Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 01:38 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,045,533 times

Advertisements

OK, I've already Googled this, but I thought I'd put this question here to see if anyone has any ideas.

Does anyone know of a good browser plugin for Safari, Chrome, or even Firefox that will stop all additional loading of a webpage. It's seems to me that all browsers used to have "Stop Load" buttons that could do this. But now if there is one at all, it doesn't seem to work with most pages. Also I already have Reload Button installed in Safari, but it doesn't work to stop load a page.

Here is what I'm looking for. When I click on a link, the web page loads up perfectly. Then five or ten seconds later the article grays out and a notice pops up telling me, that if I want to actually read that article, I have to pay $500 to subscribe. I want to be able to stop loading the page, before that happens.

Another example, when I'm reading a long news article and I'm scrolled half way down through the article, suddenly the entire webpage automatically reloads on me. Then I have to scroll back down and try to find where I was reading at. Why would any website developer, think this is a good idea?

Finally I just want to be able to stop bloated web pages that seem to load endlessly. I can't stand watching a damn spinning ball for five minutes before I can start reading the page.

The one workaround I have found is print to PDF. Then view the page in a PDF viewer. But it doesn't always work, and it's a pain in the ass to do.

Now that I think about it, what is really needed is a "freeze" button for browsers. Click it and every thing on the page freezes, until you click it again.

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times
ESC (escape) to stop/cancel loading a page works usually but your issue sounds more to do with all the junk (ads, scripts, etc.) that you don't want anyhow so why not use an add-on such as NoScript and also Adblock Plus and see if things improved or not?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
ESC (escape) to stop/cancel loading a page works usually but your issue sounds more to do with all the junk (ads, scripts, etc.) that you don't want anyhow so why not use an add-on such as NoScript and also Adblock Plus and see if things improved or not?
Thanks for the ideas. I do have NoScript installed in Firefox. And I have AdBlock Plus and ClickToFlash installed in Safari. I've got all the ads blocked, but I do have a script problem. I just installed JavaScript Blocker. I'm going to play with that and see if it helps.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 AM

7,528 posts, read 13,659,709 times
In Firefox, if what you want to do is "Stop loading the current page while it's loading", click on the X that, during a page load, replaces the "Reload" "curved arrow" button in the Navigation toolbar

also see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...home-bookmarks

Old 08-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
In Firefox, if what you want to do is "Stop loading the current page while it's loading", click on the X that, during a page load, replaces the "Reload" "curved arrow" button in the Navigation toolbar
OK that doesn't work for what I'm talking about. For example look at this screen shot below. In this case I loaded the page. I clicked the "X" button (note that it is grayed out) right away. But the "Upgrade your access" tab in the lower right hand corner, still popped up even after I had clicked the "X" button. In this screen shot, LOL it is just blacking an ad anyway. But it will also block content that I'm trying to read. In some cases it can black the entire window.

I might be wrong but I believe the "X" button will also not stop scripts that cause some pages to automatically reload every five minutes or so.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 08-08-2013 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 05:37 PM

4,156 posts, read 3,076,958 times
I use Pale Moon (a Firefox variant)with a JavaScript toggle button. I turn off JavaScript for web sites with bad behavior, such as JavaScript pop-ups. One web site detects that JavaScript is off, and tries to send me to a page explaining that JavaScript must be enabled. No Redirect prevents that from happening. However, it can be tricky to enter the proper phrase into No Redirect in order to make this work.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I use Pale Moon (a Firefox variant)with a JavaScript toggle button. I turn off JavaScript for web sites with bad behavior, such as JavaScript pop-ups. One web site detects that JavaScript is off, and tries to send me to a page explaining that JavaScript must be enabled. No Redirect prevents that from happening. However, it can be tricky to enter the proper phrase into No Redirect in order to make this work.
Thats an interesting idea, but do websites these days even work with JavaScript turned off? When I turn off JavaScript, webpages don't even load for me. I think I gave up the idea of turning off JavaScript, sometime in the late 1990s. I do always block pop-up windows though.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:29 PM

4,156 posts, read 3,076,958 times
I keep JavaScript on by default, only turning it off for the minority of websites. City-Data, for instance is a well-behaved site, so there is no reason to turn JavaScript off. It probably depends on your viewing habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers