Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,313 times

Advertisements

K so im going to community college and takin graduate studies so i can transfer to UC.... lot of classes are full and im also trying to balance a job thats in the pm shift while i want to take care of my classes in the AM..
anyways i was signed up for 4 classes for one semester but now dropped 2.....
Im thinkin on adding more classes but right now im kind of worried bc counselors are busy and i have no parents to consult to....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 03:11 AM

10 posts, read 34,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
K so im going to community college and takin graduate studies so i can transfer to UC.... lot of classes are full and im also trying to balance a job thats in the pm shift while i want to take care of my classes in the AM..
anyways i was signed up for 4 classes for one semester but now dropped 2.....
Im thinkin on adding more classes but right now im kind of worried bc counselors are busy and i have no parents to consult to....
Hello,

Do you mean "Undergraduate" Courses. Not graduate courses?

For this I will assume you do mean Undergraduate. It is tough to balance school during the day and work at night. Have you tried online school. These are just as reputiable as any state school as long as it is regionally accredited, most of your classes will transfer over.

You should also check out the UC you want to go to. Chances are they have online courses you can attend.

Give me a little more information on what your quesitons is and I may be able to help..

FYI I am an education advisor for the US military and worked in career education prior to that as well.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truaries View Post
Hello,

Do you mean "Undergraduate" Courses. Not graduate courses?

For this I will assume you do mean Undergraduate. It is tough to balance school during the day and work at night. Have you tried online school. These are just as reputiable as any state school as long as it is regionally accredited, most of your classes will transfer over.

You should also check out the UC you want to go to. Chances are they have online courses you can attend.

Give me a little more information on what your quesitons is and I may be able to help..

FYI I am an education advisor for the US military and worked in career education prior to that as well.
hey thanks for the help
im trying to do a UCSD transfer system in which if i take the creddited courses and pass with at least a C, i am guarenteed into the school.
And to transfer over i need 60credits which is usually 15 credits a semester...
This is where I messed up in which i had 4 classes but am now down to 2 so thats only about 7 credits for this semester....
And right now Im trying to add my classes but they are all full
and also im trying to make my classes in the daytime so i can work night time to cover my rent.....

I have no help from my parents and I really want an education
If you can help that would be great

Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
I suggest you talk to your advisor at your college. The advisors at your CC will be much more knowledgeable about transferring from your specific college to another one. Any of us posters here are really just guessing at what would work.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:06 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,806 times
Quote:
I have no advice for you, but want to congratulate you on your desire to acquire an education. Many kids today, aren't as motivated as you.

Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,278 times
take classes online! Gen ed is a bunch of bs anyways

Old 08-28-2008, 10:02 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I suggest you talk to your advisor at your college. The advisors at your CC will be much more knowledgeable about transferring from your specific college to another one. Any of us posters here are really just guessing at what would work.
Very good advice from Toobusy. Getting some ideas here might be helpful in a general way, but no one here knows the details of your situation, so no one here can give you anything better than speculation about what might work best for you. College advisers will know more about how a specific plan would work out.

I do have a thought that does not involve an immediate answer to the question of what your next move should be, but which still relates. This is that you seem to be putting a lot of pressure on yourself. I'm guessing that you are of traditional age to be starting college--late teens or very early 20's--in which case you have plenty of time to get through school and get established in a career. You might do well to consider easing back and not trying to take a full load of credits while also supporting yourself financially. Along the way, you can re-assess your situation occasionally, to determine whether the best balance between work and school hours might have changed. I realize that you most likely want to forge ahead as quickly as possible, but if you were to overload yourself and fail classes as a result, it would actually end up taking longer for you to finish school than it would to limit yourself to as many credits as you could handle along with the hours you work to support yourself, even if this might mean cutting back on credits.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:11 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
Quote:
hey thanks for the help
im trying to do a UCSD transfer system in which if i take the creddited courses and pass with at least a C, i am guarenteed into the school.
And to transfer over i need 60credits which is usually 15 credits a semester...
This is where I messed up in which i had 4 classes but am now down to 2 so thats only about 7 credits for this semester....
And right now Im trying to add my classes but they are all full
and also im trying to make my classes in the daytime so i can work night time to cover my rent.....

Did you fill out a FAFSA to get financial aid? I think there's a way you can file so you don't have to include your parents.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:05 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,589 times
If your counselors are busy at the moment, set up an appointment.

Also a tip: When your reading through a textbook or book, take notes. If you take notes beforehand, and study them, that means you have two chances to learn the material. Once at home, and once in the lecture.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:08 AM

hey thanks everyone for ur input!
I waited about 3 days to talk with the counselor
and got everything plannned.
Dropped 2 but added 2 more so back to 3 classes and i might take another one online.
first priortiy is to find a job!
thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities