Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:34 PM

352 posts, read 801,934 times

Advertisements

Research shows there are only two places named Branson in the US. One is in Missouri. We are "the other Branson." Being #2, I suppose we need to try a bit harder...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 08:04 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,370,785 times
and everytime I plug Branson, CO in on goggle, I get MO!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
and everytime I plug Branson, CO in on goggle, I get MO!
Maye you'd have better luck if you went to Google instead of Goggle!

Sorry, Debbie, couldn't help myself.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:25 PM

I think those goggles are blocking my brain cells too!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,422,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
Research shows there are only two places named Branson in the US. One is in Missouri. We are "the other Branson." Being #2, I suppose we need to try a bit harder...
The two are named after different and apparently unrelated guys. Josiah Freeman Branson for whom your town was named was born in Arkansas in 1867 and died in Albuquerque in 1944. Not sure if he's buried there but he probably is. He was married twice and had a few kids. I think there are some living descendents.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:35 PM

You're a better historian than I am, CAVA1990. Thanks for the info.

In other news, the deal was closed yesterday on an old house that the School District wanted to sell. Looks like there just might be a cafe/small market in Branson's future...

Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,422,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
You're a better historian than I am, CAVA1990. Thanks for the info.

In other news, the deal was closed yesterday on an old house that the School District wanted to sell. Looks like there just might be a cafe/small market in Branson's future...
That's pretty awesome. Have you got someone there interested in starting one?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That's pretty awesome. Have you got someone there interested in starting one?
There are a handful of us who are excited about making this happen. We're researching models of community-owned rural businesses as well as co-operatives (which have a long history in this part of the world and, properly presented, could garner support from both the longtime ranchers and also the "new thinkers.")

We're eyeing becoming a destination as well as a local eatery, maybe brunch and live music on Sundays for the after-church crowd. We're dedicated to serving good food, local/regional wherever possible, and attracting truckers, tourists, and others going through on their way to or from nearby New Mexico. As the word trickles out, we are sure to get tons of ideas and advice from hungry people. Question is, who will actually pitch in?

Investor #1 is from outside the area, yet advanced the money to purchase the property, which includes excellent highway frontage, parking options, 2-bedroom house, a bevy of ramshackle outbuildings, lots of room for outside tables, and a field that would be great for outdoor music and whatnot. It's the white house w/red trim; picture posted a page or so back.

All that said, there's a lot of work to be done. The County Economic Development Office has shown interest in supporting our effort, so we'll see what (or who) turns up. What a great time for some new folks to move into town and help us with growing, producing, selling, and eating some good food!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 AM

What is the growing season like there? I do Hugh gardens that take tons of water which I am on both a creek and well water but was thinking if I moved to high dessert, I might not have the water. I've been to Trinidad tons of time but not your area but assuming it is high dessert like the San Luis(sp) Valley area which has always intrigued me.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 AM

Definitely not a lush gardening paradise. It's a big risk to plant before Memorial Day.

Water is of course the issue, as the drought continues. The town has its own water system, which begins at springs up on the mesa and is then lightly treated to meet state regs. Depending on precipitation levels, there's enough to go around for gardening, but your water bill can rise pretty quickly if you're not mindful. It's all relative, of course.

Wind can wreak havoc on gardens, too. There's still some snow on the ground from the pre-Christmas blizzards, and that bodes well for spring. Last year was very very tough on ranchers and others outside of town who had to haul water in.

A few people started a modest community garden a couple of years ago. Things were going pretty well until a summer hailstorm destroyed everything. We might even be able to pull together a CSA if the right grower/farmer showed up. There's some interest in organic as well as biodynamic possibilities. We are what's known as a "food desert" with little to no easy access to high-quality food -- but we're working on it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado