Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 12:15 AM

40 posts, read 217,345 times

Advertisements

Aloha Everyone,

I'm hoping that I get good luck like mejustme on advice on the COL difference between the Aloha State and the Mile High Stateas she did with her Alaska question. Is there anyone in Colorado who used to live in Hawaii? I lived in Colorado all my life until 5 years ago. I am trying to persuade my hubby to move for 2 reasons. First, it is so hard to get ahead here and second, education for our daughter. Can you see a difference financially between living in CO and living in HI (ie, are you able to afford more than you would in Hawaii?) Any help would be great! Mahalo.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 02:45 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO mom in paradise View Post
Aloha Everyone,

I'm hoping that I get good luck like mejustme on advice on the COL difference between the Aloha State and the Mile High Stateas she did with her Alaska question. Is there anyone in Colorado who used to live in Hawaii? I lived in Colorado all my life until 5 years ago. I am trying to persuade my hubby to move for 2 reasons. First, it is so hard to get ahead here and second, education for our daughter. Can you see a difference financially between living in CO and living in HI (ie, are you able to afford more than you would in Hawaii?) Any help would be great! Mahalo.

Michelle
Aloha,
Michelle, my uncle lived for many years in Hawaii and I would visit. I will just tell you the good and the bad on Hawaii.
The Good - beautiful palms swaying in the ocean breeze and great beaches, blue waters, really laid back climate. Friendly natives but many are getting weary of tourists and people moving in.
The Bad - really expensive. Colorado is much more affordable than Hawaii. You pay more for food, gas, housing, you name it, Hawaii costs a bundle. There is a real bad "ice" problem in Hawaii - many natives are addicted to crack and other drugs so lots of stealing, breaking into houses and stuff like that. Honolulu is hectic with lots of crowded streets and traffic. There are alot of shanty looking areas and there are highrise condos and swanky homes too.
Neutral - It would be also good to learn Japanese as there are so many Japanese there now that it can come in handy.
My point of view is Id live on say Maui rather than Oahu, more laid back and not as many people but getting crowded. Dont expect quiet countrysides like years past - resorts, tourists, people and alot of them.
Hawaii Island is even more laid back but alot of rundown areas and not nice in alot of areas but great surfing. The volcano is somewhat scary swallowing land and houses every so many years and then there is the possibility for tsunamis like that one that hit Hilo years ago.

About Colorado the Good and the Bad.
The Good - Beautiful mountains, forests, pristine land. Bald eagles, deer, Elk and teaming with life. Friendly people although some people are getting weary of so many people moving in - notice something similiar there? Housing costs are rising but still not even near as high as Hawaii. Taxes are pretty low, basic living like groceries and stuff are pretty good.
The Bad - There is snow in the winter and if you dont like snow, you wont like living in Colorado. There isnt the ocean and that is a drawback. But there wont be tsunamis either! Colorado is continuing to grow like Hawaii but you can still find lots of rural areas in Colorado.
Neutral - It would be a good thing to learn Spanish as more Mexicans make Colorado home.
My point of view is Colorado is a wonderful place to raise a family. It is the California of the 1960s as I have heard some people say. Hawaii would be good for someone wanting to retire in a condo not having all the expense of raising a family. That is how I see it.
Hope this helps. O wau nô me ka mahalo.

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 02-10-2007 at 03:04 AM..

Old 02-10-2007, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 32,229 times
Default Hawaii vs Colorado

Aloha Michelle,
We are on the Big Island and considering moving to Colorado. So I'm interested in any replies you get too! We will visit Colorado over spring break to get a feel for it, possibly house hunt, compare prices, etc. For us, the big item is schools. The schools here are terrible. We have 3 children & can't afford to send them to the private school (over $9,000 each!). So......CO has some good public schools & housing is cheaper. Having spent some time on Oahu, I think Oahu's groceries are even more expensive than the Big Island! I don't know about CO grocery prices but it seems Hawaii is about 40% higher than Calif. I'll post more after our trip!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:29 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Need more Hawaiian food like L&L. There's one in Aurora. People look at you funny when say, "I wish I had some spam musubi"

Old 02-11-2007, 05:16 PM

111 posts, read 610,272 times
Currently here in the Denver metro area, 85 unleaded (the 'regular' unleaded) is hovering between $1.97 to 2.05/gal. Milk is between $2.50 and 2.80/gal. Those seem to be some of the most indicative of the overall costs compared to where you are.

Here, its a nice February day, sunny, about 50 degrees. But the remaining snow on the ground, on the streets is ugly. Its very brown, dead looking this time of year. (All year, IMO). Every car and truck, even those washed 2 days ago, are dirty, yucky. Really looking forward to Spring.

I lived in Kailua, on Oahu as kid (6-9 yrs old) in the '70s. I liked being there, but my brother, who was in high school, couldn't wait to leave. We were all basically beach bums, but he had 'island fever' (cabin fever to mainlanders) and hated his school, being a white kid. I personally liked never wearing shoes to school. Is that still a norm there?

Old 02-12-2007, 07:12 AM

Oh yeah, Spam is king in Hawaii. It is the staple food like hot dogs and hamburgers over here in the states. Never could get used to it but my uncle had it often in Hawaii, his wife is Hawaiian. She would fry it up and make sandwiches with it. Curling my toes as I write!

Old 02-12-2007, 03:43 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Dan6200alt - I would love to see some pictures of the remaining snow, the brown and cars, do you have any? Compared to Hawaii's lush green all year, how many months would you say is it that green in Denver, if at all? I am worried about not having the beauty that comes with all the lush green plants. This is why I asked to see some pictures.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:42 PM

111 posts, read 610,272 times
my kids broke my digital camera so the photos will have to wait a bit-hopefully some other locals here can post some

I've been here about 5 years and it seems like it gets green for about 2 to three months before it starts to brown out. Last spring/summer it lasted quite a while, so hopefully its getting better. We were in a drought for a handfull of years and, based on last year and this years snowfall, that may increase the length of green.

Keep in mind that this is a high plains, desert plains area. Its near the mountains, but not in them, so it doesn't have a ton of vegetation to begin with. Some schrubs and evergreens scattered around. Definately no lush greenery of much significance. I grew up in Tucson, Oahu, and southern California. I'd say that even Tucson is more colorful than it is here, believe it or not. Not trying to say its bad, just not green. The mountains, of course, are right nearby, with trees, etc.

I need to get a new camera anyway, so give me a few days if no one else posts some.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msheidi View Post
I spent 3 summers in Hawaii and 3 in colorado.I cant beleive I am saying this,but I would rather live in Colorado.It is RIDICULOUS how expensive EVERTHING is in Hawaii and the amount of work hours to pay bills does not leave much time to enjoy.Do not expect many visits from friends or family and it is very $$ to visit them on the mainland.I worked within the school system and saw first hand some shocking prejudice against caucasion children.The schools are horrendous... Hawaii,vacation there,yes,,live NO
Yes I agree. Hawaii is ridiculously expensive. Cant say I know the schools but my uncle had two girls who went to them and one cant read so if that is any indication... Yes it costs a fortune to live in Hawaii. Forget about ever having grandma or Aunt Jane ever come see you, it would cost them a small fortune, but some families would consider this a blessing! Ok just kidding!
If you like green, move in the forests where they are green all year long. Pines, spruce, firs etc. are green all year long. Southwest Colorado has the addition of pinons, cedar and natural evergreens to add to the mix.

Almost all the trees you see, which was taken in Silverton, north of Durango, stay green despite snow.

Another picture north of Durango. All the trees you see, almost all of them stay green all year long.
By the way, Wolfstad.com has a great blog about Southwest Colorado and surrounding area. Hope this helps you get a better undertstanding of the forests here.

http://www.wolfstad.com/2006/03/top-...lorado-part-1/

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 02-13-2007 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: Added Pics.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:01 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Great Pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado