Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2020, 08:45 PM

278 posts, read 450,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
You may want to repeat the Coivd test in a few days. Flu is highly unlikely this time of year.

But, it is big-time allergy season...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 03:35 AM

7,194 posts, read 9,335,600 times
Alarmed by rising hospitalizations, Colorado officials warn of potential for COVID-19 spread over holidays

Number people hospitalized with coronavirus in state has increased 68% over last month

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/10/0...iday-increase/

"Colorado officials including Gov. Jared Polis expressed concern Tuesday about the “alarming” increase in the number of people hospitalized in the state with the novel coronavirus, cautioning that if that figure continues to rise it could soon affect the quality of care for patients.

During a news conference, Polis said Colorado is at a “critical juncture” and “cannot continue this trend.”

“We’ve got to do better to avoid overwhelming our hospitals,” he said. “That means doubling down on the basics. Wearing a mask. Social distancing. Keeping activities and interactions outside where possible. Washing hands regularly.”

And while it appears COVID-19 infections may have plateaued following a spike from Labor Day weekend, state officials also said Colorado needs to decrease transmission of the virus ahead of winter because cases likely will rise as families gather around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

“The position that we are going to be in going in on those holidays really depends heavily on what level of disease transmission we experience here in the state in the next couple of weeks,” said Dr. Rachel Herlihy, Colorado’s state epidemiologist, during the news briefing.

The number of new cases of COVID-19 dropped slightly last week, partly due to a decrease in infections among people ages 18 to 25. But excluding that age group, there is still a high level of transmission as new cases were flat compared to the prior week.

There were 3,813 new cases of COVID-19 last week, which is down 425 from the prior week, according to the latest data from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

The latest model from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment and the Colorado School of Public Health shows an estimated 5% of Coloradans have been infected with COVID-19, and about 1 in 850 people in the state currently are infectious.

The model also predicts Colorado’s current trajectory will bring increasing growth in cases and hospital demand, but state epidemiologists don’t expect hospital or ICU capacity will be exceeded in the next month.

The number of Coloradans hospitalized with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, has jumped 68% in the past month. As of Tuesday, 246 people were in the hospital with confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, up from 146 people a month ago, according to data from the state health department.

As of Tuesday, 78% of Colorado’s 1,915 available ICU beds were in use, according to the state health department

“We want to make sure that quality of care at a hospital is available for all those who need it because it most cases it will save their life,” Polis said. “In some cases it will end, of course, tragically and we won’t.”

Old 10-14-2020, 05:52 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,303,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
But, it is big-time allergy season...
What kind of allergies?
All the pollen counts are near or at zero.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:56 PM

317 posts, read 476,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
What kind of allergies?
All the pollen counts are near or at zero.
Not sure about where you're at in the state, but out here in the SLV the dust and wildfire smoke (mostly from other states, not local) have played hell on my allergies this year. Normally I'd stop taking my seasonal allergy meds by now, but not this year.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:59 AM

CU Boulder students disappointed, angry with university’s COVID-19 response

https://gazette.com/colorado_politic...a36398a10.html

"The University of Colorado Boulder has become the state's unofficial poster child for COVID-19 since the record-breaking outbreak began in September. And CU students are not happy about it.

Among students, 86% described CU’s COVID-19 response as “poor” or “very poor” and 78% rated CU’s transparency as “poor” or “very poor” in a recent CU Independent poll.

Vayle Lafehr, a resident adviser at CU, said she is “in a constant state of fear and disgust” because of the university’s handling of COVID-19.

In a scathing opinion article published by The Colorado Sun, Lafehr said she has dealt with multiple residents who tested positive for COVID-19 and remained in the dorms for several days before being relocated to quarantine.

Because of health privacy regulations, Lafehr said dorm advisers are not even informed when their residents contract COVID-19 unless the residents tell them directly.

“I’m not exaggerating when I say that I am both horrified and disgusted by CU mishandling positive cases in the residence halls,” Lafehr said in the article.

Lafehr said dorm advisers have been told to sanitize rooms of COVID-19 patients without being given any personal protective equipment for over a month into the semester.

These conditions have pushed many resident advisers away as 31 of those positions were unfilled at the end of September, forcing current staff to work in close contact with even more residents to make up for the loss.

“Fearing for the physical and mental health of my residents is unceasing,” Lafehr said. “My freshmen residents tell me they are scared and confused. And they should be.”

As of Tuesday, 1,527 students and 16 staff members have tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

This is the single largest COVID-19 outbreak in the state since the pandemic began. Despite this, CU Boulder is returning some classes to in-person instruction Wednesday after going online-only three weeks ago.

Senior film student Steven Thai began the semester with in-person classes but switched to all remote after only a few days to limit his interactions.

Now that CU is going back to in-person classes, Thai thinks it will kill any progress made.

“They’re basically going back to square one,” Thai said. “The last time we had in-person and hybrid classes COVID-19 cases spiked and there is no way students are not throwing parties after the Boulder lockdown.”

Thai fears that the university pushing in-person classes will harm what is left of his college education by causing a complete shutdown of campus.

“I’m trying to graduate and I need to make a film at Macky (Auditorium),” Thai said. “(A campus shutdown) would mean my senior project would be postponed again.”

Senior Alexander Louie thinks CU’s decision comes down to money.

Louie said the university is trying to fix their image after becoming the epicenter of the state’s COVID-19 cases to prevent losing potential students.

“It’s ridiculous that they’re deciding to still value money over student and faculty lives,” he said.

Louie has been taking all remote classes since the semester began, saying he doesn’t trust his university to keep students safe while they learn.

“The freshmen have been saying no one’s checking up on them to see if they tested positive or negative when they’re required to attend in-person,” Louie said. “CU isn’t even requiring testing for people living off-campus that attend in-person.”

In an announcement, CU Chancellor Philip DiStefano said the return to in-person classes is a result of a decrease in new COVID-19 cases.

DiStefano said the move was supported by Boulder County Public Health which also changed its gathering orders among 18- to 22-year-olds, increasing the limit from two people to six Tuesday.

CU Boulder now plans to switch back to fully remote learning after fall break."

Old 10-15-2020, 06:25 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,303,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
Not sure about where you're at in the state, but out here in the SLV the dust and wildfire smoke (mostly from other states, not local) have played hell on my allergies this year. Normally I'd stop taking my seasonal allergy meds by now, but not this year.
OK, fair enough. I'm in the Denver area.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:29 AM

22,354 posts, read 29,470,487 times
Tested negative again for Covid. I don't understand why I'm still so sick.

I'm sure it didn't help last night that 9 news interviewed a guy who says he's stocking up again on supplies. I feel another shutdown coming with these numbers increasing

Old 10-16-2020, 06:29 AM

Alarmed by rising hospitalizations, Colorado officials warn of potential for COVID-19 spread over holidays

Number people hospitalized with coronavirus in state has increased 68% over last month

"Colorado officials including Gov. Jared Polis expressed concern Tuesday about the “alarming” increase in the number of people hospitalized in the state with the novel coronavirus, cautioning that if that figure continues to rise it could soon affect the quality of care for patients.

During a news conference, Polis said Colorado is at a “critical juncture” and “cannot continue this trend.”

“We’ve got to do better to avoid overwhelming our hospitals,” he said. “That means doubling down on the basics. Wearing a mask. Social distancing. Keeping activities and interactions outside where possible. Washing hands regularly.”

And while it appears COVID-19 infections may have plateaued following a spike from Labor Day weekend, state officials also said Colorado needs to decrease transmission of the virus ahead of winter because cases likely will rise as families gather around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

“The position that we are going to be in going in on those holidays really depends heavily on what level of disease transmission we experience here in the state in the next couple of weeks,” said Dr. Rachel Herlihy, Colorado’s state epidemiologist, during the news briefing.

The number of new cases of COVID-19 dropped slightly last week, partly due to a decrease in infections among people ages 18 to 25. But excluding that age group, there is still a high level of transmission as new cases were flat compared to the prior week.

There were 3,813 new cases of COVID-19 last week, which is down 425 from the prior week, according to the latest data from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

The latest model from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment and the Colorado School of Public Health shows an estimated 5% of Coloradans have been infected with COVID-19, and about 1 in 850 people in the state currently are infectious.

The model also predicts Colorado’s current trajectory will bring increasing growth in cases and hospital demand, but state epidemiologists don’t expect hospital or ICU capacity will be exceeded in the next month.

The number of Coloradans hospitalized with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, has jumped 68% in the past month. As of Tuesday, 246 people were in the hospital with confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, up from 146 people a month ago, according to data from the state health department.

As of Tuesday, 78% of Colorado’s 1,915 available ICU beds were in use, according to the state health department

“We want to make sure that quality of care at a hospital is available for all those who need it because it most cases it will save their life,” Polis said. “In some cases it will end, of course, tragically and we won’t.”

Old 10-18-2020, 07:12 PM

53 posts, read 48,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
Yes! There have been a few days that I wondered if I was getting sick but then realized it was the same old sinus headache I have had for weeks. These red flag days we have been having do not help at all.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:30 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,464,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

Theres only like 380 people in the hospital with COVID. That is a little misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado