Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 AM

10 posts, read 33,797 times

Advertisements

Hi every body;
I am moving next month with my family (my wife and 2 kids) to Trenton NJ for a new job I just got. I want to pursue my study in one of the colleges/universities in New Jersey. I am considering either Rutgers university or The college of New Jersey. How is computer science major in these 2 colleges? I heard lots of reputation on Rutgers university however TCNJ is strong too according to certain web sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 04:46 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staph5 View Post
Hi every body;
I am moving next month with my family (my wife and 2 kids) to Trenton NJ for a new job I just got. I want to pursue my study in one of the colleges/universities in New Jersey. I am considering either Rutgers university or The college of New Jersey. How is computer science major in these 2 colleges? I heard lots of reputation on Rutgers university however TCNJ is strong too according to certain web sites.
For undergrad or grad school?

First off, you have to apply to get in.

2nd off, it it's undergrad, Rutgers really doesn't offer full night class schedules for undergraduate. And it's probably even less likely for TCNJ.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,584 times
rutgers if other considerations (price, convenience, you are admitted to both, etc) are equal for you

some employers won't have ever heard of TCNJ. almost all will have heard of rutgers, at least in the northeast

Old 08-06-2013, 08:26 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
I would attend the college that was significantly less cost to you including commuting costs of money and time (you have a family and kids). Otherwise, if everything else is equal, I'd chose Rutgers for name recognition.

Spending lots of extra money and time probably won't make that much difference career wise but the debt and hassle probably wouldn't be worth it.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 PM

10 posts, read 33,797 times
Thank you guys.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:35 PM

410 posts, read 398,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
rutgers if other considerations (price, convenience, you are admitted to both, etc) are equal for you

some employers won't have ever heard of TCNJ. almost all will have heard of rutgers, at least in the northeast
Spot on, a C.S degree from Rutgers in more prestigious.
I am pleasantly surprised that its C.S prgram is ranked 28th in the nation (tied with NYU) Ranking. Although all ranking must be taken with a grain of salt.

Further, Rutgers' curriculum will be more intense than TCNJ. After being admitted to Rutgers, you would have to be "admitted" to the C.S program which requires achieving a grade of "C" or better in 5 core courses. TCNJ doesn't seem to have this requirement.

Also, when I graduated in 2001, Rutgers C.S program was very theoritical. As in, they expected you to know atleast one programming language at the onset (it may have been changed as it was really tough to come from high school having done "BASIC" and be expected to code in java).

So really depends on what you wish to do with a degree. Looks like you already have a job are you looking to change careers?

Degree from Rutgers will open more opportunities, however will be tougher. Degree from TCNJ may not open as many opportunities but will be easier to procure.

Best wishes!

Old 08-12-2013, 04:53 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post

Further, Rutgers' curriculum will be more intense than TCNJ. After being admitted to Rutgers, you would have to be "admitted" to the C.S program which requires achieving a grade of "C" or better in 5 core courses. TCNJ doesn't seem to have this requirement.
You mean, Rutgers requires its Computer Science students to pass their core classes in order to graduate with the major?

That is intense!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:25 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
I would go with NJIT.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
If you want legacy prestige, go to Rutgers. If you want to learn, neither of the schools are sufficient. Rutgers has more research opportunity... where 80+ of a college education comes from. TCNJ will probably be limited to classroom learning.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Rutgers is the obvious choice over TCNJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities