Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 PM

243 posts, read 1,207,645 times

Advertisements

Ok computer people... I am stumped by this one. Need thoughts.

My fairly new HP quad core desktop ( p6616f ) with 6GB of ram recently started lagging between applications. Basically when opening a new browser tab, closing programs, etc. It hesitates for a moment. Sometimes it will pause music I am streaming for a moment too when the lag hit. But it doesnt happen ALL the time. Here and there.

Video card is a built in Radeon 4200. Could it be a shared video issue?

I thought it was the HDD, but ran a Bios test and it is not. So I reformatted the computer back to the factory settings from the partition ( I did not restore from back up). Problem is still there. Downloaded another program to inspect all hardware... no issues.

The problem only started in the past few months. I am at a loss on this one. This is the second time I have formatted this PC in the past 8 months.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 03:24 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
What is in the event logs?

How many AV scanners are you running at the same time?

Old 08-23-2012, 05:13 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
HP is well known for loading their computers up with bloatware, much of it running in the background. I would suggest uninstalling this junk and see if the problem goes away.

Have a look here if you're unsure where to start The PC Decrapifier Wipes Unwanted Junk | The PC Decrapifier

Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,532 times
It has only a 250W power supply, per HP Pavilion p6600 Desktop PC series*-* HP Pavilion p6616f Desktop PC Product Specifications - c02481322 - HP Business Support Center

If that model uses a standard ATX power supply, you could try getting a larger aftermarket one. People have run into power supply probs with the HP Elite series, especially if they increased RAM or added/upgraded a video card. 250W doesn't seen adequate to run any modern computer, to me.

Antec HCG-620 was recommended, here: Will a Dynex 520-watt power supply work in an hp p6616f computer - Power-Supplies-PC-Cases-Case-Mods - CPU-Components

Bad/weak capacitors is another thing that comes to mind. Those would worsen with time.

(disclaimer: I spent all of 4 minutes coming up with that answer. But bad power in a computer causes all kind of weird stuff.)

Old 08-25-2012, 08:53 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Ccleaner again. Top right corner of the web page.

Run it, go to the menu at the left click on Tools, click on Startup click on Save to Text File... Copy the text file to a post here so we can see what is running at start up.

Do the same for Uninstall on that same menu.

We'll let you know what to disable at start up (you will be able to re-enable) or remove from the PC. There's a lot of software out there that doesn't need to run at start up or shouldn't be on your PC.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:16 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
My fairly new HP quad core desktop ( p6616f ) .....
By todays standards a two year old computer is not considered new. The problem is not HP specific and there is very little bloatware compared to ten years ago. The issues of today is caused mainly by the amount of surfing that is done daily and the cumulative things it leaves in your computer. As you've probably noticed, each time you surf there are loads of ads running on each screen. All these add up and create background processes (and leave little trackers on your computer that access the net to optimize your ads) that really don't show it face until your computer starts slowing down on bootup, taking longer to load any browser, taking longer to jump to different sites and in the end slowing down programs. Most people say to use CCleaner basically because its free. I use Norton Utilities 15. Go to Ebay and spend the $8 and order a copy. When it comes, load it, run the Start Scan and let it do its thing. After that run it once a week is clean out your computer. On average it will show the needle right up the middle after each scan. Thats fine and all of the other stuff is not really going to help. The biggest problem today is the tons of garbage each webpage you visit leaves behind and its no longer as easy as just to a specific directory and erasing its contents.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02481322&lang=en&cc=us&task Id=130&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=4269976 &prodTypeId=12454

Old 08-25-2012, 01:12 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
I have an older HP product, a Compaq Presario, and ocassionally I get that pause too. When it happens, I go to Task Manager to see which processes are running and if there's anything out of the ordinary tying up resources (cpu or memory).

To go to Task Manager:

Right-click an empty area on the taskbar at bottom of screen and then click Task Manager.

My Compaq came loaded with bloatware also, and I had to spend time uninstalling it. Had to go through that again the last time I restored the system to original factory image from the partition.... yuck!!

Old 08-25-2012, 01:48 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
there is very little bloatware compared to ten years ago.
I would 100% disagree with this statement. Seeing many brands of computers brought in by clients, bloatware is alive and well.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:06 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I have an older HP product, a Compaq Presario, and ocassionally I get that pause too. When it happens, I go to Task Manager to see which processes are running and if there's anything out of the ordinary tying up resources (cpu or memory).

To go to Task Manager:

Right-click an empty area on the taskbar at bottom of screen and then click Task Manager.

My Compaq came loaded with bloatware also, and I had to spend time uninstalling it. Had to go through that again the last time I restored the system to original factory image from the partition.... yuck!!
During one of these pauses have you looked at the disk activity LED?

Old 08-25-2012, 04:25 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I would 100% disagree with this statement. Seeing many brands of computers brought in by clients, bloatware is alive and well.
What do you consider bloatware? I have a brand new HP Slimline desktop and a brand new Toshiba Ultrabook. Except for Windows, HP/Toshiba utility package, Norton, Office and Roxio (or similar burn s/w) neither has any other software titles. Neither has any icons or programs trying to sell me something. Thus I 100% disagree with your statement.

I set up a Lenovo yesterday for a friend at it had similar s/w loaded as mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers