Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:57 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
Well, since I cannot seem to be able to download anything for free, do you think I should contact Webroot back, and ask them to re-install me again, since it is paid until 12/2011? Thank you,
No. You already have MSSE installed which is good. Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware are just additional programs that are good to have but not totally necessary, especially if you don't know that you actually have undetected malware on your computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 04:33 PM

449 posts, read 877,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
No. You already have MSSE installed which is good. Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware are just additional programs that are good to have but not totally necessary, especially if you don't know that you actually have undetected malware on your computer.
Okay, so I am going to keep MSE, and after January 6, I will try again to install one of the two above, if they are for free. Thanks again, E/C, beautiful State..............Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2009, 05:23 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
Okay, so I am going to keep MSE, and after January 6, I will try again to install one of the two above, if they are for free. Thanks again, E/C, beautiful State..............Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't understand why your having such a tough time with this, Malwarebytes has a free version, they always have, nothing will change after x-mas.

This is the direct download link.
http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteI...mbam-setup.exe

Old 12-19-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I can't understand why your having such a tough time with this, Malwarebytes has a free version, they always have, nothing will change after x-mas.

This is the direct download link.
http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteI...mbam-setup.exe
Before, when I went to Malwarebytes.org, I was switched to CNET immediately thereafter, and at the beginning said "free," but later on it switched to " purchase."

Anyway, I did download it, [a million thanks to you,] and took a quick scan. I have an updated version from 3289 to version 3395. I just hope that all that is compatible with my Windows 7, Internet Explorer 8, Windows Vista-32 bit. I am throwing in all these things, in case something strikes you as "wrong," and you can guide me.

Anyway,Malwarebyte's found that it had a "Hijack.Start Menu," which it says it is a "Registry Data Item." listed as H key_Current_User\Software\Micro......whatever that means.

I do have "Uniblue," which is a Registry Booster. Is there any connection to this?

You might probably be laughing at all the things I listed above, because to be honest with you................I have no idea what they mean.

In any event, my thanks to you again, let's hope for the best, and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Registry Booster is trash. Uninstall it along with anything else from that company. Let MalwareBytes remove whatever it finds.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:52 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Get rid of any uniblue software and do not use registry cleaners! They are not needed.
All of the software you just downloaded is compatible with Windows 7.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Registry Booster is trash. Uninstall it along with anything else from that company. Let MalwareBytes remove whatever it finds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Get rid of any uniblue software and do not use registry cleaners! They are not needed.
All of the software you just downloaded is compatible with Windows 7.

Okay, guys, I am going to listen to both of you, and disable Uniblue. I have learned my lesson the hard way...........costly. The next time I come across something else, I will hope you help me again, Happy Holidays to you and yours............

Old 12-21-2009, 06:32 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
If you go to this page: AVG Free - Download Free Comparison and look down at the bottom of the three comparison columns, you will see a button labeled "Download Now" under the column describing the features of the free edition of AVG 9.0. That will take you to CNET's download site where you can get a copy of the free edition of AVG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers