Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,578,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
When you say more liberal-minded what do you mean? Do you believe in family values? Not attacking you just asking.
What exactly are "family values"? I believe in equality of opportunity for all people and a total and complete separation of church and state. I also believe in the rights of the worker over the subsidization of the corporation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:27 AM

5,492 posts, read 8,336,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
What exactly are "family values"? I believe in equality of opportunity for all people and a total and complete separation of church and state. I also believe in the rights of the worker over the subsidization of the corporation.
I know many conservatives that believe in equality of opportunity for all people too. By family values I mean a host of things. Being loyal to your spouse, putting family first, self control, things of that nature.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:03 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,199,615 times
Quote:
I know many conservatives that believe in equality of opportunity for all people too. By family values I mean a host of things. Being loyal to your spouse, putting family first, self control, things of that nature.
Uh Oh. Looks like that definition excludes Gov. Sanford

Old 07-15-2009, 11:06 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,578,833 times
Quote:
I'm afraid I don't see any of that as being any of the government's business so I don't see that as being part of any political belief system. I do wish something could be done about the state's high rate of domestic violence - it is a fact that we should all be ashamed of.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I'm afraid I don't see any of that as being any of the government's business so I don't see that as being part of any political belief system. I do wish something could be done about the state's high rate of domestic violence - it is a fact that we should all be ashamed of.
I'm not talking about the government. I believe they have been a crutch for some who are just plain lazy. I'm speaking from a personal stand point. I do believe some of my views are conservative. If people valued things more and respected others the domestic violence rate would decrease. Too many people commiting adultery amongst other things. Lack of self control. Everything we do affects someone else even if we don't see it. We may not care, but it does matter.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:27 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,199,615 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about the government. I believe they have been a crutch for some who are just plain lazy. I'm speaking from a personal stand point. I do believe some of my views are conservative. If people valued things more and respected others the domestic violence rate would decrease. Too many people commiting adultery amongst other things. Lack of self control. Everything we do affects someone else even if we don't see it. We may not care, but it does matter.
I am about as liberal-minded as they get. However, I cannot deny your point. I would modify it to state that if people respected and valued themselves more, as well as others, then we would have less violence, etc.

Conservatives and liberals should be able to agree on that point. In retrospect, I would hope that this is a point that would not come down to whether one is conservative or liberal.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I am about as liberal-minded as they get. However, I cannot deny your point. I would modify it to state that if people respected and valued themselves more, as well as others, then we would have less violence, etc.

Conservatives and liberals should be able to agree on that point. In retrospect, I would hope that this is a point that would not come down to whether one is conservative or liberal.
Your right. That's one reason I don't claim one or the other, but like I said; I realize some of my views are conservative and some are probably liberal.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:04 PM

737 posts, read 1,656,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
No city in SC in in danger of becoming "too liberal" anytime soon.
LOL, aint that the truth.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:37 AM

12,942 posts, read 18,797,524 times
I'm a fiscal conservative and an social liberal. I'll never complain about taxes as long as they can show me my taxes have been spent well without waste. I can't stand waste.

And it's no government official's or any government entity's business who besides me is between my sheets. And I should have the right to marry someone I love if their feelings and desire to marry are mutual, no matter if they are the opposite sex or the same.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:29 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,474,175 times
I just read all 8 pages of this thread, and find it interesting that people are judging the 3 biggest cities in SC on voting patterns. While they tend to be a start in judging an area, keep in mind that who a city or metro votes for has almost nothing to do with the experience one will have there.

Since I am from Greenville, and this is a Columbia forum, I will use Charleston as an example. It voted slightly in favor of Obama during the last election, but spend any time in Charleston and you will see that Charleston feels like a very conservative city - because it IS. I don't need to look at voting records to realize the Old South vibe in Charleston - Lowcountry accents, seersucker suits, lazy days on the beach, plantations-turned-tourist-attractions, etc. It tends to be slower and laid back compared to Columbia and Greenville, perhaps because it is more tourist-oriented than business-oriented. Nowhere else in SC (and perhaps even in the South) do you get such a high degree of Southern pride. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you move to Charleston expecting a non-conservative area simply based on voting patterns you will be sorely disappointed.

Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville are all fine cities, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Each one is a growing, mid-sized city. If someone is interested in learning more, I would recommend that they move beyond the statistical data and visit for themselves. Spend plenty of time there, talking to people, seeing how they act, evaluating how happy they seem to be. That will give you a much better handle on an area than putting people in a category of conservative or liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area