Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,011,385 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be spending this weekend in Estes Park for our 5 year anniversary. Can anybody recommend some good restaurants? I know this weekend is going to be crazy up there due to the bicycle race, but oh well.

We will be spending Friday through Sunday up there and staying at the Stanley. Should be a good time as long as we don't get run over by a bicycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,130,214 times
Estes Park isn't necessarily known for "great" dining but there are some good restaurants. Our favorite in the area is in Allenspark, a 15-20 minute drive The Fawn Brook Inn |
Here's a link to a discussion about restaurants Good restaurants in Estes Park - Estes Park Forum - TripAdvisor

Old 08-20-2013, 04:31 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,695,713 times
Make sure you check the Town of Estes Park website for road closures on the 24th. We are currently in Buena Vista and the Pro Cycling Challenge came through town today. They started closing the roads hours before the race was due to arrive and I had to find an alternate route.

Enjoy your get-away!

Old 08-20-2013, 04:39 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,006,274 times
I thought Smokin Daves BBQ was pretty good, but I only went to the one in Lyons, I think the one in Estes Park is supposed to be the same thing

Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,898,165 times
Yelp.com is your friend in this regard.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:02 PM

325 posts, read 372,508 times
I've been to many of the restaurants in downtown, and I think Poppy's Pizza and Grill is pretty great. Not fancy, but good food.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,995,216 times
Wink Some Estes Park dining options

You should be able to get a fine, if somewhat expensive, meal right at the Stanley Hotel. A pleasant dining room.

Marys Lake Lodge used to have quite good food. Apparently their chef split town, and I heard some troubling things since. Perhaps try a simple lunch in their bar/lunch room (with great views); if that works out, then adjourn later to their formal dining room for dinner.

For Nepalese fare you can try Nepals fronting the Riverwalk.

There is a relatively recent Thai restaurant near the post office which I haven't tried, but it might well be worth exploring.

For pizza, sandwiches and hamburgers there are any number of choices along Elkhorn Avenue. Prices are relatively modest for a resort area, and you may well enjoy some of them. Decide on the spot.

Then there is also a McDonald's and other fast food available, if in the mood.

Last but not least, the Dunraven Inn on Highway 66 (towards the YMCA of the Rockies), serving Italian fare in an upscale and pleasant environment. It used to be quite good, and word has it still is.

This should at least get you started.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:50 PM

30 posts, read 44,129 times
Dunraven is still nice and consistent; another place we like for an occasion is Twin Owls Steakhouse.

Breakfast at Bighorn and Mountain Home Cafe along with Village Pizza are some that we hit every time we're in town. Mama Rose's can be good but is very hit/miss. Don't bother with Sweet Baslico though.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:22 PM

454 posts, read 1,226,660 times
First one I can NOT recommend is Nicky's which is before you get to the National Forest. This place is really bad and not worth eating at.

Ed's Cantina Grill is a really great place that serves more towards a organic style of food. While I am not a huge fan of organic their food is fresh and taste awesome. Worth a stop.

Bob & Tony's Pizza is okay but it has no waitstaff and sometimes get's super crowded but still not bad.

I have say my favorite there so far has been Claire's on the Park. Not a greasy spoon but not organic based like Ed's. It does get packed but worth the wait imo.

These are the few we tried this summer on two visit's to Estes.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM

100 posts, read 227,809 times
I second the vote for Dunraven. The drive out 66 is pretty and we've always had very decent Italian there (still have a few of our dollars on the wall as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado