Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
If he wants to study business, you should visit the University of Pennsylvania.
Seconding this. They also have strong science programs... BBB seems to be a preferred fave for those wanting to go into medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Agree that OP is making a mistake in not entertaining the though of the top liberal arts colleges. The best of these are well-connected into the business world and many also have strong programs in the sciences too. They are top-of-the-heap in terms of academics and both employers and graduate programs hold the best students from these schools in very high regard (even if their names are less familiar to the general public than the big universities.) And as has been said, the focus of teachers at the liberal arts college is strongly on undergraduates rather than graduate students or the professor's own research.

Reed (Portland OR), Williams (Willamstown MA), Davidson (Davidson NC), Swarthmore (Swarthmore PA, outside Philadelphia), Wesleyan (Middletown CT) and Pomona (Pomona CA ) might all be great fits for this student. And like all schools, each has its own distinctive vibe: preppy, hipster, laid-back, intense, wonky, pre-professional, etc.

As to universities I would also add U Penn, especially the Wharton School, for business.

And for the life of me I don't understand how you could leave off the University of Chicago, which is highly intellectual, very rigorous, has a word-wide reputation, and is super strong in the sciences and economics. Thier list of well-known faculty and major award winners dwarfs many of the schools on your original list.

Last edited by citylove101; 09-03-2013 at 12:53 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 01:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
my suggestion is to let your teen pick his or her schools. If your young adult is bright enough & mature enough to be considered for a top-tier college, s/he can certainly put together a short list without your input. Trust me, kids today know more about all the deets & dirt on colleges & the admissions game than any of us codgers over 25 years.

If you & your family are well off and your child doesn't have to worry about loans, living expenses, car payments in the near future, let them find their own way in an academic environment that's diverse & broad reaching. While a lot of parents want their children to become doctors, lawyers & bankers, it's not imperative if money isn't an issue.

I've got high school friends from fairly wealthy families who were allowed to pursue a host of options during & after college, not just funneled into pre-professional programs. One is a journalist for the Economist, another a scholar/historian for the Clinton Library and a third does business development/strategic planning for Amazon. They all came to their current positions circuitously and were allowed to nurture & develop their own interests & ambitions on their own timetables. Most of us don't have that luxury but if your family is one of the lucky ones, take advantage & give your child free reign to find their own happiness.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Be aware that Princeton does not have a business school.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
And Harvard doesn't have an undergraduate business school. Only the liberal art of Economics.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
My opinion - proposed edits:

1.UCLA - maybe
2.UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA - remove
5.UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN DIEGO - remove
6. UNIVERSITY OF SANTA BARBARA - remove

4. NEW YORK UNIVERSITY - remove unless it's for something related for film, entertainment
5.SYRACUSE - remove remove remove

1.GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TEHNOLOGY - remove

1. UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS - austin? then keep
2.RICE UNIVERSITY - remove

1. UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN - maybe

ADD: University of Virginia
(and agree about adding U Penn, too)

Old 09-03-2013, 04:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
4. NEW YORK UNIVERSITY - remove unless it's for something related for film, entertainment
Odd that you would remove a top business school when the OP suggested business...

Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
There are a lot easier majors they do today than business.
I'm not surprised to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Odd that you would remove a top business school when the OP suggested business...
But is their program graduate or undergrad?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
And Harvard doesn't have an undergraduate business school. Only the liberal art of Economics.
It doesn't matter. Business will still hire Harvard grads.

Honestly almost all of the 30 or so "top" schools ( a mix of public, privates and liberal arts colleges) will get you in the door in terms of business and science in the broadest sense. That's why I asked for more specific info.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not surprised to hear that.

But is their program graduate or undergrad?
Both.

NYU is very respected for business. Stern is a top graduate school, but their undergraduate program and their location make it a prime undergraduate destination as well - especially for the monied set.

http://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-ad...uate/index.htm

It is a tier down from the Ivy League schools though

I agree that Penn is definitely worth a look - again, an excellent school in a great area for business.

In NY I wouldn't consider Syracuse - I would consider University of Rochester though, but not above the other schools on this list - although it does tend to draw a fairly international crowd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities