Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:52 AM

529 posts, read 363,837 times

Advertisements

I am interested in going back to school for an Associates Degree in something but can't figure out what I want to do. First off I am disabled and can not stand more than 10-15 mins at a time without sitting down to take a break...that limits what I can do in real life. I went to college for computer's at one time few years ago it bored me to death! I love Reading,History and Politics...but can't see where those things could be used in a real job or even something I could learn with an online degree...just curious if anyone could recommend something to look into or maybe a school I haven't seen yet to look into. Maybe a place with some unique programs to get a degree in....just lost here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 PM

44 posts, read 116,210 times
Have you considered going back for a Bachelor's instead? With your interests, perhaps teaching would provide satisfaction. I know this isn't a super-lucrative career, at least at the K-12 grades but should it click and you decide later to go for your PHD, you could be a college professor where I believe salaries are much better. Plus, most professors have side-jobs that are related to teaching.

Just a thought.

Also, you mentioned reading. A unique career I never thought of is a professional book reader. A few months ago, I was talking to a guy on a plane that did this. He was simply hired to read books and record his voice. Obviously this requires a good voice and ability to speak well, but it's a career path most people do not typically think or hear about.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:10 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times
One of the posters here recommended Thomas Edison State College. They're supposed to have several options for Associates, Bachelors, and grad. school with options online and they're supposed to easily receive credits from other colleges/universities.

Maybe you could check it out. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:06 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Do you have a job now?

Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 PM

529 posts, read 363,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Do you have a job now?

No I am a stay at home father. My oldest is in School most of the day but the younger child is at home with me.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Can you walk and/or get around with the use of a wheelchair or similar? Community colleges are usually the best bang for the buck. Maybe tank you Associates degree there and then join something like Thomas Edison State as DFWgal recommended. Thomas Edison State is pricey since it's based out of NJ, so the more credits you get at community college, the better.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:03 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Go with a community college or an online program at a brick and mortar school. Do everything you can to avoid a for profit college.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:26 PM

155 posts, read 291,778 times
Do not rule out private sector colleges or institutions. Do your research and find the best program that suits your needs. There is no substantial evidence that traditional colleges and universities do a better job compared to the private sector in offering online programs.

The most important thing is programmatic accreditation. Make sure your program has the appropriate accreditation so that you will be able to sit for any applicable exams or licensure.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
You might find this thread helpful OP

https://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...vs-public.html

Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post
Do not rule out private sector colleges or institutions. Do your research and find the best program that suits your needs. There is no substantial evidence that traditional colleges and universities do a better job compared to the private sector in offering online programs.
I agree with this 100%. Private Sector universities offer some of the best education this nation has. Heck, I went to one and am proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post

The most important thing is programmatic accreditation. Make sure your program has the appropriate accreditation so that you will be able to sit for any applicable exams or licensure.
This, on the other hand, I disagree with. Accredited colleges were diluted before and now there's a rush of diploma mills that are showing up as accredited. You don't want to confuse the OP and have him think that ALL private accredited schools are good. Otherwise, he might consider garbage schools such as University of Phoenix or Strayer.

OP, I honestly believe schools like TESC (mentioned in previous post) and similar are your best bet. Online options, at real non-profit schools, that have been around for years. TESC just happens to be public, but there are private non-profits available. If you look at TESC, they're trying to get you in and out quickly as possible than make money off of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities