Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:16 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,578,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
And what about Columbia's "Southern Patriot Shop"? They have a huge rebel flag flying for everyone at the I-26 / I-77 junction to see in the southern part of the city. Liberal????? I think not.

SPLCenter.org: 'Heritage' for Sale
Again, that is in Lexington County not Columbia or Richland County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
"Liberal" and "democrat" are not interchangeable terms. Look at California where 80% of the black population voted against same sex marriage. I know plenty of black people who vote democrat, but are FAR from liberal.

I travel a great deal and can name many liberal cities (Seattle, Burlington, Charlottesville, Austin, Boise, Madison, Portland, etc, etc)......Columbia is not one of that genre. Sorry.
Boise is not a liberal city by any stretch and I'd be willing to bet that Columbia is at least as liberal as Charlottesville. I told the OP that Columbia is not liberal by NYC standards, but that it is for South Carolina.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:19 PM

11,709 posts, read 24,819,290 times
Is Lexington County located in the Columbia MSA?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Is Lexington County located in the Columbia MSA?
Yes. Is Laurens County in the Greenville MSA?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:37 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,586,421 times
I'd say Columbia is more liberal because of the college town presence but once you get into the suburbs it's still the Bible Belt. As for transplants I really couldn't tell ya, I believe more transplants in Columbia would come from Charlotte while more transplants may come from both Charlotte and Atlanta in Greenville. Though they still would not compare to the number of transplants in Charleston.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:21 PM

10,971 posts, read 22,004,638 times
People are people. You'll make friends no matter where you live. Choosing a city over the way the majority voted is probably not the best way to choose. Visit both and see which one feels more like a home to you. I've lived in the upstate, the midlands, and the lowcountry and I've never noticed much difference in any of the locations except the landscape (except for Hilton Head which is it's own unique hell).

Old 01-04-2009, 11:56 PM

293 posts, read 827,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Boy you guys have me laughing. For the record, BJU is evolving and did you know black students attend the school and he apologized for past behavior? Maurice's didn't apologize for jack and the redneck shop is actually in Laurens and couldn't even stand in Greenville. They would be run out. Decision to fly the confederate flag came from government, which is in guess what city?
Cut it out...it's not secret that mostly all the "high ranking" government office politican's are from the upstate area. Where is Lindsey Graham from? {Central in Union County in the Upstate} Where was Carol Campbell from {Greenville}, Where was Richard Riley from {Greenville County}, Where is Jim DeMint from? {Greenville}, Where did Mark Sanford graduate from? {Furman in Greenville}(okay i'm pushing it with that one), and i could continue. Most of the influential politicians in this state come from 2 areas....Greenville or Charleston...it's always been like that historically. Columbia was created b/c of that reason...so please take that "decision to fly the flag via government being in Columbia" line and keep it with you b/c that's a terrible attempt to make a persuasive argument with facts.

The last governer from the Columbia area was from 1903-07 {Duncan Heyward} and actually was born in Richland County and raised in Collecton county. It's a well known fact that the rural area representation is the reason for many heartache in this state...not Columbia.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:04 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,873,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Boise is not a liberal city by any stretch
Check again. Thanks to all the movement from over-priced San Fran and other California cities to the inter-mountain cities, Boise has turned out to be quite the liberal enclave.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:06 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,876,622 times
Quote:
"Liberal" and "democrat" are not interchangeable terms. Look at California where 80% of the black population voted against same sex marriage. I know plenty of black people who vote democrat, but are FAR from liberal.

I travel a great deal and can name many liberal cities (Seattle, Burlington, Charlottesville, Austin, Boise, Madison, Portland, etc, etc)......Columbia is not one of that genre. Sorry.
From what I have heard, Boise is far from liberal. I believe there is a large Mormon population there.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,885,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSouth803 View Post
Most of the influential politicians in this state come from 2 areas....Greenville or Charleston...it's always been like that historically. Columbia was created b/c of that reason.
You make a good point here. Honestly speaking, if it weren't for Sen. Glenn McConnell from Charleston, that flag probaby wouldn't even be flying on Statehouse grounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area