Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,973 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are planning a vacation in Estes Park and Grand Lake over Christmas. The plan is for two days at the Stanley Hotel and then 4 days over in Grand Lake. I know this is probably a dumb question, but someone said that Estes Park/the Stanley might be impossible to get to at that time of year. I was actually more worried about that being a possibility in Grand Lake. Then I started thinking about it, and the Stanley was the hotel that inspired Stephen King to write the Shining, and the hotel in that book was inaccessible for the whole winter.

So basically I'm hoping that there is no crazy caretaker all by himself at the Stanley Hotel for the winter, and that Estes Park will be a somewhat hospitable place over Christmas. I had sort of imagined it as a touristy town with lots of people even in winter, not a ghost town with snowdrifts up past the roofs on Christmas Eve.

Thoughts? Lectures? Admonitions? Helpful suggestions? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:24 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,124,383 times
Hi Wordy! I answered your post over on Trip Advisor.
LOL! The Stanley Hotel is not impossible to get to in the winter. Someone has been watching The Shining. It is NOT like that at all! (The movie wasn't even filmed there.) There is no crazy caretaker, it is not in a "ghost town". Although the hotel likes to say it's haunted, even Ghostbusters couldn't muster up a ghost. No worries! Estes Park is a lovely place in the winter. Much quieter than the busy summertime.
PS I sent you a private message (on TA) with a link to Google maps showing the route from Estes Park to Grand Lake. If you didn't get it, let me know.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
The exterior shots for the original version of The Shining were actually shot at the Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood, Oregon.

Estes Park is readily accessible in the winter, although during a snowstorm it can take a while to get between Estes and the plains below.

As you can probably see from Neditate's directions (I can't see them so I'm guessing), Estes Park to Grand Lake in the dead of winter is quite a trek because Trail Ridge will be closed. You'll have to either route south to I-70 then west to US40 over Berthoud Pass or head to Fort Collins and take CO-14 through the Poudre Canyon to Walden, then south on CO-125 to US40 then east into Granby.

Either way the scenery will be beautiful.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:15 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,084,207 times
Estes is beautiful in the winter!
More than likely you will see plenty of elk in the town.
I plan on going there during the holidays too. It's a must do.
Have fun!!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 AM

Default The Stanley Hotel

Duh... I meant Ghost Hunters (SciFi channel).
Didn't they spend Halloween night there a couple of years ago?
Season 2 - Episode 0222 - Page 1 | Ghost Hunters | SCIFI.COM (http://www.scifi.com/ghosthunters/episodes/episodes.php?seas=2&ep=0222&act=1 - broken link)
Season 3 - Episode 0305 - Page 1 | Ghost Hunters | SCIFI.COM (http://www.scifi.com/ghosthunters/episodes/episodes.php?seas=3&ep=0305&act=1 - broken link)
Not to scare you off Wordy! I've never heard or seen anything unusual during our stays there.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,988,105 times
Wink White Christmas

Estes Park, CO can be lovely come winter. Particularly after a good snow when all is muted and accented in white. Not a sure thing, but possible. The town always puts out Christmas decorations and many beautiful lights. Cold of course, but with far fewer tourists than summer it can be a tranquil and enchanting time of year.

The Stanley Hotel keeps fires burning at least part of the time in the hotel lobby, and you can snuggle up there in one of several stuffed chairs. There won't be any crazy caretakers, the hotel is close to downtown, and you'll be sharing it with at least a few other guests. Some of them may be ghosts. Depending on your interest in such things, choose a room that is more or less likely to have such guests. Chances are you won't notice anything.

As others have mentioned Trail Ridge Road is closed in the winter so you'll have to travel the long way around to get to Grand Lake, CO. The best route is probably via Berthoud Pass, and through Grandby, CO. The roads may or not be clear, but unlike in 'The Shining' they do plow them regularly. With a proper vehicle and care you should be fine. Do check in advance though as Berthoud Pass can be closed briefly at times due weather. I-70 as well, for that matter.

One thing about Grand Lake. The entire region has been near devastated by pine beetles with most of the lodgepole pine trees (which predominate, at the moment) dead or dying. If a heavy snow cover, perhaps you won't notice. Estes Park is suffering the same thing, only to a lesser extent at the moment. This just a FYI in case it would have any bearing on your vacation plans.

Otherwise, this area (certain spots for sure) can be truly magical at times.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:33 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Hi Wordy! I answered your post over on Trip Advisor.
LOL! The Stanley Hotel is not impossible to get to in the winter. Someone has been watching The Shining. It is NOT like that at all! (The movie wasn't even filmed there.) There is no crazy caretaker, it is not in a "ghost town". Although the hotel likes to say it's haunted, even Ghostbusters couldn't muster up a ghost. No worries! Estes Park is a lovely place in the winter. Much quieter than the busy summertime.
PS I sent you a private message (on TA) with a link to Google maps showing the route from Estes Park to Grand Lake. If you didn't get it, let me know.
Uh oh....I now know who you are on trip advisor .....I answered that one too.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Uh oh....I now know who you are on trip advisor .....I answered that one too.
Aha! And now I know who YOU are...

Old 09-23-2008, 04:48 PM

14 posts, read 50,134 times
Hi! We lived near Estes Park when they were filming the latest version of the shining and I thought they did film it there. We saw the activity going on during that time and were told that was what was going on. It was in 1997 or 1998, I can't really remember now.
I absolutely love Estes Park! We have spent many Christmases at the YMCA of the Rockies! There was a tubing hill and an Ice Skating pond! And I love to walk around down town Estes. We've had to stop for the Elk walking around on the streets in town! It is wonderful!
They have a nice Christmas parade, too. But, I think it's right after Thanksgiving!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:28 PM

Yes, the made for TV movie was filmed there. Not the "famous" movie with Jack Nicholson.
The Christmas parade is held the Friday after Thanksgiving. It's fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado