Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2006, 03:13 AM

6 posts, read 41,366 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about relocating from Hawaii to possibly Colorado. I know it may seem crazy to leave a tropical paradise, but the cost of living and expense of private schools is getting old (Hawaii's public schools are horrible).

We just spent 2 weeks in June in Frisco and just loved it. I could almost live there except I don't think I could handle the high amount of snow they get.
We loved all the bike paths, the mountain peaks and Aspen trees, the small town feel and especially that there was a lake. Coming from Hawaii I need to have a home with a view of water.
Are there any areas in Colorado where we could have a home either on a lake/river or with a view of one, in an area that has a lot of families (we have 2 kids ages 6 & 3), but doesn't get as much snow as Frisco?

Ideally we'd like to be 20-30 minutes from a fairly large city for restaurants, entertainment etc...but not sure if that is possible. We really liked the mountain scenery as opposed to the towns at the foothills (Colorado Springs,Boulder etc..). I was looking at Grand Lake, Estes Park area. Not sure about the schools there, and also it seems like it may be a bit remote.

Also Looking for an area with good schools and also low crime. Any suggestions??? Aloha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 01:09 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
there are two big bodies of water in the Denver area and several smaller ones. One area to consider is in Aurora - the new beach club subdivision.

there are lots of lakes and big ponds in and around northern colorado (ft. collins, greeley...

alas, no ocean view yet. Coloradoans are very patient folks

Old 09-01-2006, 09:59 PM

8 posts, read 45,925 times
Default We left Paradise, too

We moved from Southwestern Colorado to Hawaii a few years ago and stayed for a year and 1/2. We, too, couldn't really hack the high cost of living, so ended up moving back to Colorado. Colorado is really a great place to live and not quite as high as Hawaii prices, but boy do we miss Hawaii now. Once we were gone from the Islands for a couple of weeks, we realized how much we really loved the warm weather, easy going lifestyle, diversity and just being surrounded by that beautiful ocean. Are you sure you want to leave??? Anyway, many lovely places in CO to go. You might want to check out Ft. Collins, Boulder (really nice area but expensive) or the area around Chatfield Reservoir southwest of Denver. Durango is a great small city/big town with lots to do, nice people, a college, and there is a river, but they do get snow. Anyhow, good luck and soak up that Hawaiian sun before you leave!!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 9,128 times
We are thinking of moving to Hawaii in 2009. Just how high is the cost of living there? After reading some of the post, I am almost afraid to move there. Can anyone tell me how to apply for jobs while still on the mainland? Why are the public schools bad? Are the students bad or are the teachers lazy? I am a teacher here on the East Coast(Special Education). Please provide all the information you can think of about living there. I have never lived anywhere except for my hometown. I am a little nervous about moving all the way across the nation.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:00 AM

58 posts, read 244,701 times
Default I wouldn't...

Ever by choice live in Hawaii, unfortunatley the military says otherwise. The schools are plagued by "racism" of hating mainlanders, the meth problem is out of control, cost of living is insane. Gas 4.40, milk 5.00 a gallon, an decent house will run you upwards of 300s. The weather never changes. Yea its warm and sunny constantly but it gets old really quick. No seasons, Christmas on the beach was fun, ... once. Beaches are crowded. Violent crime here is really low but petty crimes (theft) is unbelieveable. I have had my car broken into twice in less than a year!
Move to Colorado, Utah or Alaska.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 8,812 times
Greetings. I saw your posting about moving to Colorado from Hawaii. Well, I am planning the opposite. Moving from Colorado to Hawaii. I love Colorado, but I also would like to move to Hawaii for a couple of years. Do you recommend me storing my stuff in Colorado or to just simply ship it? If shipping it - do you know of a good shipping company that will not cost an arm and a leg to ship furniture to Hawaii?

Thanks for your help. By the way, did you move to Colorado yet?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 AM

162 posts, read 467,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oranywherebuthere View Post
We are thinking of moving to Hawaii in 2009. Just how high is the cost of living there? After reading some of the post, I am almost afraid to move there. Can anyone tell me how to apply for jobs while still on the mainland? Why are the public schools bad? Are the students bad or are the teachers lazy? I am a teacher here on the East Coast(Special Education). Please provide all the information you can think of about living there. I have never lived anywhere except for my hometown. I am a little nervous about moving all the way across the nation.
My mom is a Special Ed teacher for for the D.O.E. at a public school just outside of Downtown Honolulu, and she has NOTHING good to say about her job, other than that its steady union work, and it gives her the opportunity to work with 2 of her students who she really enjoys helping. She says they are overcrowding the schools(and her class, making her care for children who have all kinds of needs she is not trained for) and laying off. HAwaii is NOT the place to move to right now, especially with 90& of our economy tourism based, and people being laid off everywhere.

I was born and raised on Oahu the first 18 years of my life, and its great, but when I moved to South Lake Tahoe when I was 18 for community college, I found the place I really call home; a place where the weather changes, people are always nice no matter what color you are, and is not overcrowded and ridiculously priced.

Good luck if you move to Hawaii, with complete sincerity; please do realize its a risky gamble at the moment, but all of us CD'ers got your back

Let me know if you have any more specific questions, including ones my mother might be able to answer about Special Ed teaching in Hawaii

Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado