Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:49 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,512,316 times

Advertisements

17"???? Why why would she need that? Is she a photographer,engineer or graphic designer?

MBP? Who ever suggested that... depending on her major she wouldn't need that either.

Get a white macbook they have just been updated the others have not. Plus Apple is having a B2S sale so you can pick up a free ipod touch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:17 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
Last year, my son did a summer program where having a computer was beneficial to him. Since this computer needs to keep him going through college, we upgraded a level or two (faster processor, more memory) so it would last him. He wanted a 17" screen for gaming (which he stopped doing that summer), and it's nice to have a numeric keyboard. The only problem is that it's bulkier and heavier than smaller ones and not many backpacks are too small to carry it. Still, it came in handy for his senior year of high school, going to school with him.

I'd recommend purchasing online and customizing a model. That way you can get a upgraded battery with more life than what comes on the pre-built models (3 hours vs. 1-2 hours). HP has 17" models and shipping has been free. If you're a member of ebates, you can get currently a 5% rebate by signing up and entering the HP site through them.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:42 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,556,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
My daughter is off to college in September (studying biotech) and she'll need a computer. We visited a few campuses and everyone has a laptop. Should we go for the standard size laptop or pay a little more and get one of the ones with the 17" screen:

Positives
- Easier to see; no need for a separate monitor
- Larger keyboard
- Has the numeric keyboard on the right side

Negatives
- Shorter battery life (but she won't be on plane; AC is all over campus)
- Bulkier
- Heavier

Dell and HP have some nice 17" laptops. Any recommendations?
Your daughter is the one that is going to use it. Why not just ask her what she wants unless she is totally ignorant on computers which I doubt.

She is the one that is going to carry it around, she know more what systems and programs she needs, etc.

I would just go to the user to see what she wants.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 06-05-2009, 12:52 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,560 times
Most laptops have a port for you to plug in an external monitor. She could buy a smaller one for portability and use the full size monitor at home. A regular full-size keyboard might be more comfortable to type on at home too.

Many laptops have the option of buying a docking station, this is common in many workplaces as well. It lets you connect a full size monitor, keyboard, network connection, power, etc. in one easy step.

Another option is a miniature netbook. They don't compare to a regular PC or laptop, but are small, light, very portable, and use less power (more battery life).

This is what I plan on doing in the fall, since I can always copy the work to my regular PC at home. I'll also be less concerned about theft or damage to a cheap $200 netbook with only a few files, as opposed to a $1000+ laptop with all of my work on it.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:08 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,589 times
Georgia Tech requires all incoming students to have a laptop. Here are the requirements:

Student Computer Ownership - Georgia Tech

They are a good gauge for any college bound student.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:41 PM

242 posts, read 789,137 times
I wish I would have checked here before I bought my 17" laptop. Now I have to buy a smaller laptop for fall semester and give the bigger one to my son so he can play games on it. Its nice to have at home but carrying it around and taking it to school is a pain so I barely leave the house with it.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:57 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Thanks to all. I found the college's requirements/recommendations online so that helps. Talking to a few people, the 17" is too large and I should get something smaller/lighter....
I think seamush is just looking for opinions, not answers. I'm sure his daughter has her own ideas as well.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,720,449 times
I'd go for the smaller laptop. I had the smallest PowerBook available (12.1" or 14", I really don't remember) and it was fine. I did a lot of work with Excel and Powerpoint (in addition to word processing) and never had a problem. I also didn't find a need for an additional monitor. It easily fit into a small bookbag for class or an overnight bag for trips home.

Unless she's doing something like art or design, she really doesn't need a big laptop. Weight is a big factor, especially when you're hauling a bunch of books with you, so you don't want some big clunky thing. Some of my friends with 17" ones would often just leave them behind because it was too heavy to carry with all of their other things to the library.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:04 PM

612 posts, read 1,844,139 times
You can find a good laptop at Best Buy between $400-$600 with a good smaller sized screen. Even if you do get a fairly "cheap" laptop there, you can always buy the student pack for an additional $150. My laptop is going to cost $399 to buy (w/o tax). It's 14.1" and very light. I'm going to of course buy the student pack since I will be taking a ton of courses. I don't know the name of it right now but just keep in mind that you don't need to get too fancy to succeed in college unless the major depends on it.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:07 PM

204 posts, read 813,615 times
I'd go smaller, 15" max, 14" is ideal mix between portability and viewability.

If you want to have a bigger screen, buy a 14" laptop, and a $100 LCD to have a nicer monitor in the dorm room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities