Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that there should be more free campgrounds?
Yes, provided by our National government. 2 20.00%
Yes, provided by our State. 4 40.00%
Yes, governed and regulated by volunteers. 4 40.00%
No. 4 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 9,565 times

Advertisements

I am a single father of two wonderful , "Principle's List" children whom love the outdoors. We reside in Lexington County, S.C. and frequent our local hiking trails and "National Parks".

We have hiked the trails of, and camped out at, our "Congaree Swamp National Monument" and loved it, but due to the challanges of being a single income family, we are hoping to find other places that are "FREE" to camp in our State.

Would anyone happen to know of any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 12:17 PM

316 posts, read 975,673 times
Maybe this will help. Not all the sites listed are free, but some of them are.
Camp Grounds

Old 11-03-2008, 05:42 AM

843 posts, read 2,746,720 times
I think it's great that you've got your kids involved in the appreciation of nature and the outdoors. I've just recently got my daughter interested in going fishing with me, and I've taken her hiking a few times.

You may already know, but a state park pass is $25 a year and that gets you access to every state park in SC. I don't think minors need one, but you might want to look into that. It's not free, but it could open up a lot of opportunities for a cost of less than $0.50/weekend. Here's the SC Parks site: South Carolina State Parks

And congratulations on the diligence of your children in their studies. Perhaps you could incorporate the two on your camping trips. Stop by the public library and pick up a book or two on identifying birds native to the Eastern US or other fauna and foliage.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:56 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
I'll second the recommendation of the state parks. They aren't free, but the cost is nominal. The Columbia area has 2 state parks - Dreher Island on Lake Murray and Sesquicentennial ("Sesqui" to the locals) in Northeast Columbia.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:08 AM

843 posts, read 2,746,720 times
And over here is Poinsett State Park & Manchester State Forrest

Old 07-13-2011, 10:59 PM

125 posts, read 286,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleyndn View Post
I am a single father of two wonderful , "Principle's List" children whom love the outdoors. We reside in Lexington County, S.C. and frequent our local hiking trails and "National Parks".

We have hiked the trails of, and camped out at, our "Congaree Swamp National Monument" and loved it, but due to the challanges of being a single income family, we are hoping to find other places that are "FREE" to camp in our State.

Would anyone happen to know of any?
The National Forest in South Carolina have free camping outside the established camp areas but you have to fill out a form and leave it at the ranger stations. You can walk from the Palmetto Trail in Newberry and camp anywhere you can as long as it is not on the someone's private property.

Lynches Woods just outside of Newberry has free camping also. you just have to call the number when you get there to let them know you are camping. There is a porta pot but you'll have to walk to it to get to it.

The Palmetto Trail between Pomaria and Austin have several free campsites established. The best spot is right at the base of a very long walking bridge across the Broad River. That's one of my favorites. There are no facilities along these camp sites but the city of Peak is right across the river that have bathrooms you can use during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area