Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,125 times

Advertisements

the new(?) Flying Horse community? What are the pros and cons of living in that area? We've only been to CS a few times, but we're concerned that this new development is too removed from the rest of CS. Or is it? We want that community-feel and we really like their concept of a town center, fitness club and hiking trails, along with their patio homes. We're close to retirement, so we want low-maintenance, plus snow plowing and maintenance of the grounds. And are there any other developments in CS with the same features that we could consider?

We'd appreciate any helpful feedback you can provide us, we're just trying to gather as much information as possible before we visit next spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 10:08 PM

154 posts, read 432,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed333 View Post
the new(?) Flying Horse community? What are the pros and cons of living in that area? We've only been to CS a few times, but we're concerned that this new development is too removed from the rest of CS. Or is it? We want that community-feel and we really like their concept of a town center, fitness club and hiking trails, along with their patio homes. We're close to retirement, so we want low-maintenance, plus snow plowing and maintenance of the grounds. And are there any other developments in CS with the same features that we could consider?

We'd appreciate any helpful feedback you can provide us, we're just trying to gather as much information as possible before we visit next spring.
We live in Flying Horse.. not sure what you mean with too removed from CS? Yes, right now... the grocery stores are not right next to us. We were told that we might get a grocery store (possibly a Whole Foods) on Voyager/North Gate...but that's right now a very uncertain thing. We are approx. 15 mins away from grocery stores (10 mins if you like to shop at a Super Target). In Flying Horse you are minutes away from I25 and right next to Powers.. within 15-20 mins in the middle of Colorado Springs.. approx. 45 - 60mins from Denver. We live North of Discovery Canyon School (one of the older Flying Horse areas). We have lots of young families and a few retired people. The newer Flying Horse areas (on the side of the club house) are mainly maintenance free houses...and mainly retired people. The club house is excellent and the restaurants are one of a kind. The food and service are superior!!! Every time we visit we are treated like royals! The only other place I can imagine to get that treatment is at the Broadmoor. The snow plowing has been a problem... but I think that it is a problem all over the city... it is the city who is in charge of this.. and the neighborhood streets are going to be the last streets to be snow plowed. Our past 4 winters haven't been that bad.... it takes a day or two..and the snow has melted off the streets.

You may want to consider renting before you buy a house. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:26 AM

Sorry.. just remembered that there is one bad thing in the new areas of Flying Horse and I want to mention it because we have friends who complained about it. It is the dust/sand in the air when it gets really windy (especially in Spring). Since there is still quite a bit of building going on, you will get that dust/sand blowing around. Our friends who build a house near the club house (a maintenance free house) find this very annoying but they know that it is just a matter of time... until most of the lots are built on or grass has grown over them. And sometime in the future (who knows when!!) Powers Blvd will be finished (I think right now it is just sitting there and nothing is happening).

Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 AM

Thanks Rosie for the info, it's very helpful. I guess what I mean by being too removed from CS, is does it feel like you're apart of CS or more removed from the main part of CS....out on the countryside like Monument?

My husband and I want to feel like we're part of the community there in CS and not out in the country. We live in Reno right now in a development very similar to Flying Horse. And even though we're on the outskirts of town and border the foothills, it doesn't feel like we removed from the rest of the city. I hope that explains it a little better.

Thanks again for your responses! We look so forward to our visit next Spring.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:04 PM

I regards to our location... yes, it feels like an outskirt of CoS. But everything is nearby. Not sure what else could be compared to Flying Horse but which feels more within CoS.. patio homes with low maintenance..trails..club house.. Maybe other forum members can help out with this one.

For us as a young family it feels like a community because we all have kids going to our local school (Discovery Canyon) and it is a K-12 school... so, we get to know each other quite well over the years.

You are in a very different phase of life. And I think it will be important to be involved in the community (wherever you go). Are you at all interested in golfing? We are not golfers but I know that there are lots of Flying Horse golfing events and other social events (like wine tasting, cooking lessons at the club restaurant, just started a Bunco group, etc)...

Hopefully some others will post their inputs!

PS: Make sure to visit Fox Run Park (just next to Flying Horse)...has some wonderful hiking trails.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,128,498 times
I have never understood why COS doesn't have more of these communities. I would venture to say there are more in the southwest part of town though.
Palisades maybe? Good luck and hope you enjoy COS.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 AM

930 posts, read 1,655,528 times
Flying Horse is pretty far out from Colorado Springs- the way that development happens in colorado springs is that parts of the prairie, fairly outside of the city (Flying Horse is a good thirty minutes out of the city) get carved up into a development, houses are built, and a fence gets built around it, to make it seem much more exclusive. I would certainly put it as on the outskirts of Colorado Springs to the point of it almost not being in the city.

One big reason why my husband and I would never move to some of those places is that we would never make it downtown, and our kids would never experience the downtown areas because it's too far away to just visit for an hour or so.

Some people like that sort of community, but if you want to be closer to the city, I'd consider looking elsewhere.

Now is the time to buy there, though. They are giving as many incentives as possible- free club membership for example... which would make me royally pissed if I had bought it when the area just began and people were buying.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:06 AM

26,223 posts, read 49,079,778 times
Agree, FH is a bit out there on it's own and at the rate things have slowed down in the development biz, it will be years before stores arrive.

IMO a similar area in style and price is the Pine Creek area, especially parts backing up to the golf course. IIRC there is no gym in Pine Creek but there's the huge new LifeTime Fitness right on the eastern edge of PC, not to mention the YMCA just off of Briargate and Union. The PC golf course has a community room for parties and gatherings. The PC area is ten minutes closer to downtown with easy access to I-25, Powers and other major roads like Union Blvd, Austin Bluffs Pkwy, etc. There's good shopping nearby and excellent schools.

Near the PC area are also Cordera and Wolf Ranch which are more affordable and also with good builders like FH and PC. We have threads on both areas, and IIRC, locals gave an edge to Cordera for its community center.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
Flying Horse is pretty far out from Colorado Springs- the way that development happens in colorado springs is that parts of the prairie, fairly outside of the city (Flying Horse is a good thirty minutes out of the city) get carved up into a development, houses are built, and a fence gets built around it, to make it seem much more exclusive. I would certainly put it as on the outskirts of Colorado Springs to the point of it almost not being in the city.

One big reason why my husband and I would never move to some of those places is that we would never make it downtown, and our kids would never experience the downtown areas because it's too far away to just visit for an hour or so.

Some people like that sort of community, but if you want to be closer to the city, I'd consider looking elsewhere.

Now is the time to buy there, though. They are giving as many incentives as possible- free club membership for example... which would make me royally pissed if I had bought it when the area just began and people were buying.
CORRECTION: Free initiation social club membership fees for new home owners (value approx. $ 7000) - for new homes only. Has always been that way - right from beginning. Don't know what the golf membership deals are... we are non-golfers. But there is absolutely no need to feel pissed off as you call it.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Thank you all for your input, it's much appreciated! Pine Creek does look like it might be a better location for us, not so far removed.

I'm wondering where the major shopping hubs are? I usually shop at Target and Whole Foods and we like to go to the movies a lot and prefer a newer theater...

Thanks again for your feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs