Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing good things about Edgar Olin House B & B and the only other one I've heard of in Pueblo is also one I've heard good things about is Abriendo Inn. I have never had an opportunity to crash there before but hope to now just to check them out.

I wish we could rent one of our fine spare bedrooms for you and in the morning we could lure you to breakfast by the music of our fine cat Frank. What do you think?

PS: The Mexican Food in that Abriendo Area is pretty good (Mexi Deli and Martinez Cafe, Maybe even Ritas) and the other is by Burrito Betty's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 01:20 PM

Default Mill Stop

I finally got to eat at the Mill Stop. This is the place my co-worker says is the only good Mexican Food in Pueblo. He likes their green chile too.

I ordered take out and would have to say it's a really neat little place and really nice people running it. I'd like to go there for a sit down meal sometime. I think the hours are 6am-9pm M-F closed on Saturday and Sunday. Good for them though. We work to live, not live to work.

Now, they have the BEST pico de gala. I was so hungry that I ate one little container of it on the way home. It was so hot, it made my empty stomach sore. But would that stop me, heck no! The tacos were great as were the beans and rice (wife liked the rice better than I did, needed a little salt) and the sopapillas!

Now for the green chile... I make much better green chile. It looks like really good green chile. It has good portions of pork in it and stuff, but it's like they just made a new batch and it needs to simmer for a few more months. The longer you cook that pork, the better it gets for me. Green chile shouldn't need salt. I mean, maybe a squirt of lime or something. They should just get a huge vat of pork goin' and don't ever stop cooking it. You just keep adding to it. If you want the "good stuff" you scoop a little harder on the bottom.

See, then the next guy will say they have the BEST green chile. But mine IS better. But everything else they do is better than anything I could cook I'm sure. I'm gonna have to try other stuff here.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-11-2008 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: add pic

Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 PM

117 posts, read 531,555 times
Loved the cat!! Too many restuarants to try in 2 days...we'll just have to stay longer!

Old 01-09-2009, 11:34 AM

10 posts, read 102,443 times
You can get some pretty good Pork Green Chili at most Loaf N Jugs in Colorado. Pueblo has it in most stores as well as many other towns such as Fowler, Rocky Ford, Lajunta, Lamar, Colorado Springs, Castle Rock, Berthoud, Fort Collins, Denver and even as far as Rangely and Craig and most towns in between.

You will also find some killer Green Chili Burritos in the Loaf N Jug Stores. They are in Alminum foil heated up by the cash register in the mornings.

The Pork Green Chili is frozen in quart containers. Do not nuke the chili. Simmer it on the stove. It's like a gravy. Ad some water if it's thick.

In addition to finding this great Mexican Food in about any Loaf N Jug in Colorado, you can also find it in most cities in Wyoming such as Cheyenne, Laramie, Green River, Lander, Casper, Douglas, Gillette, New Castle, Jackson and many other towns in Wyoming.

If you are in Gering or Scotts Bluff Nebraska, you can also find the green chili and burritos in the Loaf N Jug stores there.

You will find them in South Dakota as well. We were on the way home from a road trip and stopped in Spearfish SD for some green chili burritos. You can find some in Rapid City as well. I hear you can even get them in Montanna, Spokane Washington and North Dakota. Pretty much any Loaf N Jug store has them or can get them on request.

I understand you can even pick up some Burritos and Pork Green Chili in Boise Oklahoma and Raton New Mexico.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:02 PM

What????????

Loaf 'n Jug? Frozen Pork Green Chile? Those burritos aren't so special to me. I'd rather go to Taco Bell than eat gas station food. Posada's frozen chimis are OK... when you're really drunk or hung over. You can get "The Bomb" for about $2.37. But that doesn't mean you should.

Go over to Betty's Burrito for a real burrito for about the same price.

There was a gas station in Las Animas though, that DID have some fresh homeade burritos in aluminum foil that were fantastic. Chirizo and bean.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 AM

5 posts, read 24,877 times
I too have tried the quart sized green chili in the frozen section at Loaf n Jug stores and it is way better than any I've eaten at restaurants I've been to here in Pueblo. I had some mild green chili at Jorge's that was like regular gravy, no chili taste at all. The frozen green chili at Loaf n Jug is much less expensive. And...my two teenage sons eat it like soup cause they love it! By the way, they ate one of those The Bomb burritos and were both sick for two days! The fresh daily and kept hot in the case burritos at Loaf n Jug are very delicious and they are fresh every day. I'm willing to pay $.70 or so more for that. Not everyone can afford to eat in the best restaurants and for those of you who can, maybe you're wasting your money on pitiful green chili.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 AM

I still have yet to find frozen green chile at Loaf n' Jug or Scarf n' Barf or any other where. Where exactly is this frozen section in Loaf n' Jug? is it next to the frozen Snicker Bars?

Musso Farms sells some of those burritos and there again, gas station food gives me the urge to regurdge. My cats wouldn't eat it. If you can't afford Betty's Burritos, then there's the EBT card.

I think Rita's makes pretty good green chile and the Mi Ranchitos is all good. I make the best Green Chile and my wife's green chile is blue ribbon award winning. I'll tell you right now, we couldn't afford to make and sell that stuff at a gas station. We don't eat it all the time, nor would we recommend it. It's kind of a special treat. It's like eating really good homeade chicken soup.

Granted, we could probably make our green chile for a little bit cheaper than the 10 bucks a quart or however much they charge... if we make enough, but maybe not. And it does take a lot of work, when you consider going to the Pueblo Chile and Frijole Festival, getting your bussel of chiles, taking them home and cleaning them, bagging them for the freezer, etc. getting the pork shoulder and cooking that, all the other ingredients, etc., and the longer is simmers, the better it gets. You're gonna get this at scarf n' barf? I don't think so.

I had a treacherous drive to work this morning. I'm gonna go get me a cup of coffee.

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-12-2009 at 09:08 AM..

Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Was that today and south of Pueblo on I-25?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 AM

Yeah, that's the little hill (probably steeper than Monument hill by at least 1% grade) between exits at MM 74 and MM 71 in Colorado City, which is the southern edge of Pueblo County.

And yes, that was yesterday morning. They got about 4 to 6 inches of snow yesterday and probably more up in Rye. Even Pueblo West got a quick blizzard yesterday morning. It seemed to have missed Pueblo.

Here's P-Dub yesterday morning;

It was a weird storm. It took off as soon as it hit.

Oh, I went to Jorge's catering and takeout on Northern between Evans and Abriendo last night and the Chirizo tacos on deep fried white are fantastic! I know some people who don't like Jorge's and their green chile, but I'm liking it ok. I would have stopped at the Mill Stop for a quick bite to eat, but the place was packed! Their green chile is tasteless compared to ours, but still no reason to not go eat there. They have some good food and a great atmosphere.

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-13-2009 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
WOW, typical Pueblo! I had no idea that the weather was so bad around the area lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado