Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 08:48 PM

352 posts, read 797,810 times

Advertisements

Yep, that would be us. The population is less now, though -- and we're actually 50 miles from Trinidad, as well as 50 miles from Raton, NM. And, we do have a bit more than just abandoned buildings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 06:47 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
It's been 3 years since your last posting, how are things going down in that corner of the state?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:47 AM

LOL, Mike from back east, delighted yet not surprised that my reappearance piqued your interest. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that tiny rural towns like Branson (pop. now hovering around 55) are challenged on a number of levels. No one is more astonished than me that I am in my 11th year since I moved (fled) from Boulder. Even more shocking, I have now lived here (where the plains meet the mesas) longer than I've lived in any one place since my East Coast childhood. We could still use some more people who are sufficiently self-reliant to live 50 miles from a store, bank, health care, you name it -- but there are limited housing options. Our school (both bransonschoolonline.com and our brick-and-mortar K-12 school) continue to be the centerpiece of the community, and also attracts students bussed in from Trinidad.

We're currently undertaking a fundraising campaign so we can come into compliance with some State Health Department regulations re: our precious, natural underground springs-fed drinking water supply. More on that in our new website bransoncolorado.com. The water is as safe and drinkable as it has always been, but a widespread reclassification effort has put us between a rock and a hard place.

For cycling enthusiasts, we've got the Branson Hi Lo Country Gravel Grinder coming up on September 21. Our local cycling community, all 3 of them!, have organized the event, offering up a 50-mile pavement/gravel ride OR a 27-mile pure gravel ride, followed up by a post-ride farm-to-table meal!

We also now have an airbnb in Branson that sleeps up to 6 people.

Every time I think I'm about ready to pack up and leave, I remember what brought me here. A series of unpredictable synchronicities, the way in which the natural environment upstages the built environment, birdsong in the morning and phenomenal sunsets at night. Tiny-town, rural living is all about relationships: It doesn't matter whether you like your neighbors all that much, or whether you share backgrounds or political views or spiritual/religious paths. Eventually, you find a way to navigate around it all (or you don't!), knowing that everyone can agree on one thing: Living here takes longer, and can often be more complicated, and everybody truly needs to pitch in to keep things going -- but it beats the human overload of the Front Range by miles and miles and miles!Come and visit: I'll show you around...

Old 03-09-2021, 07:15 PM

I’m reinvigorating this thread with basically the same words I started it back in March 2011: My tiny, remote, cattle ranch-country town (Branson) at the southern end of Las Animas County just 2 miles from the New Mexico border, needs some resourceful, self-reliant, entrepreneurial folks to join the community, contribute their energy and skills, and stick around for more than a year or two. I first set foot in Branson in November 2008, and before I knew it, I had relocated lock, stock, and barrel from Boulder in Summer 2009. Everybody I knew up north thought I was crazy. “But there’s nothing out there!” they cried. “Exactly!”, I replied.

Many a time I swore I needed to get out of Dodge, and now I’m feeling it truly is time for me to move on to my next life adventure. I have no idea what’s around the bend — except that I want to help find some good folks who may be a fit for Branson. Much of the older info in this thread is outdated, though worth your time if you’re feeling a tug to live unabashedly rural - and I don’t mean in a Mayberry or Hallmark movie kind of way. I can’t go back through every post and update it, so I’m going to start by giving you some helpful links and a few tips to consider.

Ultimately, anybody interested needs to come and visit for themselves. Forget about finding anything about Branson on Zillow; practically all rentals or property sales (if and when they appear) fly totally under the radar. If you are serious about “going rural” or continuing your rural lifestyle in a new location, I’m offering to show you and yours around — and introduce you to the people who just might end up being your neighbors. There is currently one AirBnB in Branson, with a second slated to come online soon. If you have very specific questions, please feel welcome to DM me. Otherwise, bring on the questions and comments after you've perused this thread a bit.

The Town website should be your first stop: bransoncolorado.com

The hub of the community is the Branson School District — which operates a longtime online school as well as a brick-and-mortar (BAM) K-12 school. Student population includes students bussed in from Trinidad. High-school students have the opportunity to take college-level classes through Trinidad State Junior College. The school has a very active and respected FFA program, and is also currently fundraising for major improvements to its football field. Sports teams are composed of students from Branson and also from the Kim School, 40 miles east. As of now, there is an elementary teaching job at the BAM listed, though it is undated.

Cycling your thing? Learn about The 3rd Annual Branson Hi-Lo Gravel Grinder Bike Ride, September 2020.

Fisher’s Peak State Park, at 19,200 acres, is open in a very limited capacity while under development. Not in Branson, though in the region and sure to boost the need for recreational products/services while also slaking thirsts for outdoor adventure.

Of Note:
Branson’s current population is in the low 50s (est.)

Following completion of an updated water treatment plant in 2020, Branson drinking water is 99.999% pure and is powered by wind and solar power.

Yes, Branson can be reached via paved roads, though some are not plowed during snow events.

Yes, Branson has cell service (most people have AT&T) and also is served by a local Internet provider.

Yes, Branson is served by UPS, FedEx, and USPS - though things can take longer due to our location.

Yes, Branson has a Post office and a Postmaster, open part-time 6 days a week.

No, Branson does not offer medical services. Hospital and doctors are 50 miles away in Trinidad or Raton NM. VA services in Pueblo, Raton and Albuquerque.

It is highly unlikely that anyone could ever buy 5 or 10 acres for a homestead in Branson. Just. Doesn’t. Happen.

Branson School is the major employer; a Las Animas County Road & Bridge Shop is also based in Branson. Some Branson residents have found work at Cauplin Volcano National Monument, 25 miles away.

Branson is a food desert, with markets 50 miles away. Someone with knowledge and experience of permaculture/ food cultivation in challenging locales may find support through Town Council.

And, BTW, Branson has historically welcomed and embraced mixed-race families.

What else would you like to know? I'll do my very best to give you friendly and honest answers to your questions.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:58 PM

Another example of the kind of can-do town Branson, Colorado is:

https://coloradosun.com/2021/04/07/b...ootball-field/

Old 04-11-2021, 07:04 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
Another example of the kind of can-do town Branson, Colorado
Seriously?
A town of 74 people is going to waste $500K on football?

Old 04-11-2021, 08:36 PM

A town of 53. I do not personally support the effort in any way, shape, or form. It is a project undertaken by the Branson School.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:37 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
A town of 53. I do not personally support the effort in any way, shape, or form. It is a project undertaken by the Branson School.
I'm going to show my age but maybe you can get to know The Fireballs at Raton? I think they still may be taking bookings although Tharpe died in 2006. Have the High School bring them up to a barn dance or a small summer concert. Advertise it widely from Amarillo, Santa Fe and Colorado Springs. I'm willing to bet one of the older folks there in Branson knows George Tomsco personally.

Let me know if it works. I'll be there.

The Fireballs - Bottle of Wine (Official Audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZyn...=AceRecordsLtd

Old 04-16-2021, 08:34 PM

Guess I'm showing my age, too, High_Plains_Retired. Love the video! Branson Old-Timers Reunion has been going for about 65 or so years, but was cancelled last summer and this summer due to COVID. They historically had a dance, meal, and a lot of swapping stories about the old days. Yet here again, as old-timers are passing away, that event -- which is mounted by a separate organization -- is needing to shift its focus and appeal to a younger crowd.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:22 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Guess I'm showing my age, too, High_Plains_Retired. Love the video! Branson Old-Timers Reunion has been going for about 65 or so years, but was cancelled last summer and this summer due to COVID. They historically had a dance, meal, and a lot of swapping stories about the old days. Yet here again, as old-timers are passing away, that event -- which is mounted by a separate organization -- is needing to shift its focus and appeal to a younger crowd.
I totally agree about the need for small towns to try to appeal to young people. Young people are the life of any community. Older folks like me are not the ones to keep a local economy flourishing since we tend to be very conservative when we do spend money.

Small towns here in Texas also seem to be dying during my lifetime, especially in the western part of the State. Many of the weekend music jamborees that I grew up with in small-town Texas, in almost every small town, are now just about gone. These things were always full of young people and I've had a couple of friends in HS who started playing musical instruments and singing at these things. I am sure most of the loss of these sorts of youthful activities has to do with the worsening economics in small towns all over America. Most of the recent influx of people to Texas you may hear about are going to the larger cities like Austin, Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio and Houston.

You should know that I was one of the many young people who had to travel away from my small town Texas roots to several very large cities so that I could attain a sufficient retirement that allowed me to return and live comfortably in a small town environment. I do truly admire what you are trying to do with your small community. I wish I had better recommendations but I guess the best I can do is to wish you the best of luck and Godspeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado