Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:05 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
"I been to Idaho" That's funny ! A degree is good for butt wipe here. You are right about the lack of tech industry in Montana. Your post is very condescending though, remember that G.W. had two masters degrees and many people called him dumber than a doorknob ! If you think Montana is Fly over country" then maybe the term "fly over country" has a different meaning to you. "I been to Idaho" , excuse me but I'm still laughing at that, sorry ! The pictures below were taken in Idaho and Montana, I'm sorry but I'm not looking at "fly over country" here.
Great pics Rickers... Thanks for that.

I think you maybe misunderstood Coloradohh's comment though... I THINK he/she was saying that from what he had seen (which only ahappened to be from the air) and read of it, it seemed nice too, but it just didn't seem to fit quite as well for him (at least not on paper) as a place to reside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:11 PM

Hey, Coloradohh, I just re-read the title of this thread, and there's something I don't get... It says, "Get me a napkin! so I can stop drooling". Wouldn't the napkin really just be for WIPING the drool away and/or soaking up the puddle on the desk? I don't see how it would possibly STOP the drooling... I suppose, if you wadded up the napkin and put it into your mouth it might act like a sponge and keep the drool from spilling out, but you then you would still be drooling, even if it was flowing directly into the napkin, right?

I don't get it...

Old 04-30-2009, 02:13 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
I cannot imagine ANY genuine mountain lover not appreciating the states of Montana and Idaho. I've been wantig to take a short vacation to Idaho. One reason I haven't is because I fear that I might not want to return to Colorado. Not that Colorado is an undesirable place to live, but rather because northern Idaho in particular is very similar to the southern British Columbia Kootenai region which is my favorite place on the planet. Leaving British Columbia is perhaps the stupidest thing I've done in my life. I'm not sure if a short vacation in northern Idaho would soothe the pain, or open up an old wound.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Idaho and MT are somewhat different. I was in ID last summer camping and backpacking. As for the mountains there's two distinct areas. The Sawtooths in south-central ID are a lot like the Colorado Rockies in climate, vegatation and elevation. Semi-arid.

However the Selway-Bitterroot in northern Idaho is a different animal. Much lower elevations and very humid along the Koshka river corridor. Lush vegatation. Different kinds of trees and ferns.

Then there's the fact that the Bitteroot/River of No Return wilderness is the largest wilderness in the US. And it truly is an expanse of mountains as far as the eye can see. No paved roads. Rugged. Just some forest roads. And practically nobody in there. One excursion we did by 4WD was off the Salmon river which is at about 1300'. We climbed on endless switchbacks up to about 6k.

The other big difference is bigger rivers in ID. The Koscha river, which probably nobody outside ID has heard of, is bigger than any river in CO. And there's plenty of others the same size up there.

Anyway, it's all good. I personally prefer CO for living, because here you can live "next to" the mountains, like on the Front Range or the Western Slope, and avoid the long winters and extreme cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradohh View Post
Rickers, actually i been to Idaho and flown over Montana many, many times...(fly over country) sorry!
but yes you are correct its even more beautiful over there..I remember when i went to Idaho, all i could think of was how lucky these kids were who were growing up over there. You don't have the same outside influence as you do in places like NYC, LA, CHICAGO, FL, etc... Over there people are different. that's why Colorado ranks #1 in the USA with most people with Bachelors Degrees... Think about it! NYC has almost 8million people but yet Colorado still manages to produce more educated folks! Idaho is up there as well... I'm telling you its something about those mountains... but for the folks who say that Colorado does not compare to places like Idaho and Mt. You maybe correct but for me Colorado is the right place due to the line of work i am in. Its very hard to find jobs in the tech field in MT or Idaho, yes i know there out there but not like they are in Denver.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:37 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Rickers -

funny, your third pic down you must have standing at the same spot I was last July. Sawtooths about 14 miles north of Sun Valley?

Quote:
"I been to Idaho" That's funny ! A degree is good for butt wipe here. You are right about the lack of tech industry in Montana. Your post is very condescending though, remember that G.W. had two masters degrees and many people called him dumber than a doorknob ! If you think Montana is Fly over country" then maybe the term "fly over country" has a different meaning to you. "I been to Idaho" , excuse me but I'm still laughing at that, sorry ! The pictures below were taken in Idaho and Montana, I'm sorry but I'm not looking at "fly over country" here.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:04 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Colorado like Montana, Oregon and Washington have a wet forested side as well as a prairie, plains or semi desert basin like eastern portions. I dislike the term "flyover country" as much as I dislike folks using the word "Cali" when referring to California. I am a landlord and have three rentals. My total property taxes are less than 1200 bucks for my income producing properties and I have never paid more than $37,000 for any property. If someone considers Montana a flyover state, and has formal education resulting in a piece of paper that doesn't mean anything but bragging rights and tons of debt and can't spell or know how to use proper punctuation then I might have a tiny bit of empathy for the poor sucker, Not !!! Real common sense and zero inbreeding will serve you better than any freaking piece of butt wipe from a university. I love Colorado but living there is like living in California anymore, high prices, high taxes and "Douchey Hipsters" I'll take my "flyover" State for living but I may take a vacation to Colorado someday as my wife has never been there yet. I will go straight to Rocky Mountain National park and avoid Denver like the plague !

Picture is of the free, yes I said free, Carter Ferry. Honk and the guy comes out of his house and takes you across the Missouri River. What a guy !

Old 04-30-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Colorado like Montana, Oregon and Washington have a wet forested side as well as a prairie, plains or semi desert basin like eastern portions. I dislike the term "flyover country" as much as I dislike folks using the word "Cali" when referring to California. I am a landlord and have three rentals. My total property taxes are less than 1200 bucks for my income producing properties and I have never paid more than $37,000 for any property. If someone considers Montana a flyover state, and has formal education resulting in a piece of paper that doesn't mean anything but bragging rights and tons of debt and can't spell or know how to use proper punctuation then I might have a tiny bit of empathy for the poor sucker, Not !!! Real common sense and zero inbreeding will serve you better than any freaking piece of butt wipe from a university. I love Colorado but living there is like living in California anymore, high prices, high taxes and "Douchey Hipsters" I'll take my "flyover" State for living but I may take a vacation to Colorado someday as my wife has never been there yet. I will go straight to Rocky Mountain National park and avoid Denver like the plague !

Picture is of the free, yes I said free, Carter Ferry. Honk and the guy comes out of his house and takes you across the Missouri River. What a guy !
I wonder if Jazzlover knows he has a long lost twin brother alive and well and living in Idaho.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:49 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
rickers wrote:
That's cool! When I lived up in British Columbia in the middle 70s, FREE ferry rides crossing the lakes were part of the highway system. Do you know if the BC ferries in the Kootenai region are still freebies? Crossing Kootenai Lake between Kaslo and Balfour-Argenta was utterly magnificent.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 04-30-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-30-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
rickers wrote:
That's cool! When I lived up in British Columbia in the middle 70s, FREE ferry rides crossing the lakes were part of the highway system. Do you know if the BC ferries in the Kootenai region are still freebies? Crossing Kootenai Lake between Kaslo and Balfour-Argenta was utterly magnificent.
How do they get folks to do that for free? Is it just something he does when he happens to be home and isn't busy with other stuff...? (Like helping people on CDF) or does the govt or some entity somehow pay him for it?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:15 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Rickers - funny, your third pic down you must have standing at the same spot I was last July. Sawtooths about 14 miles north of Sun Valley?
That third picture I took halfway up the trail from Baldy Lake to Mount Baldy , behind the reservation town of Hot Springs Montana in the southern end of the Cabinet Range in Lolo National forest. The lake is a pocket of snow melt that holds trout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado