Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:50 AM

676 posts, read 2,797,360 times

Advertisements

It also seems to be that Pueblo is more isolated, farther from its larger neighbors in the north and there is some fairly desolate areas imediately around Pueblo also. It is good to see that it is finally starting to come around with some more diverse employers as well as the increse of the ones that they already do such as the new power plant that will be colorado's largest once its complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 24,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGD View Post
I moved to Pueblo from TN in August for school, and so far its been alright. I have to say that of all the towns I've been to in CO so far, Pueblo is the ugliest. Definitely not what I had pictured CO to look like. Alot of the buildings are old, and not "nice" old either, although there some that are. The culture is different here, people seem to know when you're not from there, they're polite, but reserved. I've found that once you meet a few people, it becomes alot more hospitable. Not a big night life, but there are plenty of small bars and clubs to go to. If you want bigger city, Colorado Springs is 45 min up the road. All in all, not a bad small town. Its a conservative place by CO standards, and very working class. If you have a good job making decent money(easier said than done here), I would recommend living here. It seems like a good place to raise a family, although I will definitely try and send my kids somewhere else for college to broaden their horizons.

So, CSU? I'm supposed to go there next year. Any advice?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 7,859 times
Default Living in Belmont

I've lived in Pueblo for a couple of decades. Hated it for the first two years because it was such a big culture shock for me, but now I absolutely love it. Joe (adroit?) made a comment about the neighborhoods to stay away from, and included Belmont in the list. I just want to say that there are good areas of Belmont and not as good areas of Belmont. I live pretty close to CSU-P and certainly have no complaints about my neighborhood. It's quiet, except around the 4th of July. It's close to grocery stores, and if I can't find what I want at our local stores I can be in Springs in half an hour. When I drive over the hilltop by USC to get onto US 47 (which turns into US 50 going west) I get to see our beautiful mountains, which are a day brightener every single time I see them. Sure, I could buy a house where I'd have a view of them all the time, but I sure do enjoy that magnificent display when I drive over that hill.

It's just a short, relaxing drive to the mountains, and if one wants the advantages of a big city, it's an easy drive to Colorado Springs, and just two hours to Denver.

I guess if someone likes a more hectic lifestyle then Pueblo isn't going to be satisfactory for them. I like the more relaxed pace here, and the small town feel of the city. Rare is the time when I run out to do errands or a little shopping that I don't run into a friend, because Pueblo is mostly a very friendly city. Sure, there are a few bad apples, as there are anywhere, but the good folks definitely far outnumber the negative folks.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:44 PM

6 posts, read 24,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosieal View Post
I've lived in Pueblo for a couple of decades. Hated it for the first two years because it was such a big culture shock for me, but now I absolutely love it. Joe (adroit?) made a comment about the neighborhoods to stay away from, and included Belmont in the list. I just want to say that there are good areas of Belmont and not as good areas of Belmont. I live pretty close to CSU-P and certainly have no complaints about my neighborhood. It's quiet, except around the 4th of July. It's close to grocery stores, and if I can't find what I want at our local stores I can be in Springs in half an hour. When I drive over the hilltop by USC to get onto US 47 (which turns into US 50 going west) I get to see our beautiful mountains, which are a day brightener every single time I see them. Sure, I could buy a house where I'd have a view of them all the time, but I sure do enjoy that magnificent display when I drive over that hill.

It's just a short, relaxing drive to the mountains, and if one wants the advantages of a big city, it's an easy drive to Colorado Springs, and just two hours to Denver.

I guess if someone likes a more hectic lifestyle then Pueblo isn't going to be satisfactory for them. I like the more relaxed pace here, and the small town feel of the city. Rare is the time when I run out to do errands or a little shopping that I don't run into a friend, because Pueblo is mostly a very friendly city. Sure, there are a few bad apples, as there are anywhere, but the good folks definitely far outnumber the negative folks.
Thanks! I'm not looking for a hectic place. I live in Vegas now. That's hectic enough for a lifetime! I'm excited to go to Pueblo!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 7,779 times
Default what about living in Pueblo West

WE are thinking about moving to Pueblo West and are a little concern about gangs. WE have three small children and wonder what their life of living might be....

Old 01-26-2008, 09:07 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,462 times
I really like Pueblo, see my other posts about Colorado as I really travel the state.

What do I like? Pueblo appreciates its history and its ethnic diversity. It is not a cookie cutter place. You can go into a coffee shop in the old downtown, or a restaurant across from the brand new library, and really feel that there is a community here. The Italian, Hispanic, liberal, pieces of the town all still take pride in their backgrounds, but there is a lot of civic effort to rebuild, unlike many other industrial rundown places.

I also like there there are a lot of people here who have their own businesses, retail and otherwise, and there is enough population that some chains have come in without ruining the atmosphere. Also, Pueblo County has a commitment to the "human" component of regrowth. How many places make that commitment? Not too many. That is what I like about the place.

Pueblo is not the loveliest city due to old parts not all cleaned up, and due to the dry climate. If you don't like heat it's hard to take in the summer. All in all, though, I have been tempted to move there from Denver many times.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:41 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times
I say.....go west to Canon City. As you travel down Highway 50 from Pueblo (about 25 minutes) you will come to a very green oasis...that is Canon City.

Canon is growing quite nicely. It is 35 miles to Pueblo (to the east) and 40 miles to Colorado Springs ( to the north).

It is nestled in the foothills ( the ones you see in a previous poster's pic's) and, it doesn't have the prarie, scrub oak, tumble weeds!!

I am moving back to my home in Canon in 6 weeks. I have a large home on 2 acres with my own tennis court. It would be costly to water , however, most have ditch water, I do and, irrigate that way. I can do either (city or ditch) .

Canon City is considered the banana belt and "The Climate Capitol" of Colorado.

The Royal Gorge Bridge is just 7 miles away. There are many new stores coming to Canon...and good restaurants.

I made the mistake of moving to Vero Beach, Florida in May of 2007. I took my home off the market in October and, now I'm moving back!!YIPEE!!

I am sitting here on the beach as I post. I watch the ocean right out of my windows all day and yet, Canon City is where I long to be!!

Call me crazy but, their is no place like Canon!!

I grew up in Denver and raised my oldest son in Aurora. My yongest son graduated from Canon City and is now a Cryptologist and is in Hawaii. He misses Canon City too! Go figure?!!

Last edited by SheridanL; 02-02-2008 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: spelled two words wrong.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:51 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I would consider Pueblo. It's one of the few "affordable" locales in the state.
Where are some others among the few?

Old 02-22-2008, 02:36 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Where are some others among the few?
Eastern Plains mostly--and some areas of the San Luis Valley, and around Walsenburg or Trinidad--though employment and incomes are pretty marginal.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 PM

14 posts, read 326,858 times
hello all

i have been considering a move to pueblo or somewhere else on the front range. i am using the form from the "thinking about moving to colorado?" thread to supply some basics.

1) current city/state: prairie village, ks (kc metro, johnson county)

2) why do you want to leave? i've lived in kansas essentially all my life and have found colorado to be less conformist, have better scenery and, it appears, better weather on my visits. winters are colder than a welldigger's ash here, so i figure i might as well have some mountains to snowboard on if i'm going to deal with winter and snow and what not. less humidity and more sunlight should mean milder winters if i'm interpreting things correctly.

3) where in colorado and why? pueblo would seem to have the best winters of the front range cities while still being within a 5 or 6 hour drive of my family in western kansas. i am open to other cities on the front range or possibly the plains, but i need to be near a college or at least a vocational school of some sort to take night classes. my major, which i've been on hiatus from, is journalism, so a school with a good program in that would be ideal; i've also considered becoming an athletic trainer/nutritionist, so a place where i could do that might work too.

4) 2nd and 3rd place states: actually, the central valley in california would be my first choice, but cost-of-living would seem to dictate getting some sort of training to get a better job b4 i move there. i have also considered florida, oregon, arizona and new mexico.

5) what's currently holding you back from moving? i'm what the french call "broke," so i need to save some sweet moolah b4 moving.

6) anything else you want to tell us that we don't know? i'd be renting (need a 1/1 that allows cats), taking some basic wage-slave job(s), so inexpensive living (what does $400-600/mo get you?) w/o getting shot is what i'm looking for.

well, this has probably been long enough, but i was trying to include as much info as possible about my sitch to eliminate some of the basic ?'s. thanx in advance for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado