Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 20,859 times

Advertisements

we are a young married couple with an eleven month old baby boy; currently living in Southern California and thinking of moving to Pueblo Colorado. We would highly appreciate your input. Looking for excellent schools and a nice neightborhood. Our price range is 200 - 300. Overall we want a better quality of life for our family. Can you recommend other areas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 08:27 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukita View Post
we are a young married couple with an eleven month old baby boy; currently living in Southern California and thinking of moving to Pueblo Colorado. We would highly appreciate your input. Looking for excellent schools and a nice neightborhood. Our price range is 200 - 300. Overall we want a better quality of life for our family. Can you recommend other areas???
Use the SEARCH this FORUM tool for info on Pueblo, Pueblo West, Canon City or any other topic of interest (crime, weather, traffic, rain, snow, wind, pizza, school, schools, etc).
s/mike

Old 03-08-2007, 08:39 AM

431 posts, read 2,793,658 times
People on here tend to run Pueblo down as smelly and dirty. I highly disagree. At one time the steel mills did put out smelly and dirty smoke. Not now. Pueblo does not have the smelly smog that Denver has. Pueblo has really been working to clean up their image. They have gang problems but of coarse CS nor Denver have any --HA! It depends on the part of town you chose like any other larger town/city. There are poor sections and good sections. As to schools credit cards-Google it. Check out Pueblo County on the web. I do not live in Pueblo but shop there. Not as big as the Springs but not as expensive in housing either and a whole lot easier to get around in.

Pueblo is in sight of the mountains but is on the plains. Does not get the harsh winters as farther east or north does on the plains. It is an older town so there are lots of mature landscaping.

Before the Denver area people get upset with me, you are used to the smell and smog. Those of us coming into it are not so we do smell it and see it. My nose clogges up everytime I get near. It is better than it used to be too. But it is still there.

Last edited by Nadine; 03-08-2007 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: another thought

Old 03-08-2007, 10:05 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Thank you, Nadine! That was a good perspective on a diverse town. One could find a pretty nice home in that price range.

So you don't live in Pueblo, but shop there. It's kind of the other way around for me. I suppose it depends on what you're shopping for.

I'd definitely check the whole Front Range out before I made a decision.

What part of SOCAL are you leaving? We left the Valley back in 77. We haven't left the Front Range since.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:28 PM

87 posts, read 642,991 times
Lukita, why are you thinking about Pueblo? Do you have family in the Pueblo area?

Old 03-08-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Thank you, Nadine! That was a good perspective on a diverse town. One could find a pretty nice home in that price range.

So you don't live in Pueblo, but shop there. It's kind of the other way around for me. I suppose it depends on what you're shopping for.

I'd definitely check the whole Front Range out before I made a decision.

What part of SOCAL are you leaving? We left the Valley back in 77. We haven't left the Front Range since.
I was born there, does that count? But when your employer is the CSP then you live in Canon. But I do like smaller places, closer to my beloved mountains and even it is growing to much here to suit me. Even tho I live outside of in Lincoln Park.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:08 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,126 times
I asked someone who spent a little time in Pueblo about it. I was told its mroe segregated as far as, Mexicans staying mostly with Mexicans and whites staying with mostly whites. I was also told by someone Pueblo was better for a teen then Northern New Mexico. Many mixed middle class families? And what about night life?

Old 03-09-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
I asked someone who spent a little time in Pueblo about it. I was told its mroe segregated as far as, Mexicans staying mostly with Mexicans and whites staying with mostly whites. I was also told by someone Pueblo was better for a teen then Northern New Mexico. Many mixed middle class families? And what about night life?
Hmmmmmm I really don't know about that because I don't live there but we have been active in the Ranger's soccer program in Pueblo ( which is wonderful) We helped our daughter get our grand-daughter there for several yrs. Traveled with them to Alb. NM and other places. There were both nationalities on the team. Nice people all. It was about 1/2 and 1/2. Of coarse all were kids that had adults that were with them and interested in what they were doing. Traveled with them etc. Worked for the teams. Even when the team was of an age to drive the adult was there. Good parents and good kids. In fact all those girls had at least 3.5 grade averages, some 4.0, honor society and all went on to colledge. People are people some are trash and some are not. I might add, all the families were average wage families. No big bucks in the bunch.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,124,581 times
Pueblo is 30 minutes south of me. My sister lives there too. Pueblo is a good 10 degrees warmer than Colorado Springs all the time. Pueblo rarely gets snow and occasionally reaches 100'F. The BIG thing in Pueblo is Pueblo Reservoir- YIPPEE!! The cost of living in Pueblo is lower than in Colorado Springs, it does have a higher population of minorities, but the school district does well. The homes in Pueblo are older, but there are new ones too. Pueblo West is really expanding and usually those homes have acreage also. If you have the chance, when you come out and visit, please check into southern Colorado Springs also- specifically Fountain, CO. You will find brand new homes in your price range, excellent schools, and we have quite a few "mommy groups" if that is your thing. If you are a working mom, I live in the area and can help you find quality childcare. Please feel free to ask more! Good luck! Lynette

Old 04-11-2007, 09:02 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
I have never lived in Pueblo, but it is another spot in Colorado where I have friends. I also know a number of people who grew up in Pueblo and moved elsewhere for various reasons.

Pueblo is probably the most ethnically diverse city in Colorado, a heritage of thousands of immigrants migrating there to work at the CF&I steel mill and for the railroads. When the CF&I Bessemer furnaces were running years ago, the air quality was horrid. The sucessor to CF&I, Oregon Steel Mills (just bought by the Russians, by the way), is still operating, but uses clean electric furnaces today. Today, Pueblo is the only metropolitan Front Range county that does NOT have auto emission inspections because it meets air quality standards without them.

Pueblo's climate is milder, but hotter in the summer than other Front Range cities. It also gets a bit more humid there at times. Other posters are correct in saying that Pueblo has its "nice" and "not nice" neighborhoods. Pueblo West (also mentioned earlier) is a large subdivision developed west of Pueblo proper. I call it "desert surburbia" because water for lawn irrigation is not plentiful (which, I happen to think is a good thing in arid Colorado). I would equate it in appearance to Rio Rancho in New Mexico. Still, people I know who live there really like it.

Were I to move back to Colorado, I would consider Pueblo. It's one of the few "affordable" locales in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado