Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 02:57 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Not worth more, just more mobile and well off to pick a city they want rather than default to the nearest one that has jobs. In state: Youngstown, Dayton, Akron, and Toledo combined have a large population, but don't offer much competition to Columbus and neither do dying towns along the lake, river, and Appalachian Ohio. They aren't moving to Columbus because it's a cool vibrant city, they're moving there because it's the closest place they can find a job.
Actually, it wouldn't say anything about mobility, only proximity to what they value. What would be the difference between finding what they value in the same state or having to go to another to find it? You project your own feelings about Columbus onto 76+ million, and simply assume they won't value it because you don't. That's neither scientific nor particularly honest. I don't expect you to ever change your tune, but perhaps one day you will gain enough humility to understand that you don't speak for an entire generation.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:07 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
In case you haven't noticed, Cleveland has more going on downtown than any city in Ohio. And didn't Ohio (specifically Cleveland) surpass Minnesota/Minneapolis in biotech heathcare start up money.? Seems like young high degree holding millennials have many reasons they are moving to ohio.
I didn't mention Cleveland or Cincinnati because unlike those other cities in Ohio they too are drawing in Ohioans from depressed cities and parts of the state along with some others from out-of-state. Of course Cleveland has more going on Downtown: it's had over 10,000 downtown residents for quite some time and is approaching 13,000 as of summer of 2014 and likely has surpassed that mark by now: roughly 2x the population of Downtown Columbus. It's good for Cleveland that it has biotech healthcare going for it, but one reason isn't "many". Millennials have many reasons to move to Portland, Minneapolis, etc, as evidenced by having more than twice as many neighborhoods chock full of Millennials and not surprisingly are also full of what Millennials want in a city. This is also reflected in the fact that Downtown Minneapolis has a population of 40,000: over 25,000 more residents than either Columbus or Cleveland. Out of Ohio's big cities Cincinnati is doing the best at attracting Millennials to an urban area as the city is on the verge of cracking the top ten spots of largest percentage of Millennials living in the city (12th) and largest percentage of Millennials being part of the city's growing population (15th) per allcolumbusdata.com. Once again, all without relying on annexing suburban sprawl.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:17 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Actually, it wouldn't say anything about mobility, only proximity to what they value. What would be the difference between finding what they value in the same state or having to go to another to find it? You project your own feelings about Columbus onto 76+ million, and simply assume they won't value it because you don't. That's neither scientific nor particularly honest. I don't expect you to ever change your tune, but perhaps one day you will gain enough humility to understand that you don't speak for an entire generation.
Am I projecting my values onto Millennials or are you? Here's a scientific and honest view for you. Whaddaya know? I'm counted along with the majority of Millennials. I'm not speaking on behalf of an entire generation. But most? Yes.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:40 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Am I projecting my values onto Millennials or are you? Here's a scientific and honest view for you. Whaddaya know? I'm counted along with the majority of Millennials. I'm not speaking on behalf of an entire generation. But most? Yes.
Access to public transportation sounds great until you live in an actual city which depends on it, then it's a necessary annoyance. Luckily, at least in boston, we have lots of private transit companies, not even just uber, filling in the gaps instead of just making ourselves completely dependent on political whims which change from administration to administration.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:54 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,141 times
Quote:
I didn't mention Cleveland or Cincinnati because unlike those other cities in Ohio they too are drawing in Ohioans from depressed cities and parts of the state along with some others from out-of-state. Of course Cleveland has more going on Downtown: it's had over 10,000 downtown residents for quite some time and is approaching 13,000 as of summer of 2014 and likely has surpassed that mark by now: roughly 2x the population of Downtown Columbus. It's good for Cleveland that it has biotech healthcare going for it, but one reason isn't "many". Millennials have many reasons to move to Portland, Minneapolis, etc, as evidenced by having more than twice as many neighborhoods chock full of Millennials and not surprisingly are also full of what Millennials want in a city. This is also reflected in the fact that Downtown Minneapolis has a population of 40,000: over 25,000 more residents than either Columbus or Cleveland. Out of Ohio's big cities Cincinnati is doing the best at attracting Millennials to an urban area as the city is on the verge of cracking the top ten spots of largest percentage of Millennials living in the city (12th) and largest percentage of Millennials being part of the city's growing population (15th) per allcolumbusdata.com. Once again, all without relying on annexing suburban sprawl.
I call BS. Cleveland is a city that inovates,produces and builds things. Steel, cars, salt from a great lake and now biotechnologies/ healthcare to name a few. We make things here. We already have the manufacturing/production that is being retooled for these new technologies. Wages are higher here than Portland with a lower cost of living..
"Rustbelt Chic" I think is the new hip term

Old 11-27-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Why are you using my own site to prove something it doesn't say? Nowhere in the numbers does it say where in any city this age group is moving to. This is the second time you've stated this. Prove it.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:

You misplace desire with need. People may desire to live in a place that perfectly fits everything they want, but such a place normally doesn't exist. They will instead choose the place that fits a reasonable amount of their needs. If it comes down to a decent job or the ability to take the train, they very well might take the former. There are plenty of examples of these choices.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:16 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
I call BS. Cleveland is a city that inovates,produces and builds things. Steel, cars, salt from a great lake and now biotechnologies/ healthcare to name a few. We make things here. We already have the manufacturing/production that is being retooled for these new technologies. Wages are higher here than Portland with a lower cost of living..
"Rustbelt Chic" I think is the new hip term
Actually, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, average hourly wages through June were Cleveland metro at $23.18, Columbus metro at $23.30, Cincinnati metro at 23.84 and Portland metro at $25.65.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Actually, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, average hourly wages through June were Cleveland metro at $23.18, Columbus metro at $23.30, Cincinnati metro at 23.84 and Portland metro at $25.65.
I suspect that once cost of living is factored in, those in Cleveland actually take home more on average.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:24 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I suspect that once cost of living is factored in, those in Cleveland actually take home more on average.
Until Portlanders sell their homes. Portlanders are sitting on huge nest eggs while Clevelanders are sitting on eggs that will barely hatch for more than they paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus