scan.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
MSSE runs in real time but the green check mark doesn't guarantee there's no malicious files on your computer. Have it do a full scan (will take a while) so it can check everything on your hard drive.

The free version of Malwarebytes only does something when you launch it and run a scan. It doesn't run at Windows startup and doesn't consume any system resources when you're not running it. Be sure to update (go to the "update" tab within the program) it before running a scan.

I could not find the tab for the "update version" unless I update to the full version, which I will have to buy, and they will give me 20% off the full price. Is this what you are talking about? Thank you,

Old 12-18-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I could not find the tab for the "update version" unless I update to the full version, which I will have to buy, and they will give me 20% off the full price. Is this what you are talking about? Thank you,
Are you sure you have MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and not some other program? Within the MalwareBytes user interface, there are a series of tabs running left to right. One of those tabs is marked "update".

Old 12-18-2009, 05:29 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,022,270 times
Quote:
First make sure you have Malwarebytes, then install it and run it, there will be tabs at the top, one is update, click it and click the update button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers