Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:48 AM

272 posts, read 641,292 times

Advertisements

Actually my sister in law(lives in Houston) got her in Bachelor's in Accounting from University of Phoenix last year. She was a stay at home mom with no experience and got a job easily working as an accountant at an major oil company. She started about 50K per year. FYI she is also working on her Masters at Sam Houston University. So NOI I don't think you're wasting you're time. Keep with it, you only have one more year to go! Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 07:30 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,794,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineflower99 View Post
My company is paying tuition reimbursement. They only pay a percentage, roughly 25%, and do not mind if it is an online degree.

I agree with you, that would indicate that they would take the degree seriously, but it concerns me that your company won't pay for an online degree. If something happens at my company (even great companies are going under these days) I want to be hirable elsewhere.

Should I look into transferring to my local university? This would be difficult time-wise (I go online because I have a family and a full time job) and I might lose credits in the transfer.
NAU is known primarily for being a finanicial aid scam. They encourage their students to take out gobs of federal loans without much counseling on their repayment.

NAU was also widely known to be a diploma mill but recently got some sort of accreditation. If your company doesn't care than you are probably fine.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM

2,721 posts, read 5,371,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineflower99 View Post
NAU is National American University. It's an online college similar to University of Phoenix.
The school is regionally accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association. I'd continue with it if you have three years in. Regionally accredited is the key.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:49 PM

2,721 posts, read 5,371,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
NAU was also widely known to be a diploma mill but recently got some sort of accreditation. If your company doesn't care than you are probably fine.
Unless the web site I read has the wrong information, NAU has a lot more than "some sort of accreditation." It's a regionally accredited school that has been around for 60 years. They have a real campus and cater to military folks. I think there was a scam university around with a similar name. Could that be what you are thinking of?

I'd never heard of them until this thread.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 PM

7,667 posts, read 4,655,886 times
Default The value of a degree

An accounting degree's value depends largely upon three things:

1. Does it get you the accreditation necessary to sit for the CPA exam?
2. Did you learn the profession well enough to pass the CPA exam?
3. Have the University's contacts given you access to interview with companies you may not have otherwise had a chance with?

If the answer to the above is no, you may want to consider working with another University. Hopefully many of your credits will transfer. However, a degree is still worth more than no degree. Additionally, if your company will use that degree to open a door for you to gain better experience, that will quickly surpass the influence of the degree itself.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:01 PM

360 posts, read 1,021,125 times
The major thing in an accounting program is to be able to sit for the CPA exam - if your program doesn't qualify you to do so, it's absolutely worthless. PASSING the CPA exam is also very important (and difficult).

Also, to note is does this program have the proper accreditation to get you into a post-bacc accounting/master's in accounting/MBA program down the line if you decide to go that route? You probably don't have plans to go to Harvard or Wharton but if you want to go to a good program somewhere can this degree get you in the door or would you be forced to go to a lesser accredited/sketchy online program?

Old 06-24-2011, 06:13 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,343,754 times
Some topics lend themselves to online learning and if you come out PREPARED for whatever it is you want to do that's teriffic. I do question why people pay so much money for an online degree if it's cheaper to go to campus though.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:21 PM

360 posts, read 1,021,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Some topics lend themselves to online learning and if you come out PREPARED for whatever it is you want to do that's teriffic. I do question why people pay so much money for an online degree if it's cheaper to go to campus though.
For any of the following:
1) The school in question has no standards for admission so the person doesn't have to take standardized tests/write essays or do any of that "hard" stuff to get in.

2) For undergrad: the person in question can't get into a 4 year college and thinks this is better than going to community college

3) They fall for the non-stop ads on tv, in newspapers, online etc and don't do any further research to find out that you can do an online degree from a reputed brick and mortar school often more cheaply

4) No other school will take this person due to GPA, prior degrees with sketchy accreditation, bad scores, criminal record, etc, etc.

5) Some people legitimately can't go to class on a regular basis due to work/family requirements and think these schools are the only way they can further their education

Old 06-24-2011, 06:42 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,261,330 times
I would stick with the program if you are learning a great deal about your field. Employers just want to see a degree from an accredited college these days. I think you'll be fine.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,944,968 times
Your degree certainly won't be as respected as one from another university, but you're mostly finished and since the company is reimbursing you, you may as well finish. Just be aware that compared to the rest of the accounting field, your credentials don't put you at the front of the pack. But it's probably better than the jobs you would get without a degree at all.

Once again I think it is important to distinguish between online and for-profit schools. There are many respected online degree programs--even some ivy league schools have them. For-profit schools are corporations whose sole purpose is to make money. They exist in both online and brick-and-mortar formats, and it is not the format that is the issue. The problem is that because their sole aim is profit, they have no incentive to impose admissions or grading standards. And therefore the degrees they award are virtually meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities