Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:49 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
it is true that the further up the state you get the fewer blacks there are.
That's my point. Demographics.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:53 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
I think you don't know much about Greenville, it is a very Gay-Friendly, and very minority-enriched community. Greenville is Liberal in the downtown area, just like Columbia, but the suburbs are Conservative - once again just like in Columbia. Don't let stereotypes fool you.

But it is true that the further up the state you get the fewer blacks there are.
I really don't know what quantitative data exists that shows Greenville is gay-friendly, even in the downtown area. Even though the city of Greenville is a smaller section of their metro, it still doesn't have any anti-discrimination laws that include their gay and lesbian citizens, whereas Columbia and Charleston have for years. The evidence is anecdotal, at best. Of course, this thread is about which areas as best for blacks and the best areas for blacks are not always the best for gays and vice-versa.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:41 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I really don't know what quantitative data exists that shows Greenville is gay-friendly, even in the downtown area. Even though the city of Greenville is a smaller section of their metro, it still doesn't have any anti-discrimination laws that include their gay and lesbian citizens, whereas Columbia and Charleston have for years. The evidence is anecdotal, at best. Of course, this thread is about which areas as best for blacks and the best areas for blacks are not always the best for gays and vice-versa.
Well most every store in downtown Greenville has the pride flag on it. If it was the ultra-Conservative area that stereotypes make it, that would not be happening. Greenville has a smaller downtown area than Columbia, which is why (I guess) that the stats wouldn't show as much. Indeed this thread is about Blacks, but usually gay-friendly cities signify that race, or anything of that nature, is not an issue, and it never should be since you can't control what race you are born as (but there are those who fake being gay...you can't really 'fake' being a race....or can you?)

Old 06-17-2008, 05:46 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Well most every store in downtown Greenville has the pride flag on it. If it was the ultra-Conservative area that stereotypes make it, that would not be happening. Greenville has a smaller downtown area than Columbia, which is why (I guess) that the stats wouldn't show as much. Indeed this thread is about Blacks, but usually gay-friendly cities signify that race, or anything of that nature, is not an issue, and it never should be since you can't control what race you are born as (but there are those who fake being gay...you can't really 'fake' being a race....or can you?)
It is probably much more difficult to appear to be a different race than you are, although I'm sure there are some that have tried. It's a shame that anyone would want to try and be something that they're not.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:49 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
It's a shame that anyone would want to try and be something that they're not.
Well spoken.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:06 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyinah View Post
What about Denmark, SC. A small town...what you think? Majority black private school in the town. Does anyone have any info. on Demark. I am planning on moving there for a year.
There is nothing in Denmark.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:24 PM

28 posts, read 121,621 times
Denmark is in the woods. Just outside of Blackville/Barnwell. Certainly not the most liberal city in SC, I would flat out advise you to not go there, personally. My grandmother's side of the family have their reunions up there, and it looks like the type of place where the Klan still operates.
Columbia is definitely the most liberal city in SC. Followed by Charleston, then by MB (they do actually have an annual Black Biker's Week every summer). If you have kids I wouldn't say to go to MB, stick with Columbia and Charleston. Forget about Greenville, it's the lowest metropolitan city on the totem pole for good reason.
More info at Visit.SC.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:57 PM

28 posts, read 121,621 times
oh, and btw, why would anyone want to fake 'being gay'?
In South Carolina????

Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrrl29 View Post
oh, and btw, why would anyone want to fake 'being gay'?
In South Carolina????
I dunno. Better clothes?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:41 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Why is this even a discussion? I ignored this thread for a while but last time I checked segregation went out of style a long time ago. Granted the south is typically a little behind the times but you won't have crosses burned in your yard by people wearing ghost outfits and dunce caps if that's what you're worried about. If you hang out with the right people race or sexual preference won't be an issue anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area