Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 09:26 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,892,208 times

Advertisements

Smoke from CA and local #wildfires still prevalent across #UTwx and #COwx this morning with hazy/smoky skies. A disturbance moves through this evening thru Fri AM bringing showers/storms which is projected to hopefully clear smoke out of the region for Friday into the weekend.

I hope so. I miss blue sky, breathable air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 12:42 PM

The Buttermilk Fire is 15% contained. Favorable weather helped ground and air support cool hot spots and complete contingency lines yesterday. Today, a Type I ...helicopter will continue to cool hot spots and secure line. Heavy equipment arrived late in the day yesterday and will begin building line to the east of Lime Kiln Gulch today. Full update and map at https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6043/

Wildfires across the western U.S., including fires in and out of Colorado, are contributing to smoky and hazy conditions affecting large portions of the State; ...particularly in western parts of Colorado. The Air Quality Health Advisory for Wildfire Smoke has been continued and expanded, now covering areas including Steamboat Springs, Craig, Breckenridge, Aspen, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, Gunnison, Delta, Telluride, Durango, Cortez, Pagosa Springs, points in between, and more. Stay safe and protect your health! #cofire #RedCanyonFire #WhiskeyCreekFire #BullDrawFire #ButtermilkFire #LakeChristineFire #PlateauFire #SilverCreekFire #IndianValleyFire #CacheCreekFire https://www.colorado.gov/airquality/colo_advisory.aspx

Old 08-02-2018, 09:08 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,947,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Smoke from CA and local #wildfires still prevalent across #UTwx and #COwx this morning with hazy/smoky skies. A disturbance moves through this evening thru Fri AM bringing showers/storms which is projected to hopefully clear smoke out of the region for Friday into the weekend.

I hope so. I miss blue sky, breathable air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
The Buttermilk Fire is 15% contained. Favorable weather helped ground and air support cool hot spots and complete contingency lines yesterday. Today, a Type I ...helicopter will continue to cool hot spots and secure line. Heavy equipment arrived late in the day yesterday and will begin building line to the east of Lime Kiln Gulch today. Full update and map at https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6043/

Wildfires across the western U.S., including fires in and out of Colorado, are contributing to smoky and hazy conditions affecting large portions of the State; ...particularly in western parts of Colorado. The Air Quality Health Advisory for Wildfire Smoke has been continued and expanded, now covering areas including Steamboat Springs, Craig, Breckenridge, Aspen, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, Gunnison, Delta, Telluride, Durango, Cortez, Pagosa Springs, points in between, and more. Stay safe and protect your health! #cofire #RedCanyonFire #WhiskeyCreekFire #BullDrawFire #ButtermilkFire #LakeChristineFire #PlateauFire #SilverCreekFire #IndianValleyFire #CacheCreekFire https://www.colorado.gov/airquality/colo_advisory.aspx
Appreciate your updates, Jim even though I can't give you any more rep points for now. The smoke has started to get to me as well. Last night the smell was so strong that for a moment I thought the fields behind the house had caught fire! Thankfully they hadn't, but the last I checked, we had 3 small but active fires in Montezuma County. It actually hurts me to breathe this evening. Hoping that the Monsoon will kick in properly ASAP!

Old 08-02-2018, 09:38 PM

18,229 posts, read 25,887,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Appreciate your updates, Jim even though I can't give you any more rep points for now. The smoke has started to get to me as well. Last night the smell was so strong that for a moment I thought the fields behind the house had caught fire! Thankfully they hadn't, but the last I checked, we had 3 small but active fires in Montezuma County. It actually hurts me to breathe this evening. Hoping that the Monsoon will kick in properly ASAP!

I appreciate it as well, Jim!

Plenty smoky in the Grand Jct. area as well, am unable to see the Grand Mesa at all today, can see Colorado National Monument, easy for me to say though, I live just a half mile from the entrance gate. More of the same forecast for the weekend and temps for Mesa County are forecast to be in the 95-100 degree range. Ugh!

Old 08-03-2018, 08:33 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,718,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Tuesday night was the worst for me. I woke up coughing and wheezing, so I immediately shut the windows.

Saturday night, the smoke swept in so suddenly that I thought a new fire had broken out very nearby. It was wind-pushed plumes from the Plateau Fire.

It is cloudy and cool now, and I wish it would stay that way and rain also. A cool, steady rain without lightning or gusts would help weaken the fires, as well as bolster the plant life.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:34 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,947,493 times
Saturday afternoon I saw a huge cloud of smoke to the east in the general direction of the La Platas. It reminded me a little of the smoke that I had seen upwelling from the 416 fire near Durango, and I wondered if that fire had somehow gotten a new lease on life. When I went back inside I checked the Durango Herald online to see what was going on. Nope, it wasn't a zombie fire come back to life but rather a brand new fire that started this afternoon at Mesa Verde National Park. From the Herald:

A wildfire started Saturday at Mesa Verde National Park, a parks spokesperson reported on Saturday afternoon.

The fire was last reported at 75 acres.

“There is currently a fire in the park on Moccasin Mesa,” a park spokesperson said on its Facebook page. “Fire personnel are using air resources to contain it.”

The wildfire was spotted about noon Saturday on Moccasin Mesa, according to the park’s Facebook page, and reached about 75 acres by afternoon.

Additional aircraft, fire engines and personnel have been called in to handle the fire. According to the Rocky Mountain Area Coordination Center, six fire engines were heading to the fire.

It seems like there's just been one fire after another here in SW Colorado. Hopefully, they will be able to contain the Mesa Verde fire before too much damage is done to the Park.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:26 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,718,874 times
Is forest fire ash in CO acidic, basic, or neutral?

If it is slightly acidic, I wonder if it alters the alkaline soil chemistry of this area, after prolonged ashfall.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:38 AM

Bull Draw Wildfire Update (8/5 10:30 am): 6,097 acres estimated at 35% containment as of August 4, at 7 pm. Increased winds pushed fire further north into the... Uncompahgre National Forest. Fire area closure and additional road closures in place. Ash and smokey conditions in surrounding areas. Additional resources are being ordered. A type 2 team will take over management of the fire Monday (8/6). For more fire and closure information: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6059/

Old 08-08-2018, 05:12 PM

A new one here, KKCO-11 just reported--

I-70 has been shut down for the last couple hours due to a fire in the Glenwood Springs area. They're calling it the 113 fire as it is just east of exit #112 on Interstate 70 in Glenwood.

More info to follow as all three network affiliates in the GJ area are heading that way.

ADD------I-70 east bound re-opened. Westbound one lane has been opened.

Fortunately only 5 acres burned.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-08-2018 at 05:32 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 05:33 PM

Another new one here. Turner Gulch fire is now up to 100 acres. It's just a few miles from Gateway on Colo. State Hwy. 141.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado