Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:21 PM

565 posts, read 1,848,504 times

Advertisements

I love Colorado Springs and am reminded every day I look at Pikes Peak.

I find beaches to be very two-dimensional. I much prefer hiking and mountain biking which Colorado Springs has plenty.

I don't like high humidity - the semi-arid environment suits me very well.

I don't like lots of bugs - Colorado Springs has almost none.

You need to be more concerned about the sun since it is out about every day and you are at a higher altitude. I am always wearing sunglasses and, if spending more than an hour outside, either a hat or some sunscreen.

You also don't see as many trees or natural green grass on the South, Central, and East sides of town compared to places back on the East coast. It is ok with me but make take a bit of getting used to if you live in those areas (neighborhoods do have trees/grass just the open areas that do not).

Downtown has an older quality to it. Not much for big fancy malls in Colorado Springs - only two and slightly older. Colorado Springs and the surrounding small towns still have a fair amount of small businesses, shops, and restaurants where you can actually see the owner.

The North side of town is the most modern suburbia area in Colorado Springs with newer homes and the latest fashionable chain stores that can be found across the nation. South and Central parts of town can feel like you are in the 1960's or 1970's again in certain areas with older businesses that have withstood the test of time. Out to the East are the plains and some developments where you can get a big piece of flat land or just buy 35 acres on your own (minimum acreage to have a well). To the West is Manitou Springs nestled up against the mountains and at the start of the pass going up to Woodland Park and other mountain communities. Manitou Springs is a nice historic area with small shops and dining and a pretty main street. To the North-East is the Black Forest with several enclaves of newer million+ dollar homes. To the South-West is the Broadmoor area with many older million+ dollar homes.

You also see a rainbow almost every time it rains in the late afternoon/evening - often double rainbows. Colorado springs is also the only place where I have seen an ice rainbow high up in the clouds coming across the mountains during sunset - a nice green and pink/purple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 PM

36 posts, read 109,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadchuck View Post
Hi guys...My wife and I decided that we want to move to the Colorado Springs area. We know it's cold in the winter and has a nice warm temperature in summer. We know it snows there! It's our passion to enjoy hiking, camping, snowskiing and mountain climbing. Here in Florida, we have the beaches and Disney both of which we have had enough of. There seem to be finer things in life than standing in line 60 minutes to sit on an attraction. We grew up with the beaches but don't go often so it's nothing we would miss.

What we really want is an idea of what daily life in Colorado is like. Do you wake up in the morning and regret living there? Do you wake up and thank the high almighty that you live in such a beautiful place? I took a trip last year that included Yellowstone among other places and realized that maybe my inner peace lies in the natural beauty of this world! I hear Colorado is "god's country" and from what I have seen, it's absolutely beautiful!

Assuming I do come, what are the tips to learn and things to consider that is different from my Florida life? The weather obviously! Thanks!!!

parrotheadchuck, have you been out to visit Colorado Springs? If not, you might want to come out first and check it out. It's a wonderful place and offers quite a bit. I don't think anyone can deny its natural beauty. Every time I drive through it, I'm struck by its amazing beauty.

Two things to think about -- one, it is growing into a large city. Not large as compared to Baltimore or Philadelphia, but still a large city. For example, the first time I went to CS, I was surprised by how large it is. I think the CS metro area is nearing 800,000 people. I could be wrong on that statistic!

Two, the weather. Yes, there is plenty of beautiful weather in Denver, Castle Rock and Colorado Springs. However, the whole thing about 300 days of sunshine is grossly exaggerated. There are quite a few days that I would classify as mostly cloudy. Also quite a few clear and sunny days! Just don't expect wonderful, clear blue skies everyday!

Also, the weather can be quite extreme. The thunderstorms and snowstorms can make driving extremely hazardous. There have been many times when I had to pull over during a thunderstorm due to it wasn't safe to continue driving. Also, a lot of the streets in the city, at least here in Denver, will flood. It can really be quite scary. As far as the snowstorms go, I haven't had much experience with them as I just moved here about a year ago. Last winter was pretty mild and very little snow. Having said that, there were a few times when I was driving on I25 during the winter when it would just suddenly start to snow like crazy. It seemed to happen especially anywhere in the vicinity of Castle Rock and the north side of Colorado Springs.

One last thing, CS is not a cheap city! It's my understanding that I can be quite pricey to live there. Especially if you're looking to live in a more desirable/upscale area. On the plus side, CS offers tons of restaurants and shopping. It also offers a lot of day trips for when you have out of town guests. Just my two cents. Good luck with your move!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:18 PM

54 posts, read 146,737 times
My advice too would be to explore the town without rushing to figure out what part of town you want to live in. If you want the sun to melt your driveway, find a south, southwest facing home. You want views, then you may have to shovel and purchase a home that faces north, northeast because most people live in the back of their home. YOU will love it here. Most people do.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:47 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,472,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayguyfromdenver View Post
Two things to think about -- one, it is growing into a large city. Not large as compared to Baltimore or Philadelphia, but still a large city. For example, the first time I went to CS, I was surprised by how large it is. I think the CS metro area is nearing 800,000 people. I could be wrong on that statistic!
Metro area: 620K, basically suburban.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 AM

598 posts, read 1,547,691 times
I've lived all over the world for the past 20+ years and decided to settle here in Colorado Springs. Lived in Washington D.C., Alaska, North Carolina, and the central coast of California, as well as many places overseas.

Been here now for 4 years...Colorado Springs, to me, is an amazing place to live. A little something for everybody. Love the weather, the people, the food and the outdoors. My girls love their schools and we have great neighbors. Everyday is a great day here in Colorado Springs.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:08 AM

120 posts, read 371,873 times
Default Living in Colorado Springs

I went one better on Colorado Springs and moved outside the city to the Woodmen Hills development. We got a 1/2 acre lot and 3200 SF house for less money than in town. Plus the taxes are less out here. No city property tax, no stormwater fee, no mill levy. The view from here is fantastic and throw in seeing a few antelope on your way to work, a hawk or two soaring overhead and coyotes yipping in the distance at night. Can't beat it here.
Falconlady

Old 09-02-2009, 02:19 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,990,077 times
I've lived in Colorado Springs for 29 years - still love it.
The weather is mild. It's different than Florida - we have a full 4 seasons but never get stuck in any of them. The winters will be a jolt coming from Florida. In fact the winters are very mild in Colorado Springs.
You will need to get a feel from the drastic change in temps. Even on a nice fall day it might be chilly in the early morning, warm at noon at then cold at night. Dress in layers!
Likewise if you take a nice drive in the mountains on a sunny day - be ready for the weather to turn quickly. It may be sunny today - snowing tonight!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:33 PM

283 posts, read 496,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
I've lived in Colorado Springs for 29 years - still love it.
The weather is mild. It's different than Florida - we have a full 4 seasons but never get stuck in any of them. The winters will be a jolt coming from Florida. In fact the winters are very mild in Colorado Springs.
You will need to get a feel from the drastic change in temps. Even on a nice fall day it might be chilly in the early morning, warm at noon at then cold at night. Dress in layers!
Likewise if you take a nice drive in the mountains on a sunny day - be ready for the weather to turn quickly. It may be sunny today - snowing tonight!
Sounds great. Is the weather in COS similiar to Denver and/or Ft Collins? We are still looking at COS/Boulder/Ft Collins-Loveland. Although we are leaning towards COS. Where in COS should we look for an upscale, or high end area that is close to the academy? Thank you

Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REIRehabber View Post
..... Where in COS should we look for an upscale, or high end area that is close to the academy? Thank you
Pine Creek, zip 80920. On the map, an area bounded by Briargate Pkwy on the south, Old Ranch Rd on the north, Powers Blvd on the east and Chapel Hills Dr on the west. Many homes back to golf course, great views, superb homes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:50 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,531,747 times
Weather is similar to Denver/Fort Collins. I went to college in Fort Collins and never noted a difference. Sometimes they get snow when we don't or vice versa, but there are no real climatic differences of note. However, if you go south to the highway 50 corridor (Pueblo, La Junta, etc.) , it is usually 5-10 degrees warmer, in part due to lower elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs