Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:40 PM

727 posts, read 1,371,569 times

Advertisements

Pheteroi - NVICS...I love it. Count me in.

Thanks to Mike and Bob for the explanations, clarifications and assurances. We've been taking scouting trips to various possible retirement locales for more than three years (OR,WA,AZ,CA,NV) and just finished our third to COS. At the end of this latest trip, my wife said "I'm ready to commit to Colorado Springs." That made my day, since this area was high on my list all along. One of the factors that helped make up our minds has been this site and all the various boosters (Mike, you really do need to work for the Visitors Bureau). Unlike other states' sites, this one seems full of generally happy campers, who are more than willing to offer their candid advice to all who ask. Your posts and answers to my questions have helped tremendously with our decision and put to rest most, if not all, of our major concerns. As I'm sure you know from experience, a move like this is significant, stressful (not to mention expensive) and one where we don't want to regrret. Hope to join y'all soon... Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 PM

51,516 posts, read 24,857,944 times
I agree Carrera...I very much like the sense of CS I've received here n this forum, as well as other places. I'm quite adaptable, and as I single retiree I know that it will be a challenge making new friends and getting settled. But I have gained a sense that "I can do this" and "It's a good place to call home".

I wanted to say a word about the original purpose of this thread -- the budget situation in COS. I think it's very easy to want low taxes and less government interference in our lives. Heck, who can't agree with the basic premise.

Well, for the past year, I've been living that far beyond what most Americans have experienced. Here in Thailand, taxes -- except for a VAT tax in formal stores and services -- taxes are almost nonexistent. So are government services. You want a drivers license or to extend your visa. No problem. You might have to visit the government office four times to make it happen. You might have to slide money under the table.

And personal freedom -- it's here in abundance. The motorcyclists want to drive on the wrong side of the road. No problem. They want to drive on the sidewalk. No problem. Car owners want to park on the sidewalk. No problem. They want to park directly blocking your car so that you are trapped in the parking garage. No problem. The vendor wants to sell spoiled food. No problem. You want some consumer protection? No problem...there just isn't any.

In America we definitely pay for our services. But, we have services. That's what makes us NOT a member of the third world.

Don't get me wrong. Government should spend our tax dollars wisely. And, as voting taxpayers, we can assure that ultimately they do. But the picture some paint of frugal government, is a rather limited view of the way things work.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM

268 posts, read 1,133,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In America we definitely pay for our services. But, we have services. That's what makes us NOT a member of the third world.

Don't get me wrong. Government should spend our tax dollars wisely. And, as voting taxpayers, we can assure that ultimately they do. But the picture some paint of frugal government, is a rather limited view of the way things work.
I think what alot of us really want is taken out of context. I have no problem paying taxes. I just want my money used in the best manner possible. I want to pay a reasonable amount and have a reasonable amount of services provided. I understand that some services won't apply directly to me, but make the community a better place. However, I think those services should be very limited. Most of our tax money should be used to pay for things that directly benefit everyone.

I also do not mind paying to help people who truly need it. On the flip side of that I get really disgusted when my tax dollars are used to help people who won't lift a finger to help themselves. I don't like the victim mentality. If you won't get a job to support yourself, then perhaps you should starve to death.

I also despise the idea that throwing money at problems will solve them. I also do not think it's the government's responsibility to solve everyone's problems. Our country once thrived on very little government intervention. We seem to be putting more and more regulations in place that stifle innovation and progress. Get the government out of the way and let the people excel. If some people can't solve their own problems, let natural selection run its course. We will never solve poverty, homelessness, or hunger, why pretend that we can?

I don't think my ideals are that far from mainstream. Most people in our country face problems every day. They deal with them as best they can. If they are smart, they learn from the outcome. They also have a limited amount of money so they must budget wisely. Why can't the government solve problems smartly and budget their money wisely?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:00 AM

2,645 posts, read 1,858,969 times
Default Just the basics

Colorado Springs has the advantage of location. Resting near beautiful Pikes Peak, with Manitou and old Colorado city, Woodland park and the Garden of the Gods, not to forget Palmer park.

The city leaders have had their heads in the sand. Some parks look frightful; the streets are dark at night, downtown could be so much more. Closed swimming pools. What were they thinking; that they would punish those that did not want to triple their property taxes? Who did they punish? People that visit for the first time and take a gander at the street medians and we can't water because of high utilities.............no transit on week-ends.

When I first moved here, several years ago, the city was a vibrant, proud place. All of the parks were beautiful with trees and green grass (not just a select few parks) and trash cans and bathrooms. The median trees are dying and we have no flowers. What a waste.

Hopefully, our new city government will bring back the basics before they spend, spend, spend $4.2 million for 2 acres of land to widen a road. $36 million for a bridge; $50 odd million for USOC. Do you at city government think we the people have our heads in the sand?? No, my silly city leaders in a few years you have almost destroyed a beautiful city, that has survived; (because of volunteers and fund raising by this friendly community).

Molly

Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,323,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
The city leaders have had their heads in the sand.
I have a different idea of where their heads are.

Quote:
Some parks look frightful; the streets are dark at night, downtown could be so much more.
I disagree. We have tons of parks, and compared to many other places I've lived, they far from "frightful." The streets are well-lit, not dark. Downtown SHOULD be so much LESS.

Quote:
Closed swimming pools. What were they thinking; that they would punish those that did not want to triple their property taxes? Who did they punish? People that visit for the first time and take a gander at the street medians and we can't water because of high utilities.............no transit on week-ends.
OMG. Closed swimming pools. TEOTWAWKI! And what...we should have lush Kentucky Bluegrass medians in an ALPINE DESERT? And the people that lost their transit on the weekends didn't want to pay enough to keep it going, but passing on the bill to those that don't need it was acceptable? Poppyc*ck.

Quote:
When I first moved here, several years ago, the city was a vibrant, proud place. All of the parks were beautiful with trees and green grass (not just a select few parks) and trash cans and bathrooms. The median trees are dying and we have no flowers. What a waste.
I moved here around the same time. Looks just fine to me. Any vegetation planted in our (did I say this before?) ALPINE DESERT that isn't indigenous to an ALPINE DESERT maybe should be replaced with vegetation that does grow in an ALPINE DESERT.

Quote:
Hopefully, our new city government will bring back the basics before they spend, spend, spend $4.2 million for 2 acres of land to widen a road. $36 million for a bridge; $50 odd million for USOC. Do you at city government think we the people have our heads in the sand?? No, my silly city leaders in a few years you have almost destroyed a beautiful city, that has survived; (because of volunteers and fund raising by this friendly community).

Molly
Now on much of this we agree. There's enough in the budget to do what's really needed, but our city council does not have any reasonable sense of priorities. The use of urban redevelopment money to build a new mall (when the two big ones we have are full of empty retail space now) is simply pandering to the interests of the developers and growth junkies that would have us pave the entire front range and paint it green before stopping to consider their insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs