Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 05:38 PM

38 posts, read 211,075 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what lexington south carolina is like or even the columbia south carolina area? Is it pretty ? Is it nicer than charlotte north carolina?
I would appreciate anything you can tell me.
Sincerely,
Tammy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2006, 08:05 AM

29 posts, read 117,552 times
In my opinion it is nicer than Charlotte. Lexington is close to an internatinal airport, Lake Murray and right outside of Columbia. They are tons of jobs. I also attending Lexington High School in the 90's and it is a bigger school but I never felt like is was so huge you couldn't meet new people. If I could talk my husband in moving back I would in a heartbeat....he is native WV. Instead he likes NC better. Also the weather is really HOT. The humidity makes it seem so much hotter...but I liked that.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:42 PM

96 posts, read 374,553 times
I Just Got Back From Lexington And Columbia, S.c. Area. I Live In New York And Will Be Relocating To This Aea This Summer.
Lexington And Coumbia Are Just Beautiful. I Will Be Moving To The Lake Murray, S.c. Area Which Is About 10 Minutes From Lexington And About 25 - 30 Minutes From Columbia. We Were There 4 Days And Did Not Get To See All Of Columbia But What We Saw We Loved. We Visited The Lexington H.s. It Is A Big School. My Daughter Fell In Love With The School. They Have 80 Clubs (photography, Dance Team Etc). Much To Offer Their Students. In Talking To Builders And People In That Area Lexington 1 District Which Includes Lexington H.s. And Gilbert H.s. Are The Best Schools In The Area. 2 Builders Have Daughters In Lexington H.s. But Prefer Gilber H.s. Which Is A Smaller H.s. Another Builder Stated Gilbert Was More A Country H.s. I Also Spoke To Two Builders Whose Wives Taught At Lexington H.s. And Gilbert An Say Both Are Very Good Schools. Note: The Are We Will Be Living In Is Another District. Lexington 1 District Requires I Purchase A Piece Of Property In Either H.s. District (lexington Or Gilber) In Order For My Daughter To Attend One Of Those H.s. Also I Will Be Required To Pay A Tuition Close To 4,000. They Will Not Provide Transportation But That's O.k. My Daughter Will Be A Sophomore And In Freshman Year Will Be Driving. Well Worth It. If You Have Any Questions You Can E-mail Me.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:59 PM

29 posts, read 117,552 times
OMG did I read that right. Since when do you have to purchase property and pay for tuition and provide transporation to Lexington County district 1 schools. I didn;t know this, but it definately helps in our decision considering my husband now hates NC.

Or do you mean because you live out of district?

Last edited by Marka; 05-03-2006 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 09-09-2006, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 22,918 times
I don't know what Imperialbrowns is typing about. You do have to live in the school district, but you do not have to own property. I also have never heard anything about a $4k tuition. Lexington HS, White Knoll HS, and Gilbert HS are great. Gilbert is a small town, population about 600, no crime, and a great school. White Knoll is a new school, very large, and a very nice area. Lexington HS is the first high school in Lexington. All three are great it has more to do with your own preferences. We have a daughter at White Knoll and she enjoys it. We have bought land in Gilbert and will build on it in a couple of years, so my son will attend Gilbert HS.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:51 PM

96 posts, read 374,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucky View Post
OMG did I read that right. Since when do you have to purchase property and pay for tuition and provide transporation to Lexington County district 1 schools. I didn;t know this, but it definately helps in our decision considering my husband now hates NC.

Or do you mean because you live out of district?
HI BLUCKY,

HOPE IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO REPLY.

SORRY FOR THE MISUNDERSTANDING. I DID STATE IN MY MESSAGE THAT I WILL BE LIVING IN ANOTHER DISTRICT. THAT IS WHY I NEED TO PURCHASE PROPERTY IN LEXINGTON 1 DISTRICT AND PAY TUITION. LEXINGTON DISTRICT 1'S WEBSITE HAS A MAP WITH ALL TOWNS INCLUDED IN THEIR DISTRICT. UNFORTUNATELY WE MISS IT BY A FEW HUNDRED FEET.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:57 PM

5 posts, read 32,097 times
Smile Lexington SC is Beautiful.

Charlotte is nice, my mom lives in Indian Trail. I think it is too congested in Charlotte. My son goes to a Lex. 1 school, and we love it. He is doing great in school.We love Lexington, but are looking for a home and are also expanding to West Columbia as well. The Lex 2 area where Saluda Hills Elementary is and Northside Middle; which is the best middle school in the State. I hope this helps.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 32,097 times
I have never heard of that tuition either. I paid 28 dollars, and money all year for lunches at White Knoll Elementary.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:51 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,148,243 times
One little nit pick. The airport, Columbia Metropolitan Airport is NOT an international airport. Here's a list of carriers and cities they serve.

Allegiant Air - St Petersburg, Fl
American Eagle - Dallas
Delta - Cincinnati
Delta - Orlando
Delta - Atlanta
Delta - LaGuardia
Continental Express-Houston
Continental Express-Newark
Northwest - Detroit
Northwest - Memphis
United Express-Washington Dulles
United Express-Chicago
US Airways Express-Charlotte
US Airways Express-Philadelphia
US Airways Express-Washington National

(from http://www.columbiaairport.com/flightschedule.pdf)

I will add that, at least on USAirways, it is usually cheaper to fly from Columbia through Charlotte, than to drive to Charlotte and catch the same connecting flight.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 10,470 times
Hi Everyone, I am a yankee(Massachusetts) in need of some help. My husband's job is relocating us to Columbia, SC. I am looking for a place to live close to Columbia but not in with nice neighborhoods and good schools. My kids are only 3 and 6. We are very excited about this opportunity. He was supposed to goto Charlotte but the company is now sending him to Columbia. We visited Charlotte and really liked it. Never made it to SC. Any opinions as to best places to live? Thanks for all help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area