Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 08:20 PM

6 posts, read 23,217 times

Advertisements

I'm 21 and I'm about to graduate from college in December with a BA in Communication Studies - Public Relations track and a certificate in International Public Relations. I will have completed my degree in 3.5 years. I've done three unpaid internships, one for a small non-profit organization, one for a PBS television show and one for one of the top 10 brand marketing firms in the country. I'm really worried about graduating in December and not being able to find a job because I know MANY people who graduated in May or even Dec 08 and they still can't find anything. I've thought about getting a certificate to be a paralegal ever since I was in high school, and I wanted to get opinions from people here about it.

I'm thinking about getting a certificate to become a paralegal to be my backup plan if I can't find a job in my field. I only have to take 8 hours at my university to graduate this semester and I've already signed up for 3 paralegal courses at the local community college that fit into my schedule, so I would have a total of 16 credit hours this fall.

Now I'm having second thoughts about getting the certificate to become a paralegal. I could finish it by next August, but now I'm sitting here wondering if I would even like being a paralegal. Is anyone here one? Do you like it? Or any suggestions for what I should do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I keep going back and forth about what I should do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:40 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,365,816 times
I would say that you should take the paralegal courses because you have the time to do so now. If you get a job after you graduate and hate it, you'll wish you had something to fall back on and will have to juggle full time employment with classes and that really burns you out.

If not paralegal, maybe you could choose something that you're more interested in. Again, now is the time to take them since you have it available. Don't let it slide by. If it's not too expensive, take the paralegal courses. You might not use them for years or maybe never but you'll always have them there.

Also, if you get a job in PR, I think that having some type of legal training may open up more doors within PR that you might enjoy. I say go for it.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-05-2009, 06:36 AM

421 posts, read 2,536,093 times
Go into dentistry, it's a great part of the medical field and you'll always have a job! I have no complaints, the vacations are nice too.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,115,663 times
I think you're just nervous about graduating. You can always go back for a certification. Give yourself at least a year to see how your BA works out for you. Best of luck.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:41 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,384,159 times
Forget the paralegal certificate. Just take your degree and go out and find a job. Maybe you'll have to be an admin assistant for a couple of years while you're networking your way in to a job in your major. Maybe you'll have to stock shelves at Costco for a while. Don't spend more money, and don't go deeper in debt, paying money to have a fall-back position. You have a degree, and that'll open some doors for you regardless of what it is in.

You're young. Get a job doing anything that'll pay the bills while you work toward getting a job in your field.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:44 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,533,280 times
if your question is exclusively to paralegal work, i would defer to any attorneys that could help.
those who i have known were quick and good at their jobs.
some stress.
pay varied greatly.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:49 AM

605 posts, read 2,162,404 times
Sounds like a lot of work for a job that you are doing for the sake of employment rather than interest. The economy will turn around before next August. Also, even if you get a low-paying job in PR, you will still be building professional contacts, making some money, and potentially getting benefits like medical and 401(k). Stay in school for a certificate, and all you get is to pay tuition bills and a certificate that you may or may not use.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 23,217 times
Thanks for the advice everyone! You've really given me a lot to think about. I've decided on a compromise: I'm just going to take Intro to Paralegal Studies, a 2 hour course, once a week to see if I'm interested in pursuing it after graduation so I'll know what I'm getting into. I'm also going to actively seek jobs/internships in PR this semester.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:06 AM

409 posts, read 2,636,022 times
"Be Cool, Stay in School"
You can be a part time student while you look for a job. Best of Luck.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:31 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,307,586 times
From people I've known, paralegal work can be awesome and interesting or it can be horribly dull and "glorified clerical" work.

I have worked in law offices. Made good friends with one paralegal as a result, and to her it was 'just a job' but pays decently. I watched what she did from day to day. Would have put me to sleep for sure, and I don't know how she put up with arrogant and cranky attorney bosses! (not that they ALL are but these sure were!)

Then again there are paralegal jobs that can be awesome, where you get to do legal research and have a lot of variety at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities