Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:42 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,950,244 times

Advertisements

My gateway hd failed so I got a new one at newegg.. it was bare bones but I already have a XP pro disc for the gateway so figured no problem .. yep I got the right hd and its hooked in ok but now it wont load the WHOLE OS .. am I missing something .. ?? the keyboard wont work very strange and I need to hit enter to get the system to partition .. any one have idea whats wrong? this is a gateway GM5066E machine .. 3 yrs old
now what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 03:12 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,314,186 times
I'm a little unclear as to how far you got in your installation. Are you saying that it only loaded a portion of the OS?

Also, it sounds like you have the restore disc that came with the computer. Am I correct? If this is the case, you may not be able to use that on a new hard drive. The restore discs are typically proprietary, meaning they can only work on the hard drive that was already installed on your machine.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:18 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,084,155 times
Are you using an usb keyboard? That can be your problem.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:13 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,017,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
I'm a little unclear as to how far you got in your installation. Are you saying that it only loaded a portion of the OS?

Also, it sounds like you have the restore disc that came with the computer. Am I correct? If this is the case, you may not be able to use that on a new hard drive. The restore discs are typically proprietary, meaning they can only work on the hard drive that was already installed on your machine.
100% incorrect, in my 15 years I have yet to see a recovery CD locked to a hard drive, motherboard yes, not a hard drive, it would make it financially impossible for mfg's to replace hard drives under warranty if every drive needed a matched recovery CD.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
My gateway hd failed so I got a new one at newegg.. it was bare bones but I already have a XP pro disc for the gateway so figured no problem .. yep I got the right hd and its hooked in ok but now it wont load the WHOLE OS .. am I missing something .. ?? the keyboard wont work very strange and I need to hit enter to get the system to partition .. any one have idea whats wrong? this is a gateway GM5066E machine .. 3 yrs old
now what?
Ok, slow down and give a step by step of what you did to run the recovery and what happened, and what isn't working.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM

installed new HD.. then booted up to install the OS which is Windows2000 ( yep figured out the XP pro wasnt the windows system .. sheesh my bad ) anyways got to point of the system needs to partion and my keyboard isnt working .. Yes I WAS useing a usb board ( which is all I ever used on this pc ) so figured fine maybe the drivers werent installed yet so pulled out the old round plug in style one that goes in the back.. nope it doesnt even reguister .. light doesnt come on or anything .. VERY stange .. anyways .. I can wiggle it to get it to light up but it doesnt stay lit so it is useless .. I cant go forward with this new set up unless the keyboard works .. .. I was told by my kid I need a new motherboard now .. WTH!.. I can get anew computer for the cost of the hard drive and motherboard .. ( and I am conserding that idea right now ) Do I have to get a new mother board because the standard keyboard/ mouse hook up is bad?
I'm just a standard user .. no fancy gameing just some ( Diablo warcraft stuff ) I dont play on line unless its something like runescape .. so high end gaming gear isnt the need thye TV end of the thing IS.. which is why I had gotten the gateway mediaplex in the first place ..
Anyways .. I need to figure this out befor I go crazy .. any ideas ?

Old 12-01-2009, 06:13 PM

Did you restart the computer after pluggin in the PS2 (round) keyboard? They are not hot swapable, you shouldn't even be plugging them in with the PC on.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,551,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post

And the most common failure component is the hard drive

Old 12-02-2009, 11:08 AM

yup to both of you .. .. so anyone know what else to try

Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 PM

16,708 posts, read 15,705,282 times
It's possible that setting the SATA controller to IDE compatibility mode in CMOS may help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers