Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:58 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times

Advertisements

As I browse through homes and apartments I'm trying to find non-smoking apartment complexes. Are they common or rare in the springs? I'd be willing to pay a small premium to have the entire complex be non-smoking. I like to keep the windows open and don't want smoke from outside--or another apartment--to drift into my space. It seems this would also be cheaper to maintain and clean then a smoking complex. They might have to turn away a few renters, but it would also bring in new people who want that environment.

Related note. Does anyone know why smokers occasionally move to these buildings? It boggles my mind, but it happens here so it seems it might happen there. They usually get tired of having to walk off the property to smoke and decide to move. Perhaps they wanted a non-stinky apartment and just hoped the rules wouldn't be enforced? (I report people. Only the management company knows who made the report. The fines they collect result in the policy being enforced.)

PS. No disrespect to smokers. It's your business, I just don't want to have to smell it. When your smoke enters my apartment, it becomes my business. If you stood outside my window and farted repeatedly, that would also become my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 03:19 PM

641 posts, read 2,276,853 times
I think the only way you'd be able to find that out is if you called the rental office of your favorite prospects directly.

I lived in apartments in Northern VA for many years and I know all the units were non-smoking, but I don't think the entire complex was. Sets off the smoke detectors doesn't it??

If someone wanted to smoke out the window or in an outdoor area, how could they really stop someone?

I haven't tried this link.

http://s-fhc.com/FindSmoke-FreeApart...oSpringsCO.htm

Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM

643 posts, read 2,385,577 times
I have not seen non-smoking apartment communities in Colorado. I suggest looking at private houses on decent sized lots that may be available for rent to meet your needs. If you are hell bent on a non-smoking apartment community, consider other areas of the country like parts of New York or California where smoking is not tolerated. I'm guessing you do not live in Colorado at the moment.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:13 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
You can rent a house for the price of many apartments - that might indeed be a better option.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
Colorado has some pretty good non-smoking laws, but they mostly pertain to public areas. I'd suggest calling the apartment managers and asking about their smoking policies. Many landlords will prohibit smoking in their units, but people will smoke on their balconies or patios. I also agree that renting a home is probably better since you won't have to deal with close neighbors who smoke.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:26 PM

17 posts, read 40,765 times
I'm with you can't stand the nasty smoke. I thought I'd encounter less people who smoke here given it's reputation for health and outdoor activities. Seems there are a lot of smokers though unfortunately. A lot of houses are close together so you'd still smell it when they are outside and you are outside, like washing your car etc. Hard to avoid altogether. I like to drive with my roof off and windows down, but always get a constant stream of smoke.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
I have not seen non-smoking apartment communities in Colorado. I suggest looking at private houses on decent sized lots that may be available for rent to meet your needs. If you are hell bent on a non-smoking apartment community, consider other areas of the country like parts of New York or California where smoking is not tolerated. I'm guessing you do not live in Colorado at the moment.
This post was hilarious because NY and Cali are on the bottom of my places I would ever consider living. It is a shame that there aren't any non-smoking apartments yet. I would like to see people have the option to rent somewhere that smoking is not permitted. Alas, private houses on decent sized lots in a good neighborhood for a similar cost to renting a two bedroom apartment is a little like unicorns.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,099 times
I moved to an apartment complex with my boys due to a divorce and love the apartment, but HATE how rude the smokers are. The management does nothing and it is absolutely horrible after the sun goes down! I am not just speaking of cigarette smoke, which is bad enough, but also pot thanks to the new Colorado law.

Keeping the windows closed is not a great option, because the air conditioning is ancient and does nothing except run up the bill. I wish so much that there could be some sort of regulation for this.

Second hand smoke causes ILLNESS and smells terrible!!!! If these people want to kill themselves - so be it, but why should people who want to enjoy the fresh Colorado air have to be subject to the "rights" of others. NOT smoking hurts no one!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 AM

FDLD, I know how you feel.

When I was searching for non-smoking apartments I was surprised to find that they practically don't exist in the city. It would be nice if there were a few apartments that banned smoking so residents could decide if they wanted a smoking or non-smoking community.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:12 PM

133 posts, read 486,387 times
I believe I asked about this same issue many years ago and was told that it's discrimination if you specify "no smokers." I also asked about child-free complexes and was told that's also discrimination unless it's a "retirement" community of age 55+ people. Then why isn't it discrimination if a landlord chooses not to accept Section 8? I suppose they can always cite paperwork hassles, regulations, and possible loss of rental income profit?

But property owners can specify no smoking in the unit; but that's not discrimination, it's only considered damage to property because of the stains on the walls, smell in the carpeting/furnishings, and cost to clean when smoker moves out. Even if people promise to do it outside, they can still say they've had problems in the past, etc, etc.

Discrimination = you don't want or won't rent to specific groups or types of people. But if you say you don't want smoking in the property and don't want pets in there = property damage. I suppose it's all in how you word your ad and what reasons you give to people inquiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs