Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:30 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Hahaha! I have often wanted to "hijack" Jossie's threads to sing the praises of Canon City but, I can't type that fast!!HA!
I grew up in Denver, lived in Arvada...raised a son in Aurora......but Canon City, well, I'll keep it to myself!
You guys are too much fun, I swear!!
If you have pictures of Canon City I would love to see them in the Pueblo and Southern Colorado thread. You can see people from La Junta have posted pictures there and I would love to see all the communities post pictures there! There is even one from Denver and that's ok as it fits in our topic of that day (altough when I first saw it I was thinking how could I miss a high rise in Pueblo lol). I would not consider that a "hi jacking" of the thread but a honor....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 02:11 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,980,671 times
I do think that a SE Colorado sub-forum would probably be in order, at this point. There's certainly as much talk about this part of Colorado as there is about Northern Colorado, which already has a sub-forum.

Of course, adding a SE Colorado sub-forum would then give us 5 front range sub forums, so to be fair we'd need to add a Grand Junction sub-forum too.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I do think that a SE Colorado sub-forum would probably be in order, at this point. There's certainly as much talk about this part of Colorado as there is about Northern Colorado, which already has a sub-forum.

Of course, adding a SE Colorado sub-forum would then give us 5 front range sub forums, so to be fair we'd need to add a Grand Junction sub-forum too.
I agree with that......

Old 02-20-2009, 02:37 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,293,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
If you no longer wish to read Josse's Pueblo posts, consider using the ignore feature. There was no need to start a thread to diminish his contributions.
This is a thread to challenge the drivelling drumbeat of his Pueblo PR machine, not to diminish anything. An argument backed by stats and observations is a counterpoint.

I have visited Pueblo several times, before ever deciding to make Colorado Springs my home, and I was underwhelmed by the brown, dirty, run-down appearance of the place. The crime stats aren't flattering, and seeing the Rockies partly obscured in the muggy summer haze a day's stagecoach ride in the distance ain't the same as living right next to 'em.

Josseppie can be happy there...but I, personally, think the place is dumpy. One need only go visit to form their own opinion. Judging by the growth stats, Pueblo has not been attracting too many people in comparison with its neighbors, and there's a reason for that.

If some people think dumping on Pueblo is cool, others seem to think that hyping it in every corner of these forums is cool too.

Go to Pueblo. See it. Decide for yourself. I think that you, as I, will be glad to have someplace else to go back to.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:45 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,074,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
This is a thread to challenge the drivelling drumbeat of his Pueblo PR machine, not to diminish anything. An argument backed by stats and observations is a counterpoint.

I have visited Pueblo several times, before ever deciding to make Colorado Springs my home, and I was underwhelmed by the brown, dirty, run-down appearance of the place. The crime stats aren't flattering, and seeing the Rockies partly obscured in the muggy summer haze a day's stagecoach ride in the distance ain't the same as living right next to 'em.

Josseppie can be happy there...but I, personally, think the place is dumpy. One need only go visit to form their own opinion. Judging by the growth stats, Pueblo has not been attracting too many people in comparison with its neighbors, and there's a reason for that.

If some people think dumping on Pueblo is cool, others seem to think that hyping it in every corner of these forums is cool too.

Go to Pueblo. See it. Decide for yourself. I think that you, as I, will be glad to have someplace else to go back to.
I have to agree, Pueblo looked like brown, dirty, run-down, dumpy little town. The Springs is much nicer!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:

You say Pueblo has not grown much? You live in Colorado Springs imagine if most if not all the military bases closed down in less then 5 years how would the Colorado Springs economy be? Would it continue to grow because the city is "next" to Pikes Peak or would that city struggle for 20 year or so until they were able to re-develop their economy? My guess is the latter.

That is what happened to Pueblo in the 1980's with the steel mill. Before that Pueblo was growing and in fact a 1957 article in the Pueblo chieftain about the new 4th street bridge talked about Pueblo and how "everything is possible". Pueblo has taken the 20 years or so to re develop our economy and in fact we are better for it in many ways, our air is cleaner and we still have a steel mill but it is now clean industry that is why you now see predictions that Pueblo will grow, CU economic forecast, and why companies are now looking at Pueblo. That is, also, why KOAA has remained here as they know Pueblo remains the hub for southern Colorado so to make the move to the Springs, while a short term advantage, would not be a long term one.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 PM

18,032 posts, read 27,479,203 times
That's a much better thread title; it's about principles not personalities, right?

Pueblo isn't all that great, or it would have attracted more residents and industry long ago.

I like the mountains of Colorado Springs better than the ones along the Denver Metro's section of the Front Range because they are just "Right There" coming out of nowhere and the hills are just covered in trees. But I hate the way CoSprings crammed the city right up against it. Denver kind of has that hogback thing going and the way C470 cuts through there, you have a little bit of space between the metro area and the foothills of the mountains there.

Pueblo, on the other hand, is pulled back from the foothills and is at a sort of crossroads in the state from a rich agricultural based irrigated farming Arkansas Valley and the layers of mountains to the west. Off the beaten path? Yes. Less services than further up the front range? Yes.

It seems like "some" posters in here like to do some fishing. I don't get that because unless you're retired or bring your own business with you or are looking for the secluded outdoors away from the traffic and riff raff, why would you want to come to Pueblo? Pueblo is ALWAYS down in the economic dumps. This thing y'all call a recession is nothing new to us. I'm not of the belief that bringing people here to add to our misery is gonna pump us up. We've got to do that from within, not without. It's almost as if the gov'ment here doesn't want growth and jobs. That ticks me off. I think we should fire all of the County Commissioners, hire a Mayor, then have some ONE person to take personal accountability and responsibility, then tar and feather him when he fails.

But hey, Pueblo is good enough for me.

Crime: Pueblo may have bad crime stats, but you shouldn't feel too safe up the Front Range either. You're probably 4X or more likely to get raped, stabbed, robbed... I listen to your news because I'm kind of stuck with it and it's got plenty of drama. What's with all the homes burning down? You guys got your own worries.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I have to agree, Pueblo looked like brown, dirty, run-down, dumpy little town. The Springs is much nicer!
Quick question do you know what major city on the Colorado front range has the best air quality? If case you do not know it is Pueblo in fact we are the only city on the front range not to have any of the restrictions they have from Colorado Springs north and the EPA even took out the air monitoring device in Pueblo as our air quality was always "good"!

Old 02-20-2009, 04:34 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,293,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
You say Pueblo has not grown much? You live in Colorado Springs imagine if most if not all the military bases closed down in less then 5 years how would the Colorado Springs economy be? Would it continue to grow because the city is "next" to Pikes Peak or would that city struggle for 20 year or so until they were able to re-develop their economy? My guess is the latter.

That is what happened to Pueblo in the 1980's with the steel mill. Before that Pueblo was growing and in fact a 1957 article in the Pueblo chieftain about the new 4th street bridge talked about Pueblo and how "everything is possible". Pueblo has taken the 20 years or so to re develop our economy and in fact we are better for it in many ways, our air is cleaner and we still have a steel mill but it is now clean industry that is why you now see predictions that Pueblo will grow, CU economic forecast, and why companies are now looking at Pueblo. That is, also, why KOAA has remained here as they know Pueblo remains the hub for southern Colorado so to make the move to the Springs, while a short term advantage, would not be a long term one.
I don't know, or for that matter even care WHY things are the way they are in Pueblo. Sure, seems logical that having the steel mill close down put the town on its ear. I'm just saying that when I visited, it looked like the place was on its ear. Sorry, but it really did. Posting some pictures with the green hues jammed up to the point where the ground looks positively radioactive doesn't change my mind on that.

I can respect McGowdog's "hey we're down but not out" attitude. Even better, his "we like what we've got and don't need to be like all y'all." attitude. Sure beats a recurring case of front range pen** envy. Does anyone remember that girl in American Pie that kept droning on about "when I was in Band Camp we did this, when I was in Band Camp this guy told a joke, when I was in Band Camp blah blah blah..." After a while, when we're talking about other stuff elsewhere in the forums, we get tired of hearing "the Pueblo Chieftain says..." just as if it were "when I was in Band Camp..."

I'm with Jazz and McGowdog in the opinion that inviting the population of California to come turn your town into the next Colorado McSprawl would not be an improvement. We might have to call it "Pueblow" then. The air is cleaner in Pueblo because you don't have the masses invading your town. That's something to enjoy...but you can't have it both ways. If the masses come, and overdevelopment takes hold, all that comes with it will dork what you have there now.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:49 PM

18,032 posts, read 27,479,203 times
Quote:
Does anyone remember that girl in American Pie that kept droning on about "when I was in Band Camp we did this...
There goes a rabbit. Something about a flute, I believe.

I'm more a quality vs quantity guy when it comes to praising or bashing Pueblo. When I first came to City-Data it was to defend my town er' hamlet** and now, I'm seeing a slam on my town but this time, it's well deserved. Thanks Joss. But you do have a following here. Opposites attract or something, I don't know exactly what that's all about. The more I try to cool Joss down, the more inspired he seems to get. But we could confine our discussions to the Colorado sub forum, I would think that's more than fair. We'll see how that works.

Maybe Joss is pushing extra hard to get Pueblo its own sub forum, I don't know. But it's obvious that a little self-discipline would prevent the need for that.

Thanks Bob and Jazz, for keeping it real.

I want my water and air to stay clean and my mind and hands dirty.

**pueblo - a communal village built by Indians in the southwestern United States village, hamlet- a settlement smaller than a town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado