Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:51 AM

3 posts, read 6,301 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

From what threads I've read thus far you've all been a great help sharing about your area you've lived in or areas you have experience in being in.

I decided to make my own thread to be a little more specific to the lifestyle I live and to help me choose the right destination for me.

Im 22 with my wife (23) and her two kids. We currently live near the Kansas City area and are looking to relocate a little more west. I'm a sucker for mountains, and half of my family has lived out in Colorado most of their lives and love it there. My family ranges in areas around Denver, Littleton, and Highlands Ranch. While those areas are really nice, I feel my wife and I will have a hard time affording such an area.

I'm still trying to research which place is one of the cheapest to live, but at the same time I dont want to be way out all alone in the mountains. We dont particularly care about owning much land at this point. A house would be VERY nice and thats ultimately what we're looking for, but if we had to settle on an apartment/condo/duplex or the likes then that might be an option. My first serarches on CO have led me a little further to the south, to such areas as Pueblo, Colorado Springs, etc. Not for any particular reason other then I thought it might be a little milder winter. Living where I do I'm just outside the city where theres billions of restaurants, shops, and all your basic city stuff. I could completely go for a place secluded in the mountains, but I'd prefer not to be more then an hour away from this type of city setting where the wife and I can go out and enjoy ourselves.

What I'm really looking for is suggestions based on a family of 4, considering my wife and I will be relocating with the need of new jobs, and also preferring not being further then an hour away from a city at most, but definitely okay with living right near the city as well as long as its not breaking the bank. I'd prefer a place that has somewhat of a milder winter (especially in the respect of snow) but I realize we're talking about Colorado here so that may not be possible to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 01:15 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,982,693 times
It's a little hard to grasp what exactly you are asking here.

None of the major Front Range urban centers (Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Fort Collins, Boulder, Greeley) are in the mountains. Some are next to them, but there is no real "seclusion out in the mountains" near the urban areas, nor is there any "having to live in the mountains". Everybody who lives in the mountains does so by choice. If you want to live in the mountains, bring tons of money, or have a job that you can do at home, otherwise, look forward to a likely hellishly long commute (read: the mountains aren't loaded with jobs).

Any of the Front Range cities have affordable housing, it's just a matter of picking which one.

What do you/will you do for work? Unless you make a pretty penny and are going to bring it with you, you won't be buying any land close to any city in CO.

Affordability, in order (IMO):
Greeley
Pueblo
Colorado Springs
Fort Collins
Denver
Boulder

Likelihood of finding a job, in order (IMO):
Denver/Boulder
Colorado Springs
Fort Collins/Greeley
Pueblo

You guys are very young, so IMO owning a house (unless you are bringing a fat pile of cash) can wait awhile if you want to make your CO dream come true. You have all the time in the world to become homeowners. I can attest, that even renting a house in Denver metro is not cheap. However, it is possible to live in Denver on a budget (we have chosen to do so, and it's working out).

If you are the least bit worried about the winters here, you might want to think long and hard about whether you'd be able to put up with one. IMO, winters here are pretty well balanced, you get the typical "nice" weather mixed in with snow/cold. Enough variety for it to not be boring. The further south you go, the winters will be milder, but don't expect severe weather to be completely absent, even in Pueblo.

If possible, visit the places that you are interested in. Each city/area suits people differently. You have to narrow your choice down to what you want, where you can find a job, and what you can afford. It's hard to say, "I just want to live in Colorado". If I told you that "I just want to move to Missouri", would you be able to pick a city (KC, STL, Springfield, etc). for me simply based on that? No, of course, not. Each place is completely different, and that applies to Colorado as well.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. I realize my post may of sounded somewhat vague, but thats probably due to the openness of our willingness to relocate. My wife is particularly partial to the areas of either hair styling (she has her KS licenses and such) as well as CNA type care. Myself, as far as the past I have mainly sales experience, but I plan to finish school for web design; so it sounds like maybe the mountains are out in my future still once I can bring my work with me.

I'll start checking into the cities you suggested and see if I can find one that particularly fits us more then the other. There is a LOT of information on each city on this website so it makes it extremely handy; especially as opposed to Google'ing "Whats the best place in CO to live?" since "best" is most peoples matter of opinion.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,796,513 times
Pueblo is not in or near mountains so you might as well cross it off your list.

The only real cities in colorado are Denver and Colorado Springs, so you'll have to concentrate your efforts around there.

I don't know what you're talking about "breaking the bank" because Denver is considered one of the cheapest big cities to live. Actually if you try to live in the mountains an hour outside Denver, you're talking bigger bucks.

If I were you I'd concentrate on affordable housing in Denver.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Pueblo is not in or near mountains so you might as well cross it off your list.

The only real cities in colorado are Denver and Colorado Springs, so you'll have to concentrate your efforts around there.

I don't know what you're talking about "breaking the bank" because Denver is considered one of the cheapest big cities to live. Actually if you try to live in the mountains an hour outside Denver, you're talking bigger bucks.

If I were you I'd concentrate on affordable housing in Denver.
I was under the impression CO was one of the more expensive places to move to. Granted its still midwest, it seems the average family house is 250k there whereas here its 150-200

Old 01-13-2010, 01:51 PM

11,840 posts, read 34,480,498 times
I do not believe we are a mid-western state. We believe we are a western state.

Denver is the most expensive city not on a coast. The whole state is not Denver.

Boulder is more expensive, Colorado Springs is less expensive. Grand Junction is less expensive.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:23 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,293,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Denver is the most expensive city not on a coast.
Chicago?

Old 01-13-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I do not believe we are a mid-western state. We believe we are a western state.

Denver is the most expensive city not on a coast. The whole state is not Denver.

Boulder is more expensive, Colorado Springs is less expensive. Grand Junction is less expensive.
Incorrect. It is more expensive to rent a house in GJ than Denver.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerC161 View Post
I was under the impression CO was one of the more expensive places to move to. Granted its still midwest, it seems the average family house is 250k there whereas here its 150-200
Within the past year I've read that Denver is one of the cheapest "big cities" to live in.

Other parts of Colorado certainly can be very expensive.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:09 PM

138 posts, read 340,180 times
If you're looking for cheap then go to Canon City or Pueblo. Home Prices are average 100K. Good luck finding a job though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado