Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:16 PM

60 posts, read 387,462 times

Advertisements

Which City Is Better For African Americans Based On Cost Of Living/ Nightlife And Amenities, Social Acceptance And Beauty. Rank Them In Order From 1 Being The Best To 4 Being The Worst.
The Choices Are. Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, Myrtle Beach.

Number #1 For Me Is Columbia. It Seems Like There Is A Nice Population Affordable And Somewhat Democratic For A Conservative State. There Are Tons Of Ammenities, A Zoo, Malls Good Schools And Nightlife.

Number #2 Charleston. Charleston Definately Has A Large Population Of Minorities And The Flavor Of The City Is Exciting. Charleston Is Vibrant And Lively. The Cost Of Living Here Seems A Little High Though Combined With The Higher Hurricane Risk.

Number#3 Myrtle Beach. Which Is Ok Town Very Pretty. However A Little Transient. Newcomers Would Definately Be Welcomed Though. This Isn't A Good Town To Start A Family, But If You Love The Beach And The Feel Of Being On Vacation 365 Days A Year Here Is The Place To Be.

Number#4 My Least Desired Greenville. Very Conservative And Right-winged. A Little Backwards And Not As Accepting Of Minorities. Greenville May Be A Little Too Small For Minorities To Actually Network. There Really Isn't Much Diversity Here Atleast Not As Much As In Charleston Or Columbia. The Mountains Are Near But Personally I Would Rather Live Closer To The Beach And Go To The Mountains On Weekends. It Gets Just As Hot In The Upstate During The Summer But The Idea Of Dealing With Tremendous Snow And Ice In The Winter Is Not Appealing.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:14 PM

57 posts, read 220,791 times
I hear there are blacks in SC, even in Columbia, which is why I presume you posted this missive here? Ok then.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:37 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbbqer View Post
I hear there are blacks in SC, even in Columbia, which is why I presume you posted this missive here? Ok then.
I don't think the poster is asking whether or not black people live in the above mentioned cities, but rather is asking for feedback from other people's experiences there. As white people, we tend to be a bit oblivious to the fact that other races and ethnicities have certain interests, needs, and cultural norms that are unique to them. There is nothing racist, nor prejudicial about acknowledging these differences, which can include entertainment, dating, food, community resources, and businesses, among other things. I also gathered that the poster is asking about race relations in these cities, which is a very legitimate question. Another thing that we white people tend to do is deny that racism exists. This is because we don't have the same life experiences or history as other races do. Just because something is a non-issue for you, that does not mean that it is a non-issue for somebody else. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to at least try to imagine walking in somebody else's shoes for a minute.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:55 PM

60 posts, read 387,462 times
Yes There Are Blacks Everywhere Just As Any Race That Is Not What I'm Asking. I'm Asking About How Tolerant Or Accepting People Are Of Other Races. Any Educated Adult Realizes That Just About Any Race Can Be Found In The Four Corners Of The World, However I Know That Racism And Injustice Does Exist And I Being A Multiracial Individual Myself Face It More Intensely Than Some Others I Was Ranking Cities Based On Factors And Hoped Other Members Would Give Insight.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:59 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,531,392 times
There is a troll that often comes on different parts of this forum, I am told, who often capitalizes the first letter of every word. What a strange habit.

As far as blacks in SC - the population of South Carolina is one-third black, so I would hardly think that blacks are much of a minority. We aren't talking about North Dakota here. Blacks and whites live together in SC, without much thought about it.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:37 AM

737 posts, read 1,653,881 times
Black in SC from a first hand experience Columbia by far and away, at least among Columbia, Greenville, and Myrtle Beach. Can't compare Chucktown since I haven't lived there though.

"Whoops" didn't see the bridge sign Nausikaa thanks.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:15 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
Columbia is the best choice. It's also ranked in the top 10 in the country I believe of blacks moving to the area from out of state

Old 06-15-2008, 01:08 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,879 times
Cola, (North) Charleston, MB .................................................. . Greenville.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 30,335 times
What about Denmark, SC. A small town...what you think? Majority black private school in the town. Does anyone have any info. on Demark. I am planning on moving there for a year.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:29 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,387 times
I think you don't know much about Greenville, it is a very Gay-Friendly, and very minority-enriched community. Greenville is Liberal in the downtown area, just like Columbia, but the suburbs are Conservative - once again just like in Columbia. Don't let stereotypes fool you.

But it is true that the further up the state you get the fewer blacks there are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area