Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 08:14 AM

336 posts, read 578,684 times

Advertisements

I'm a single woman thinking about CoS for retirement in about a year.

I want four seasons. I currently live in AZ and can't take the heat anymore. I'm also considering Santa Fe and Coeur d'Alene. I love the art scene and restaurants in Santa Fe and the beauty of Coeur D'Alene and its walkable downtown. Santa Fe is pricey and touristy and Coeur d'Alene has grey weather during the winter which I don't like and a lot of snow. So I'm really thinking about CoS.

I'd like to plan a trip in October to check things out, research neighborhoods and housing. I love old houses and would be interested in ones that have been remodeled. My budget would be 250-300k. Two or three bedrooms would be fine with a preferably small yard. If I can't get old, I would be interested in new construction with a good builder. I don't want to be far out in a sea of cookie cutter houses though. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'd like to be near good shopping and restaurants.

I've been to CoS many years ago and really liked it. But I don't know the area well enough to focus on certain neighborhoods. While I'm there, I'd like to tour the area with a Realtor. Please PM me with any recommendations. I'd love your recommendations on neighborhoods as well.

Last edited by suaz; 03-25-2017 at 08:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 10:27 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
When I think of old homes that have been remodeled I think of the Old North End Neighborhood, aka ONEN, a term you may search on in this forum. IMO your budget is about half of what a restored old home in ONEN now goes for, but there may be a few smaller ones.

Up in the ONEN area there is a walkable area around the Bon Shopping Center where there's a Safeway and a few other things. Locate Penrose St Francis Hospital and look in that area to see what available.

The downtown is kind of nice but has it's share of homeless folks.

I can't comment much about the art scene, there is some to be sure.

When you visit be sure to see Manitou Springs just a few miles west, it's kind of a tourist place with a bit of a hippie vibe.

The area known as Old Colorado City (aka OCC, also a searchable term) might have a small older remodeled home in your price range.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:18 PM

9 posts, read 5,227 times
Good luck planning your trip, this is an amazing place! I moved here very recently after caring for my father in Florida for a few years, and I am so happy to escape the oppressive heat and humidity.

I live in Old Colorado City, and there are amazing restaurants, coffee shops, art galleries, retail shopping, and it is all very walkable. The houses are an interesting mix of kept and unkept, but I always feel safe here, and the people here seem genuinely friendly. Manitou Springs is another beautiful, charming town, but getting around there can be difficult and time consuming. Manitou is a little pricier than OCC, and much steeper roads (may need 4x4 in some areas).

Anyway, hope that helps a bit

Old 03-25-2017, 02:14 PM

336 posts, read 578,684 times
Is Manitou a separate town I would guess? How close to Colorado Springs is it? Old Colorado City sounds nice with all of the shopping and walkability. Than ks for the info!

Old 03-25-2017, 05:10 PM

914 posts, read 2,207,061 times
Politically, Old Colorado City is part of Colorado Springs. It does, however, have its own identity, even its own downtown. Manitou Springs' eastern boundary and part of its northern boundary adjoins the Old Colorado City portion of Colorado Springs. For practical purposes you can consider US 24 and Red Rock Canyon to divide one from the other.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:08 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,373 times
Is that a realistic price point for a remodeled home in Colorado Springs? Especially in OCC or ONEN.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:33 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
Like others have said, the west side/Old Colorado City & the Old North End or Manitou, which is only a mile or 2 west of OCC. There are art galleries in OCC & some downtown. There's also a couple of museums. Manitou is a lot more artsy, with great galleries. If you enjoy taking art classes, Manitou has plenty, as does Bemis art center, the Business of Art Center in Manitou & some other places. Keep in mind that all these places are within 15 minutes of each other, so ez to live in the Springs & take a class in Manitou, etc. I've taken classes in Manitou & I live on the north end of town (cookie cutter new construction) & while I wouldn't love to do it in Winter, any other time is fine. I've also taken classes at the Fine Arts Center downtown, which has arts, music, jewelry making, photography, etc. I took a great class on understanding jazz there.

All those areas have mature trees, which may block views & sun (for snow melting), just something to keep in mind. I like to orient my driveway west of south, so the sun melts most of my snow.

ETA: That said, IDK where you live now, but if it's a big city like PHX, our art scene will be piddly compared to what you're used to! So, it's there & it's ok, for a small town, but I moved here from a big city & it's NOTHING like that.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:20 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Is that a realistic price point for a remodeled home in Colorado Springs? Especially in OCC or ONEN.

Yes, the price is realistic but there are a number of caveats to that. ONEN, OCC, Manitou and the west side may actually be not only the most architecturally diverse parts of the city but also the greatest price diversity as well.

Square footage at that price may be smaller, age may be newer, location may be compromised, or the remodel may be older. You may also have to move further from the central locales of those neighborhoods. Crystal Hills, Pleasant Valley, Bott, Mesa Springs, Bonforte, Kitty Hawk, Patty Jewett, Roswell could all meet those price points and are near those central locations, but just a bit out away from them.

As Ms Metal says, the art scene here is decidedly small. There are some co-ops and classes and centers for them. There are even some nationally sold artist that live here, but the consumer side of the market is not strong at all, so it does not attract much in support and any that produce works will be selling it elsewhere.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:39 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
OP...as a retiree, be sure you can take the elevation. It has had a negative effect on my health.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:26 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
I'm a single woman thinking about CoS for retirement in about a year.

I want four seasons. I currently live in AZ and can't take the heat anymore. I'm also considering Santa Fe and Coeur d'Alene. I love the art scene and restaurants in Santa Fe and the beauty of Coeur D'Alene and its walkable downtown. Santa Fe is pricey and touristy and Coeur d'Alene has grey weather during the winter which I don't like and a lot of snow. So I'm really thinking about CoS.

I'd like to plan a trip in October to check things out, research neighborhoods and housing. I love old houses and would be interested in ones that have been remodeled. My budget would be 250-300k. Two or three bedrooms would be fine with a preferably small yard. If I can't get old, I would be interested in new construction with a good builder. I don't want to be far out in a sea of cookie cutter houses though. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'd like to be near good shopping and restaurants.

I've been to CoS many years ago and really liked it. But I don't know the area well enough to focus on certain neighborhoods. While I'm there, I'd like to tour the area with a Realtor. Please PM me with any recommendations. I'd love your recommendations on neighborhoods as well.
I lived in Santa Fe and hated it. It has its pluses but I do not consider crime, drugs and prejudice in my list of okay things. Idaho is nice. I actually looked at areas to retire for 6 years before we moved here. It all depends on your needs and what you can put up with. Right now it is snowing like mad in CS but it does not last long--a few days and it is nice again. I like it here and it is big enough to have all the things I enjoy and need being retired. The people here are also very friendly. Cost of living is reasonable and crime is not out of sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs