Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:56 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,151,398 times

Advertisements

I know this topic was discussed a bit in another thread, but it got me thinking about where Columbus performs within its peer group and also in the Midwest generally. I looked at cities and the age group of 25-34, arguably the most important group of the Millennial generation.

Here is the link to the numbers on the 33 different cities I looked at: Millennials and the City- A Comparison | All Columbus, Ohio Data

The bottom line was that Columbus ranked in the top 5 in almost every metric I looked at, from current population to growth rates. It blew away cities you would think it would be behind, such as Portland, San Jose and Minneapolis, as well as some of the boom cities like Charlotte, Orlando and Las Vegas. It even attracted more than Chicago since 2010.

So for all the talk about Columbus' terrible transit and supposed suburban nature, it seems to be able to strongly attract people within the Millennial generation. In fact, almost 50% of the city's total population growth since 2010 has been within the 25-34 age group. That's pretty incredible, imo.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:59 PM

539 posts, read 526,084 times
End of the day its a newer city with a big university and government jobs. There will always be an influx of young people.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:53 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,970,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I know this topic was discussed a bit in another thread, but it got me thinking about where Columbus performs within its peer group and also in the Midwest generally. I looked at cities and the age group of 25-34, arguably the most important group of the Millennial generation.

Here is the link to the numbers on the 33 different cities I looked at: Millennials and the City- A Comparison | All Columbus, Ohio Data

The bottom line was that Columbus ranked in the top 5 in almost every metric I looked at, from current population to growth rates. It blew away cities you would think it would be behind, such as Portland, San Jose and Minneapolis, as well as some of the boom cities like Charlotte, Orlando and Las Vegas. It even attracted more than Chicago since 2010.

So for all the talk about Columbus' terrible transit and supposed suburban nature, it seems to be able to strongly attract people within the Millennial generation. In fact, almost 50% of the city's total population growth since 2010 has been within the 25-34 age group. That's pretty incredible, imo.
These folks are moving there because of employment, not transit. Sh*tty transit means they drive cars in Columbus to get to their jobs. COL is lower. Portland, San Jose and most likely Minneapolis are more expensive. The other 3, who really wants to live in those places except for perhaps Charlotte.

Not a surprise about Chicago, stagnant employment, leading to stagnant population growth.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:03 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,108,461 times
Columbus has a lot more square mileage than almost all these other cities. Columbus is a mix of suburbs and city. Most of the other cities are purely city where there's very little room to build.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Columbus has a lot more square mileage than almost all these other cities. Columbus is a mix of suburbs and city. Most of the other cities are purely city where there's very little room to build.
What does square mileage have to do with anything? If you are concerned that difference in population because of city size skews the numbers, that is why I included both percentages and % of population, which would not be affected by city size. Columbus is still near the top.

I would also argue that the majority of these cities are actually not all that densely built. And in terms of city density, Columbus is in the upper half of its peers.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
End of the day its a newer city with a big university and government jobs. There will always be an influx of young people.
That might get people to come, but not necessarily to stay. The numbers suggest that young people are staying after graduation, so there are obviously other factors at play.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
These folks are moving there because of employment, not transit. Sh*tty transit means they drive cars in Columbus to get to their jobs. COL is lower. Portland, San Jose and most likely Minneapolis are more expensive. The other 3, who really wants to live in those places except for perhaps Charlotte.

Not a surprise about Chicago, stagnant employment, leading to stagnant population growth.
There are quite a few cities on the list that would be cheaper to live than Columbus and which have good economies yet are doing worse to much worse on attracting this demographic.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:34 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,108,461 times
Quote:
What does square mileage have to do with anything? If you are concerned that difference in population because of city size skews the numbers, that is why I included both percentages and % of population, which would not be affected by city size. Columbus is still near the top.

I would also argue that the majority of these cities are actually not all that densely built. And in terms of city density, Columbus is in the upper half of its peers.
For some of these cities, there's no room in city proper. They're small and dense and the older folks love their city so much they're not moving out.

Portland has a 2.7% vacancy rate. It was 6.5% ten years ago. Columbus is at 4.7% and was at 13.5% ten years ago. A lot more available spots were able to be filled in Columbus.

Last edited by SyraBrian; 11-18-2015 at 09:16 PM..

Old 11-18-2015, 08:36 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,970,602 times
Quote:
There are quite a few cities on the list that would be cheaper to live than Columbus and which have good economies yet are doing worse to much worse on attracting this demographic.
I was just going from the list you cited.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:23 AM

11,078 posts, read 12,551,102 times
Really not sure why "millennials" are just outright considered to be "good". I personally think more families in cities would be better than just a bunch of single 20 somethings. Because guess where these millennials go when they have a kid?

I get that 20 and 30 somethings do provide some energy and innovation. But I don't know, I'd be willing to bet that there are more millennials within five square miles where I'm writing this than in all of Columbus. They're not here because any vague concept of a city "did" anything to "attract" them. Plus, most of them will be leaving for somewhere else within a 1-3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus