Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:16 AM

541 posts, read 1,340,686 times

Advertisements

i am European, live in California with my american husband.I am about to make a list with great universities, i intend to visit with my husband and child (junior),highly gifted. I am looking for best universities in USA (both study possible in business and science, money not an issue). Any suggestion? we already visited Harvard and MIT, need around 10,15 more. I appreciate any impression,suggestion,personal experience.

I have following, am about to research more,try to select, add, remove form the list.So..list is not final.

CALIFORNIA

1.UCLA
2.UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
3.BERKELEY
4.STANFORD
5.UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN DIEGO
6. UNIVERSITY OF SANTA BARBARA

NEW YORK

1. CORNEL UNIVERSITY
2.PRINCETON UNIVERSITY
3.COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
4. NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
5.SYRACUSE

ATLANTA

1.GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TEHNOLOGY

TEXAS

1. UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS
2.RICE UNIVERSITY

MICHIGAN

1. UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

CONNECTICUT

1.YALE

NORTH CAROLINA

1.DUKE UNIVERSITY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 01:38 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
If your in North Carolina and don't visit UNC Chapel Hill, your doing him a disservice

What kind of business? "Business" covers everything, and nothing. If he's siding more to Supply Chain and production management:

Michigan State has a great program, at the grad level.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. When I was in college, it was the football players who majored in business undergrad. It seems to me about the only valuable undergrad business degree is accounting. Business is more of a graduate program.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:04 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
If he wants to study business, you should visit the University of Pennsylvania.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:15 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
VIRGINIA
1. University of Virginia (this is in contention for one of the best overall universities in the entire country)
2. College of William and Mary
3. University of Richmond

Old 09-02-2013, 03:54 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default My personal reactoin is

You have way too much fuel in your helicopter.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Updated the list for you.

CALIFORNIA

1.UCLA
2.UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
3.BERKELEY
4.STANFORD

NEW YORK

1. CORNEL UNIVERSITY
2. COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
3. NEW YORK UNIVERSITY

NEW JERSEY
1.PRINCETON UNIVERSITY

PENNSYLVANIA
1. PENN

MASSACHUSETTS
1. TUFTS

ATLANTA
1.GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TEHNOLOGY

TEXAS
1. RICE UNIVERSITY

MICHIGAN
1. UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

CONNECTICUT
1.YALE

RHODE ISLAND
1. BROWN UNIVERSITY

NORTH CAROLINA
1.DUKE UNIVERSITY

Old 09-02-2013, 09:49 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
If you are just looking for a list of schools that would be considered "elite" we could probably give you at least 30 of them. Especially if "business" and "science" are the only guidelines. Can you provide more detail?

What aspect of business is your child interested in?
Which science?
Do they have any preference when it comes to class size?
Does your child like big cities? Suburbs? Small towns?
Do they have a preference for climate?
What careers are they considering?
What is his or her overall personality? What kind of friends do they gravitate towards?

You don't have to answer them all, but even a few would help.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:58 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
A propos of a previous thread, it's my firm belief that small liberal arts colleges provide the best educations for undergraduates, without in any way foreclosing on being accepted by a first-rate university for a degree in any of the sciences, professions, or business. In some cases, it is a plus. For example, an graduate from a school like Williams, Amherst, or Brandies (I come from MA) with a major in philosophy and a minor in a science field will generally look more attractive to a top-10 University's science department than a science-major graduate (with similar GPA and GRE scores) from any of the schools on the above lists.

Why? Because they can think more critically and communicate their ideas more effectively and generally have a bigger picture of science and society than their peers at large universities.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:44 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. When I was in college, it was the football players who majored in business undergrad. It seems to me about the only valuable undergrad business degree is accounting. Business is more of a graduate program.
There are a lot easier majors they do today than business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities