Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:40 PM

10 posts, read 15,054 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My apologies if this issue has already been addressed here... Im considering a move to Colorado Springs and was looking for some local insight. I realize that there is a ton of info online, but I was wondering about the stuff that is intangible. Things that cant be measured in census data... as in, whats THE VIBE. My concern is that there is some well-known local secret that doesnt escape the city limits, which a newcomer would benefit from knowing(the 'Seattle Chill' comes to mind... wish i knew about that one). Im a single guy, in a very portable medical profession. The move is voluntary. Im not looking for a family environment (but its cool to live around that). Im not a club guy either... just chill. But Im coming from a very home-town/tight community-feel-type city and was hoping for the same in Co Spr. A born-and-raised local's perspective would be appreciated, esp from a single guy.I should mention that Im gay, however, that is such a small part of my life, that its hardly worth mentioning. Im a hard-core outdoors guy... hence the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
As a past resident of Colorado Springs, I enjoyed my time there. It is a very outdoor kind of place with so many things to do. It was a tad conservative for me, however there are some liberal people around, you just have to look a lot harder than in some area parts of the world.

You may want to look at areas closer to Denver being a gay person. Denver/Boulder is FAR more gay friendly than Colorado Springs is overall. The Denver area offers all of the outdoor activities that you are looking for, and also a far larger and more cosmopolitian city than Colorado Springs overall. There are also many suburbs around Denver that you may look into as well offering the home-town/tight community-feel-type you are looking for.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder14ster View Post
Hi,
My apologies if this issue has already been addressed here... Im considering a move to Colorado Springs and was looking for some local insight. I realize that there is a ton of info online, but I was wondering about the stuff that is intangible. Things that cant be measured in census data... as in, whats THE VIBE. My concern is that there is some well-known local secret that doesnt escape the city limits, which a newcomer would benefit from knowing(the 'Seattle Chill' comes to mind... wish i knew about that one). Im a single guy, in a very portable medical profession. The move is voluntary. Im not looking for a family environment (but its cool to live around that). Im not a club guy either... just chill. But Im coming from a very home-town/tight community-feel-type city and was hoping for the same in Co Spr. A born-and-raised local's perspective would be appreciated, esp from a single guy.I should mention that Im gay, however, that is such a small part of my life, that its hardly worth mentioning. Im a hard-core outdoors guy... hence the move.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
You may want to look at areas closer to Denver being a gay person. Denver/Boulder is FAR more gay friendly than Colorado Springs is overall.
DEFINITELY. I'm sure you'd be completely fine in Colorado Springs, but there are better suited places for a gay man to live in the front range. Do some research on how conservative the area can be and which FAR right organizations call it home (extreme homosexual bashing organizations). Or, rather, just read through some of the threads in this subform (hell, read through this thread once it gets going) and you'll see that there's a certain prevailing mentality in Colorado Springs as a whole.

That said, this is obviously a stereotype and many people break that mold (MikeFromBackEast comes to mind), but just be aware and don't be too naive regarding this issue.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:11 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Ain't gonna be any bashing in this thread, I won't allow it, and I will issue infractions or ban people as needed.

Note that the Terms of Service prohibit bashing. TOS states: "Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated."

Those who wish to speak to the issue of homosexuality can do so with full force in the Politics and Other Controversies forum, or the Religion forums if they wish to, and I invite them to go there. But in these relocation forums we simply address the issue of where best to live. I'm not gay but I have to keep the peace in these forums, treat people as equals and support the relocation mission of the site. There are plenty of bulletin boards, like Craigslist where people can go at it hammer and tongs.

For the OP, the best choices are Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:13 PM

10 posts, read 15,054 times
Thanks for the comments. I realize Co Springs is conservative. Im not really interested in what's best for a "gay lifestyle", as it's nearly a non-issue with me. I don't really do the gay culture. Im cool with straight friends, bars and neighborhoods. Amyway, Im just really interested in some local insight/basic generalizations about the place. Friendly? Boring? Bad restaurants? My interest here vs. denver or boulder is the cost of housing. I could afford a place in colo springs and a place in the mountains. living in denver would not allow that. Just trying to get the local flavor in front of a weekend trip to check things out. Thanks for all the input!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:30 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Generally friendly. A bit boring. Too many chain eateries and not enough original ones. Great climate. Right at the mountains. Real estate / rentals a good deal cheaper than Denver.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:35 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Although I'm older than Methuselah I looked at Colorado Springs as a great place to grow up as a kid (mid 50's to mid 60's.) I still like the area, I have two sisters who live in the Larkspur area and sometimes I'll spend an entire day in the Springs and do a little shopping when I do visit (generally in Colorado City) If I had to move back to the front range to live in a big city I'd pick the Springs overall. There's just something about Pikes Peak towering over the town, I guess.

As you mentioned of being an outdoor person though, there is one thing the Springs kind of lacks, and that is one road into the mountains (U.S. Hwy. 24) That's one thing Denver has is more roads to get up into the mountains (I-70 west, U.S.40 northwest, U.S.285 southwest, the road out of Coal Creek canyon, the road through Deer Creek canyon). True, you have so many more people who live in the Denver area.

Actually the best way to go IMHO is spend a few days in both cities, maybe a week in each area at one of the extended stay hotels and weigh the pros/cons of the cities. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:38 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
I am not a resident of COS but we made an extended visit this past summer in consideration of retiring there. Overall impression was that it is clean, friendly, housing lower priced than other places, reasonable traffic. Coming from where we do though (Austin TX), it seemed as an earlier poster mentioned - boring. That is to say it doesn't have that energy/vibe that matters to some people. Mostly chain or big box stores. Very few trendy restaurants. It will be great for us though- older couple who is ready for some calm and proximity to the mountains.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,287 times
I'd suggest coming out for a visit for a few days.

I've lived all over the world for the past 20+ years and settled here in Colorado Springs a few years ago. I absolutely love it here. Great people, excellent weather and lots to do.

I too enjoy the outdoors and never run out of things to do...whether it be hiking, biking, fishing, attending sporting events or finding a trail to run on. I also love that even though Colorado Springs is a large city, it has a small town feel to it.

It's a great place to live...come on out for a visit and see for yourself. I wish you the best.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:49 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
"Boring"

"Too many chain restaurants"

"Very few trendy restaurants"

Someone with an entrepreneurial spirit might just take that as a challenge...too bad I can't cook. I mean I also hear that there are no jobs, unless you like call centers. Sounds like a good time to make jobs and fill a niche. We oughtta open a restaurant, people! Or...you know...somebody should! I just had this mental image of a bunch of friendly folks from an online forum randomly getting together and pooling their skills to create a happening eatery...even if it doesn't happen I thought I'd share since it gave me a warm fuzzy feelin'. American dream and all of that. Heck, play it right, a shop like that could get its own reality show. Hahaha...

I couldn't be an owner of a place since I'm a military spouse and will eventually be leaving. But I'd kill for the chance to help someone breathe some life into a startup, that would be really cool...
Just saying.

Along those lines, I would like to point out to the OP that a town's personality and vibe has so much to do with the human beings living there. And one person can make more of a ripple than they would often give themselves credit for...who's to say you won't change the face of your new home for the better? Life is what you make of it! Best luck in your pursuit of happiness!

Anyone know any reason why there aren't so many small businesses? Are the codes, laws, zoning, taxes, available properties, etc prohibitive? Curious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs