Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

How about this-

Colorado
U of CO
Leeds School of Business has some great combined bachelor/master's business programs, and the science programs there have several Nobel Prize winners.
http://www.colorado.edu/

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-04-2013 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: add link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 01:12 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. When I was in college, it was the football players who majored in business undergrad. It seems to me about the only valuable undergrad business degree is accounting. Business is more of a graduate program.
The average ACT score for UG "business majors" vary by a wide margin. At the Ross School of Business (UofMI), the average ACT is 31. At the Carlson School of Management (UofMN) the average ACT is 30. For the Sloan School of MGMT (MIT) the average ACT is 34. I'm guessing UofWI Madison also attracts some talented kids. So upon graduation, the better schools get their students placed. At the CSOM, the average starting wages were in the mid $50's. So for the better schools, the competition is tough.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 PM

541 posts, read 1,340,540 times
Thank you for all your answers. Here are more information.

Junior is very passionate about mathematics, physics, biologie, chemistry but extremely passionate about computer science and everything computer related , networks and so on. He and his friends are great kids (A + students, IB programm, well rounded, into learning, getting a great education and sports. He does not want to work for somebody else (Ok, mine and my family's "fault", we thought him since he was much younger two very important things: be your own boss and do not marry without a prenuptial), after finishing his study, he would like to build his own independent company (with or without our help, $ , we will see).That's why business, but his main interest is computer, IT. He is in leading positions in school and in his group, he is very confident, very strong personality, takes risk, ready to work hard for his dream, diligent, hardworking.Passionate about innovation and technology,bring new services, new creations, new technologies to the world. He likes big cities.Climate not a problem, used to California, Europe too, four season.

somebody asked,why not let him make the list..here answer...

We take all decisions together as a family. In our family values, traditions and assets are passed from generation to generation.He is the only child and only grandchild. His future,his decisions is our main concern. He was raised to understand,that having a strong family behind you (not only emotional, but also financial, will help you grow and succeed). With these strong values and financial background, next generations are doing better and better. I make the list with the universities (he told me his fields, his preferences, i have the big picture), consulting grandparents too, valuate everybody's opinion and appreciate each of your answers and yes, calculating the dollars (visiting so many universities is a money and time issue too, hotels ,flights and so on,he has no time to manage everything, he has to learn for international baccalaureate program and that is why i am here..i prepare everything). Junior has the final word, approves the list to visit,remove or add universities or keep the list i made without changing it. He has the freedom, after visiting the universities, pick the favorite ones to apply. He already made a decision (and my american husband is sooo happy), between Europe and America. I would have preferred study in Europe. But he is free to decide and i support his decision, excited to discover american universities.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
For those that are interested in both business and technology, Penn has the Jerome Fisher program for undergrads. Acceptance is pretty competitive, but students graduate with both Wharton and SEAS degrees. I'm most familiar with Penn, but I wouldn't be surprised if other top schools offered something similar.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:52 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
Thank you for all your answers. Here are more information.

Junior is very passionate about mathematics, physics, biologie, chemistry but extremely passionate about computer science and everything computer related , networks and so on. He and his friends are great kids (A + students, IB programm, well rounded, into learning, getting a great education and sports. He does not want to work for somebody else (Ok, mine and my family's "fault", we thought him since he was much younger two very important things: be your own boss and do not marry without a prenuptial), after finishing his study, he would like to build his own independent company (with or without our help, $ , we will see).That's why business, but his main interest is computer, IT. He is in leading positions in school and in his group, he is very confident, very strong personality, takes risk, ready to work hard for his dream, diligent, hardworking.Passionate about innovation and technology,bring new services, new creations, new technologies to the world. He likes big cities.Climate not a problem, used to California, Europe too, four season.
If his biggest interests are computer science, IT and new technologies, then you might want to add Carnegie Mellon Unversity to the list.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:59 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,247 times
Best university in terms of what exactly?

The question asked by the OP is similar to asking someone whats the best automobile?... or whats the best tool in the toolbox?... or whats the best vacation destination?

I could argue that Harvard would be a terrible choice for engineering compared to somewhere like University of Arizona... in the same way that Georgia Tech would probably not be the best choice for a degree in Philosophy.

If you're just looking to secure bragging rights for the rest of your life, then sure, go look at a generic "top school" list like the one USNWR publishes, and scroll down until you find one you can get in to.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:59 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,991 times
Quote:
i am European, live in California with my american husband.I am about to make a list with great universities, i intend to visit with my husband and child (junior),highly gifted. I am looking for best universities in USA (both study possible in business and science, money not an issue). Any suggestion? we already visited Harvard and MIT, need around 10,15 more. I appreciate any impression,suggestion,personal experience.
Don't forget about Caltech.

U.C.S.B is actually ranked pretty high, and there has been a lot of growth on campus.

I would add that in most cases it isn't so much the school as the specific program.

For example, you might think to yourself - "San Jose State? Blah"

However, the engineering school is ranked 7th in the nation - taken into account with it's location in the silicon valley (networking and internship opportunities, recruitment, etc), and it may very well be a very astute choice for someone interested in computer science.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:08 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
If you are going to start your own business, I would give entirely different advice. Go to a GREAT school (there are hundreds) and bank the rest. There is little point in spending $55K per year if you plan to work for yourself.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Junior is very passionate about mathematics, physics, biologie, chemistry but extremely passionate about computer science and everything computer related , networks and so on.
Management Information Systems | Rankings | US News

U of A.

Arizona is the best public school in undergrad MIS (3rd overall). And the only university to be in the top 5 every year since US News started ranking MIS programs in 89.

CMU and MIT are better this year.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:24 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
The program mentioned at Penn would be a good option and other schools have this as well.

Honestly, I would focus on the more technical aspects that he's interested in and then supplement that with a business education.

Since money doesn't seem to be a factor for you maybe look further down the line at graduate programs.

I'd be torn on UofA - they have some good programs - including MIS & ntrepreneurial studies ........ but overall it's not a great university - at least not close to being on par with many mentioned on this thread.

However, if you put in the work there you can go onto some decent graduate programs - especially if you have the right background/wallet

Although it sounds like the OPs kid has interests well beyond MIS - I would recommend a school like Carnegie Mellon, Penn, Cornell, MIT and the like that offer strong programs in a wide range of science/technical backgrounds while also being able to support business study and have that infrastructure & support available
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities