Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 03:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Bullssh...... What is arrogant is to suggest these [professors] people are genuine in their pursuit of teaching others. They are in it to raise money to keep their jobs because it beats manual labor and it's one of the remaining places you can get a pension anymore. Most of the "learning" going on at the undergraduate level is mostly done by yourself. You're basically paying for the physical piece of paper in the pay to play racket we call our labor market.

As to the "teaching", TAs are basically punked into teaching the classes, professors are too busy chasing the grant carrot. The majority of 'teachers' at 4 year institutions are armies of starving adjuncts that you pay no benefits to and keep them chasing the fake carrot of tenure. I would know, I was on both sides of the classroom during my "tenure" at academia. This isn't a community college either, these were big name 4 year institutions in both the Midwest and the Southeast. So regionalisms are not even a factor. Academia in this country is the biggest racket (from an economic perspective) and the biggest self-licking ice cream cone there is, second only to the military industrial complex and healthcare.

$1.20 and a master's degree in engineering from these institutions gets me a cup of coffee in the morning.
I never said profs. were there only to help people, I said they know a lot more than we do about their field.

I am sorry if you were a poor TA (as you seemed to suggest), but even the most out of touch prof. has a PhD and research requirements, and every prof has office hours that you can go to. And if you are suggesting people pursue PhD's for the money you really are not the sharpest guy out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 07:21 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You can always go to the library and learn. You don't need to sit through boring lectures from some old fuddy duddy professor.
...and you can always pull your own teeth when the rot, too.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
That is the perspective I had when I was in college. It seemed like a lot of BS to me which in turn cheapened the value and the experience. I lost respect for all of my professors except for the ones that were deeply passionate about their subject. The few professors that were amazing were also professionals in their fields. I could tell they were hard working individuals and they often displayed patience to the novices like myself. There were of course the elderly and demented professors that babbled to themselves, lashed out in rage, and cussed students out. Those professors made my education so much more valuable. Not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Bullssh...... What is arrogant is to suggest these [professors] people are genuine in their pursuit of teaching others. They are in it to raise money to keep their jobs because it beats manual labor and it's one of the remaining places you can get a pension anymore. Most of the "learning" going on at the undergraduate level is mostly done by yourself. You're basically paying for the physical piece of paper in the pay to play racket we call our labor market.

As to the "teaching", TAs are basically punked into teaching the classes, professors are too busy chasing the grant carrot. The majority of 'teachers' at 4 year institutions are armies of starving adjuncts that you pay no benefits to and keep them chasing the fake carrot of tenure. I would know, I was on both sides of the classroom during my "tenure" at academia. This isn't a community college either, these were big name 4 year institutions in both the Midwest and the Southeast. So regionalisms are not even a factor. Academia in this country is the biggest racket (from an economic perspective) and the biggest self-licking ice cream cone there is, second only to the military industrial complex and healthcare.

$1.20 and a master's degree in engineering from these institutions gets me a cup of coffee in the morning.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 PM

A lack of education never killed anyone

A rotten tooth has the possibility of spreading and killing the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
...and you can always pull your own teeth when the rot, too.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:

A lack of education is the reason we have a high unemployment rate, high homeless rate, it is the reason obese people continue eating fast food, a lack of education is the reason for the majority of the problems in America today.

I disagree with you on this one.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:56 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,025 times
Quote:

...so yank the da*n thing out! You don't need a dentist...don't be a wu*s...Use vice grips and your garage door opener!

....“The lack of education causes death,” she said. “More children die under the age of five when parents are not educated, More people get AIDS when they haven’t had an education. Statistics prove that if every child was in school every year, 700,000 less people would get AIDS.” (http://www.celebspin.com/2006/04/jolie-on-birth-im-ready-for-anything/ - broken link)

Old 11-26-2009, 01:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
education is good, debt is not. if he learns that debt is not his friend no matter what righteous the flag it flys, then he will have benefited.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:59 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
I don't want to disrespect anyone, but not going to college in this day and age may be a financial death sentence. The job market gets more and more sophisticated, which requires more skills then ever not to mention the competition is insane out there. You CAN NEVER have enough education and training in this day and age.
It's truly BS written by the guy who have no clue. First, colleges, unlike trade schools, are not in business of teaching skills. Stop listening marketing BS. You can educate yourself out of jobs. Yes, a college degree is used by many employers as a screening tools certifying your trainability, docility, obedience, boredom tolerance, etc.. Many jobs requiring a college degree to qualify don't really require college education to perform a job.

However, if a college degree is good, it does NOT mean that 2-3 college degrees are better. HR departments have logic of their own, and spending too much time on educating oneself instead of joining the rat race is a RED FLAG, it's not the kind of people corporate America wants.

Get a Ph.D. and you'll see that you are virtually unemployable outside of the narrow field, in certain types of jobs, your Ph.D. is good for. How many Ph.D.s become CEOs and top corporate brass? I'm sure there are a few, but their numbers are negligible.

Whatever mistakes that guys made, at least he figured one thing out, for many (not all) people it's much wiser to invest their time, money & efforts in learning a trade and self-sufficiency from corporate America (as much as possible) than making yourself look pretty to HR managers, using all kinds of self-adjustment/improvement & tricks before being permanently discarded. Not only it's degrading, competition is steep and there are no guarantees.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:02 PM

So morbidly obese people can't go to the library and use the internet there and read nutrition books or take the free continuing education courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
A lack of education is the reason we have a high unemployment rate, high homeless rate, it is the reason obese people continue eating fast food, a lack of education is the reason for the majority of the problems in America today.

I disagree with you on this one.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:03 PM

Are they talking formal education like university and college? Or education that you can get for free at a library, on the net, or talking with various people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
...so yank the da*n thing out! You don't need a dentist...don't be a wu*s...Use vice grips and your garage door opener!

....“The lack of education causes death,” she said. “More children die under the age of five when parents are not educated, More people get AIDS when they haven’t had an education. Statistics prove that if every child was in school every year, 700,000 less people would get AIDS.” (http://www.celebspin.com/2006/04/jolie-on-birth-im-ready-for-anything/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities