Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 01:50 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,043,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Don't get all huffy and puffy. I simply said Microsoft has not automatically installed Windows 10 on anyone's machine unless that user actually agreed for the install. Don't tell me it's happened automatically because I know it cannot without user intervention. "installing" the patch to allow for the install files to be present on your machine is one thing. But actually installing the OS without your input is completely different.
It seems you don't know as much as you think you do

"Microsoft admits that Windows 10 has also been installing itself without permission on some computers"
And another claim by Microsoft that it's a bug that's been fixed.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...atic-installs/

Microsoft Confirms Some Windows 10 Upgrades Have Been Installing In The Background
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 03:04 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,494,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It seems you don't know as much as you think you do

"Microsoft admits that Windows 10 has also been installing itself without permission on some computers"
And another claim by Microsoft that it's a bug that's been fixed.

Forbes Welcome

Microsoft Confirms Some Windows 10 Upgrades Have Been Installing In The Background

Hhhmmm....and did Windows 10 automatically choose the partition to install itself on? Did it choose which files you wished to keep and wish not to? These are steps within the Windows 10 upgrade that I went through. Meaning, as I stated before, I don't see how Windows 10 would mysteriously install itself without some user intervention. Show me screen shots of the first installation windows that the user saw. I'm waiting....

Secondly, as I stated before, anyone who has their updates set for auto download/install has no reason to complain. They're basically telling Microsoft to install whatever they wish to install. Someone who actually is serious about security will have updates turned off and use an alternative means to install whatever patches they feel are safe. I just don't know why people make such a big fuss out of this when all it takes is a few steps on the user's end to ensure this doesn't happen.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:17 PM

Ahh I see. Microsoft isn't auto installing Windows 10 (according to you only), but if it is it's the users fault, got you figured out now

Old 11-11-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Ahh I see. Microsoft isn't auto installing Windows 10 (according to you only), but if it is it's the users fault, got you figured out now

According to you, you claim to be knowledgeable in IT, yet continue bitching and complaining about Microsoft and it's invasion of privacy, yet you didn't even know you could patch your machine without having updates turned on. Only reason why I commented was your smart aleck comment to me in another thread about the same subject that you seem determined to create multiple threads about. I simply said to turn off updates, find alternative means to patch your system (even gave examples), and if that isn't enough, go with something like Linux. Pretty simple and straightforward. Yet, you're hellbent on continuing to vilify Microsoft for wanting to push out something that they have charged over a $100 for in the past - for free. This is the first time Microsoft has done this. Also the first time they have tried to push out a complete OS upgrade through auto updates. And you expected it all to go perfectly? And will you be bitching about having to pay for the upgrade when the free upgrade period is over? Assuming, of course, you're still on Windows 7. And don't tell me it's a privacy issue thing. If you are that concerned over privacy, you wouldn't be using Windows or OSX in the first place.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
According to you, you claim to be knowledgeable in IT, yet continue bitching and complaining about Microsoft and it's invasion of privacy, yet you didn't even know you could patch your machine without having updates turned on. Only reason why I commented was your smart aleck comment to me in another thread about the same subject that you seem determined to create multiple threads about. I simply said to turn off updates, find alternative means to patch your system (even gave examples), and if that isn't enough, go with something like Linux. Pretty simple and straightforward. Yet, you're hellbent on continuing to vilify Microsoft for wanting to push out something that they have charged over a $100 for in the past - for free. This is the first time Microsoft has done this. Also the first time they have tried to push out a complete OS upgrade through auto updates. And you expected it all to go perfectly? And will you be bitching about having to pay for the upgrade when the free upgrade period is over? Assuming, of course, you're still on Windows 7. And don't tell me it's a privacy issue thing. If you are that concerned over privacy, you wouldn't be using Windows or OSX in the first place.
I know exactly how to patch without having auto updates on, now you're just making stuff up. I've created only one new thread about the subject, you might want to pay better attention.

I don't care what they want to offer for free, just because it's there doesn't make it worth having, you seem to be completely missing that point. Either way, I'm done wasting time on you

Old 11-11-2015, 09:38 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,818,224 times
Quote:
I know exactly how to patch without having auto updates on, now you're just making stuff up. I've created only one new thread about the subject, you might want to pay better attention.

I don't care what they want to offer for free, just because it's there doesn't make it worth having, you seem to be completely missing that point. Either way, I'm done wasting time on you

I will say what I've always said "there is no such thing as a free lunch" I have learned that in some cases the hard way. Nothing that I can think of is 100 percent free particularly having to do with a consumer product such as a computer. There's always some kind of catch so I still question the fact that they are giving an upgrade for free.
I would much rather have an upgrade that I'd have to pay for where I don't have to worry about anything than a free bugged/risky one. Now sure you can turn a lot of the stuff off in the beginning but the fact that you even have to do that...that privacy is not a default is a bad sign.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:41 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,819,957 times
They haven't had a good track record here lately with charging for 8, 8.1 or 8.2 which haven't been received with great fanfare - so I can see their strategy of giving this one away.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
You questioned me as to how people would patch their systems if updates were turned off, so I'm calling BS on this statement. If you know how to do so, then why would you question me and continue to complain about the upgrade? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Quote:
Never said it was worth having because it's free. As matter of fact, I never said I supported Windows 10. I'd be happy running Windows XP forever if it was supported. I just don't get the paranoia? I don't have anything on my computer that would cause me to panic if Microsoft or Google happened to be able to peer into it. Even so, I know I shouldn't be running Windows if I'm that paranoid to begin with.

But at any rate, happy bitching! The rest of us computer geeks think it's hilarious to see people's panties get in a bunch over Windows 10. But whatever passes the time, eh?

Old 11-11-2015, 11:23 AM

94 posts, read 78,509 times
I'm just going to burn Linux distributions onto disc and then hurl them violently at people's faces until they stick

Just kidding you guys
Most Linux distributions made past 2003 have NSA-spying programmed into them also

It's noo uuse

Old 11-11-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabenonymous View Post
I'm just going to burn Linux distributions onto disc and then hurl them violently at people's faces until they stick

Just kidding you guys
Most Linux distributions made past 2003 have NSA-spying programmed into them also

It's noo uuse
Probably best to use Qubes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers