Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,350,651 times

Advertisements

MP3 player plugs directly into USB port in pc.

Driver keeps trying to install but not successful. Keeps doing it over and over again. Code 10.

Tried it on another pc... same results.

The MP3 player plays ok on it's own.... just won't connect to pc.

Tried all kinds of suggestions found on web... no luck. Even downloaded driver from manufacturer's site.

The USB ports working ok with regular thumb drives.... just not the MP3 player.

It worked fine one night and then the next day it stopped working.

I can still play the music on it, but can't add or remove anything now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:40 AM

8,360 posts, read 13,508,346 times
1. What make and model is this MP3 player?
2. What is your Operating System?
3. What make and model is your computer/laptop?

~ XP, Vista and 7 doesn't require any drivers for MP3 Player, it should be plug-n-pray (I believe) but if this is a software from vendor then it wouldn't hurt of course.
I never installed the software that came with my Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player. I just connect it to my computers (XP Pro and Windows 7) and it detects and list the player like any other flash drive and then I drag-n-drop mp3 in and out.

- Have you tried connecting the MP3 player to another USB port?
- Are you connecting to a USB 2.0 port or a USB 3 port?

~ On some PCs I have noticed not every USB port works the same way, for example on a Dell XPS 8300 the top USB connectors work fine with all Flash drives I tried but the front USB connectors didn't seem to provide enough juice for the Flash drives I have tried (2-3). However front panel USB connectors worked fine for the USB headphones.

Just some ideas and things for you to consider.

Here is a link to a site which has several good suggestions, check it out!

Old 08-23-2012, 05:19 AM

1. What make and model is this MP3 player? RCA TH1814
2. What is your Operating System? Vista HP
3. What make and model is your computer/laptop? Compaq Presario desktop

- Have you tried connecting the MP3 player to another USB port? Yes
- Are you connecting to a USB 2.0 port or a USB 3 port? USB 2.0

Here is a link to a site which has several good suggestions, check it out!

Thanks for the link. Interestingly on that link the originator had a problem with an RCA MP3 player too... different model though.

I deleted the filters like they recommended, but that didn't fix it. My other thumb drives work fine on the USB ports, just not the MP3 player (which has always worked well until recently).

I think this player may have lost it.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,240,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I think this player may have lost it.
This must be a rather old player. RCA has been out of this business for a while.

I think it is time to replace it. A Sansa or Creative unit is not expensive at all.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 AM

16,581 posts, read 19,785,065 times
Agree. Time to replace.

$35.00. Color Screen.
Amazon.com: SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories

Old 08-23-2012, 09:59 AM

Wonder of wonders!!!

Just got it to connect. I did another web search and someone suggested that you hold the Start button and keep pressing + when installing it into USB. It took several seconds before it recognized it. Now it's accessible and in Device Manager ..... under Portable Devices...... RCA MP3.

Kust unplugged it (safely) and then plugged back in and it's working fine again. The procedure forced something to happen and reset or reload..... I don't know how windows and a portable device like the mp3 player work so that the portable device is recognized...... anyone know?

Last edited by nezlie; 08-23-2012 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: update

Old 08-23-2012, 12:39 PM

16,581 posts, read 19,785,065 times
I'd still suggest getting the one I posted. Same memory as you have now with a lot more options and more compatibility and a way WAY WAY prettier screen.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Wonder of wonders!!!

Just got it to connect. I did another web search and someone suggested that you hold the Start button and keep pressing + when installing it into USB. It took several seconds before it recognized it. Now it's accessible and in Device Manager ..... under Portable Devices...... RCA MP3.

Kust unplugged it (safely) and then plugged back in and it's working fine again. The procedure forced something to happen and reset or reload..... I don't know how windows and a portable device like the mp3 player work so that the portable device is recognized...... anyone know?
Well, they used ROM type chips as memory which is volatile and the device as well it data can get corrupt.
It sounds like what you did was a soft reset which I had to do on my sister's iPod once. It might have happened due to some sort of an interruption during charge or data transfer sending the device into a seemingly kaput mode.

Glad you figured it out but if it occurs again under normal usage, as others mentioned too, it might be time or a new one.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:07 AM

Turco,

There are lots of suggestions out there on the web when you do a search on "mp3 player not connecting to pc." Lots of suggestions concerning usb fixes, drivers, etc. Many of them have worked for different people. I think I tried all of them. On another search, one person recommended doing that type of reset.... saying it worked for him. As it turned out it worked for me too. Btw, I had done the standard reset recommended in my player's manual which was to remove the battery and replace it with a fully charged battery..... that did nothing. I'm lucky I saw his post because I was very close to pitching it.

When this player goes, I will consider the one Peregrine suggested...... there are lots of good comments on it.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Turco,

There are lots of suggestions out there on the web when you do a search on "mp3 player not connecting to pc." Lots of suggestions concerning usb fixes, drivers, etc. Many of them have worked for different people. I think I tried all of them. On another search, one person recommended doing that type of reset.... saying it worked for him. As it turned out it worked for me too. Btw, I had done the standard reset recommended in my player's manual which was to remove the battery and replace it with a fully charged battery..... that did nothing. I'm lucky I saw his post because I was very close to pitching it.

When this player goes, I will consider the one Peregrine suggested...... there are lots of good comments on it.
Sorry for the late reply but yeah, I suggested the same one Peregrine suggested, well I have been using it for a few years now. The ticket for the Volume Down button broke but it has taken such abuse from me, it is not even funny. Once it fell when I was going like 30-35mph on my bike. I must have dropped it at least a dozen times from my waist (3+ feet) to ground (asphalt or concrete).
It is a great MP3 player as well, the sound, etc. probably the best bang for the buck imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers