Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Some of you guys act like it's a bad thing our cities are conservative. There's nothing wrong with that. If you don't like the conservative way of life here than you can move. Plain and simple. I am a liberal democrat myself and I like living here even if I might be in the minority. Greenville is ranked as one of the top 15 conservative areas in the country. Columbia is more liberal. We can argue back and forth about it all day and night but that is the truth.
Thank you, G-man; you've more succinctly stated the point I've tried to get across. All I've been saying is that Greenville prides itself on being conservative, yet some on this forum try to make it out to be some hidden liberal stronghold. I've never said Columbia is liberal by national standards (ie NYC or SF), but compared to most of South Carolina it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 AM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
What exactly does it mean to be liberal? I am just me with morals and values. Whats does that make me? I claim neither.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
What exactly does it mean to be liberal? I am just me with morals and values. Whats does that make me? I claim neither.
In my opinion, "liberal" means being open-minded, tolerant, not overly religious, comfortable with different races and ethnicities, gay people, mixed-marriages, opposed to senseless wars and modern thinking.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:24 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
In my opinion, "liberal" means being open-minded, tolerant, not overly religious, comfortable with different races and ethnicities, gay people, mixed-marriages, opposed to senseless wars and modern thinking.
Biased much?

Old 01-06-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It was a joke. LOL.
LOL. Maybe I overreacted but don't let it happen again.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:37 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
LOL. Maybe I overreacted but don't let it happen again.
Yes sir.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Biased much?
Of course I have my biases.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Of course I have my biases.
LOL. If you're that liberal you might not want to move here.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:58 PM

That was the point of my post. I wanted to learn whether it was a place we could look into further. Same for Greenville. Thank you for your responses. Oh, and it's funny that you think I'm "that" liberal. I'm really not extreme. I would say a moderate liberal. I believe in God, but I am not overly religious, I am married to a man and we have a child, I don't always recycle, even though I should, and I do not care about diversity in my child's school as much as I care about the academics and how educated the parents are. Not everything we eat is organic and sadly, I don't volunteer in soup kitchens or feel that welfare recipients should not be expected to get training and find work if offered. I am being sarcastic in terms of the recycling and organic food, but I'm serious about the rest. No two liberals are alike, just like conservatives.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
I'm not religious but spiritual, definitly comfortable with different races as I'm black and was in a mixed-marriage and still date that way, I'm opposed to war but believe in thinking outside of the box. I don't believe that the universe is designed for a man to be with a man or vice versa thats why they can't make babies, but I have nothing against those that choose that way and don't think any punishment will come to them for choosing so. For me there are just too many fine women to think of that. Like Obama said, I think that choice is ultimately up to that person and his/her loved ones although I and my family don't believe that way. You can't take one of these become extreme with it and call a city or person liberal or conservative based on it. For that reason I believe I'm neither, because I think extremes are insane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area