Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2022, 01:20 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

There was a quote from the Chamber of Commerce Executive "Probably the fastest growing in the State of South Carolina". I assume he is talking about the Town of Blythewood? If he is.. is that accurate or just good ole fashion chamber bolstering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 04:07 PM

333 posts, read 214,694 times
I would not be surprised if it were Google. They purchased the land across i77 back in 2007, but the county announced they were investing in making the land, where Project Golden Eagle is supposed to be located, into a business park a few years ago. Maybe Google jumped on that opportunity and is planning on selling their old land to a developer in the future. Plus, here's a story from last year reporting how google is planning on investing $7 billion in offices and data centers across the country that would create over 10,000 jobs. It also said they were planning on investing over $500 million to expand it's footprint in Berkeley county and across our state. Again, this is an article from last year but things could have changed to cause them to want to invest more. Maybe the price of land went up too high in another state and they decided to invest more here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liv...outputType=amp

Old 12-20-2022, 06:07 AM

518 posts, read 435,510 times
Dick's Sporting Goods on Two Notch in the Target Shopping Center near Clemson has a closing date of 12/31/2022. They have a sign at the entrance.
We really don't go there much. Academy is cheaper and then Amazon crushes them.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:26 AM

What in the world is going on in Cola-Richland?! There is like a shooting every day and many resulting in homicide. I am just a little taken aback by the frequency and there doesnt appear to be any reaction by the powers that be.. I mean Sheriff Lott used to be on the news daily talking about gangs and related challenges and how the City/County need to work together. I also know that former Mayor Benjamin was badgered frequently about crime.. But this recent spate of violence.. doesnt seem to be any reaction from anyone..unless I missed something.

I dont know what the answer is.. Clearly crime is shifting into the NE and up Broad River which has been occurring for decades then you have the pockets in North Columbia that continue to be problematic. I am still hoping that the CPD and RCSD at some point merge into a Metro Police Department as I dont get the sense that they coordinate well as separate entities... but I guess we shall see.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:34 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
Seems like it’s bad in the unincorporated parts of the county. You would think they would want to merge.

Old 12-23-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Seems like it’s bad in the unincorporated parts of the county. You would think they would want to merge.
If it ever got put on the ballot I am sure the voters would support it.. Charlotte Mech has a joint police department and I believe Augusta -Richmond just has a Sheriff's Office and no police department. I am sure the Powers that be in Richland and the City are and would be against it...but the City IS IN the County.. you vote for both sets of elected leaders. I mean you could redraw the patrol districts.. I imagine right now you have a "NE Columbia Police Precinct " and a "NE Richland County Precinct" for the Sheriff. The same for the NW as both are miles away from the center of town and headquarters. You could get rid of two.. just have one and in theory have double the officers two work with in terms of community oriented policing in that area. Seems like a huge waste of resources especially in Richland which is rapidly becoming an urban County by SC standards.

It will never make it on the ballot because the politicos know it would be the first step towards full consolidation especially if it would reduce or slow the growth of the tax rate. From a crime fighting perspective all those little hot spots straddle the city limits or are surrounded by the City but are physically in the County. One group to coordinate crime fighting as opposed to the finger pointing going on now over whose jurisdiction it is.... I am sure the RCSD dont drive through miles of the city to patrol a piece of the County that is in a donut hole. Criminals dont care what jurisdiction they are in and so a problem apartment complex in the middle of the City but not in the City limits wrecks havoc on the city neighborhoods that surround it.. and the County takes zero responsibility. The City will not (normally) annex a problem community so you usually dont have the same scenario in reverse.

Last edited by Woodlands; 12-23-2022 at 12:18 PM..

Old 12-23-2022, 06:48 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
I never want to wake up and see a report of a shooting or killing in the city. It can happen anytime anywhere. But I have noticed that the majority of new reports about such violence is coming from suburban parts of the metros in South Carolina. I feel like I don’t want to post such an observation because I don’t want to call out areas on the outskirts, and I fear that as soon as I say it’s not happening in the central cities anymore as much as it is in the suburbs, it will happen in a central city. Just my 2° worth.

Old 12-24-2022, 01:31 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
If it ever got put on the ballot I am sure the voters would support it.. Charlotte Mech has a joint police department and I believe Augusta -Richmond just has a Sheriff's Office and no police department. I am sure the Powers that be in Richland and the City are and would be against it...but the City IS IN the County.. you vote for both sets of elected leaders. I mean you could redraw the patrol districts.. I imagine right now you have a "NE Columbia Police Precinct " and a "NE Richland County Precinct" for the Sheriff. The same for the NW as both are miles away from the center of town and headquarters. You could get rid of two.. just have one and in theory have double the officers two work with in terms of community oriented policing in that area. Seems like a huge waste of resources especially in Richland which is rapidly becoming an urban County by SC standards.

It will never make it on the ballot because the politicos know it would be the first step towards full consolidation especially if it would reduce or slow the growth of the tax rate. From a crime fighting perspective all those little hot spots straddle the city limits or are surrounded by the City but are physically in the County. One group to coordinate crime fighting as opposed to the finger pointing going on now over whose jurisdiction it is.... I am sure the RCSD dont drive through miles of the city to patrol a piece of the County that is in a donut hole. Criminals dont care what jurisdiction they are in and so a problem apartment complex in the middle of the City but not in the City limits wrecks havoc on the city neighborhoods that surround it.. and the County takes zero responsibility. The City will not (normally) annex a problem community so you usually dont have the same scenario in reverse.
Unfortunately, the state has zero appetite to address SC's restrictive and inefficient annexation laws in any capacity, even when it comes to making it easier for cities to annex donut holes which is crazy.

Old 12-25-2022, 07:04 AM

403 posts, read 232,451 times
According to the P&C project Golden Eagle is a yet to be named Solar Panel maker.

Old 12-26-2022, 05:35 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,745 times
What do you think will be the biggest gamechanger of the 2023
Columbia openings:

1) Moxy Hotel opening across from the statehouse

2) Bierkeller brewey opening at canalside

3) Peak Drift brewery, by far city’s largest,opening on North Main

4) Bullstreet coming of age (iron hill brewery opening, getting above 1200 residents)

5) Korean restaurant opening main (from owners of 929 kitchen)

Last edited by kingofCola; 12-26-2022 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area