Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:16 PM

919 posts, read 1,784,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Most companies did not lay off the folks HERE that run the company or keep the books or design the products - those folks were offered relo packages back when the jobs moved. And you do NOT need a college degree to supervise "the help". Marketing a product does not require a move overseas.

So the way YOU see it, an American college degree is only good for either flipping burgers or joining thieves on Wall Street? So - sounds like folks in college are either 'suckers' or 'asking for it'.

The majority of these overseas moves happened years ago. Plenty of time between then and now for all these motormouths with all the answers to pony up and start their own companies. Of course - they couldn't compete.

Folks already complain about having to pay $20k for a car - can you imagine if those cars were built here 100% by unions demanding $35/hr plus mandatory overtime plus 9 weeks of paid vacation a year instead of the $5/hr with one week of vacation time they pay overseas? Talk about 'sticker shock'!

And I do know folks whose jobs were shipped overseas. It's been about a decade (or more in a couple cases) - they're all still complaining about it - blaming government. None of them trying to do anything for themselves, really. One complains that she was making $9/hr 'back then' - way overpaid for what she was doing, and thinks the problem is that minimum wage should be $20/hr - because she has NO CONCEPT that that type of nonsense is what has caused these problems in the first place!
Why did you focus on cars? Why not take athletic shoes that are made in non- union nations and still costs more than $100/pair. And you're the one that happens to be spouting nonsense because American workers are the most productive in the western world, they simply don't get paid what they're worth. Why the hell do you think we have more millionaires/billionaires than just two decades ago. Because workers AREN'T getting paid what they're worth. If any of your blathering were true, we would have fewer rich than what we have. And moreover, Ford showed a profit last year, while still keeping their union. Of course you have no idea of the fact that fewer autoworkers are making the money you claim that they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 01:46 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,427,766 times
Are rich people trying to convince the poor not to go to college? LOL I read the article. Is it me or was it full of hyperbole and logical fallacies? If the guy who wrote the article had paid attention in college...actually he probably did since he uses misleading language and irrelevant facts so expertly.

Paying for college with loans and GOING to college are two separate issues.

Whether or not going to college is "worth it" is different from deciding whether or not financing a college education using loans is "worth it." My sister's master's degree directly translated into more knowledge, more experience and a job with more money and benefits.

The degree was definitely "worth it." The jury's still out on whether or not she should have financed it using student loans.

In my case, college provided me with education and skills I needed to do my job properly. I also learned foreign languages and about plants and animals and dance...things that made me a more interesting person (to myself, anyway). The degree was definitely worth it.

Deciding to work to pay for part of my education instead of getting loans...also worth it.

There are things I just plain didn't KNOW before I took certain classes. That's why it's called education. It's so valuable that people all over the world are fighting to get it at American universities.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:49 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,502,188 times
With the rampant outsourcing these days, the only way we can make enough to live is to join those "thieves" on Wall Street. Hey, at least "steal" from the "emerging markets" instead of your fellow Americans.

Quote:
Most companies did not lay off the folks HERE that run the company or keep the books or design the products - those folks were offered relo packages back when the jobs moved. And you do NOT need a college degree to supervise "the help". Marketing a product does not require a move overseas.

So the way YOU see it, an American college degree is only good for either flipping burgers or joining thieves on Wall Street? So - sounds like folks in college are either 'suckers' or 'asking for it'.

The majority of these overseas moves happened years ago. Plenty of time between then and now for all these motormouths with all the answers to pony up and start their own companies. Of course - they couldn't compete.

Folks already complain about having to pay $20k for a car - can you imagine if those cars were built here 100% by unions demanding $35/hr plus mandatory overtime plus 9 weeks of paid vacation a year instead of the $5/hr with one week of vacation time they pay overseas? Talk about 'sticker shock'!

And I do know folks whose jobs were shipped overseas. It's been about a decade (or more in a couple cases) - they're all still complaining about it - blaming government. None of them trying to do anything for themselves, really. One complains that she was making $9/hr 'back then' - way overpaid for what she was doing, and thinks the problem is that minimum wage should be $20/hr - because she has NO CONCEPT that that type of nonsense is what has caused these problems in the first place!

Old 04-29-2011, 02:21 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,138,075 times
Quote:

Plenty of cars being made in the South, in non-union plants doing JUST FINE.

What's funny is these 'foreign cars' like the Nissan plant in Mississippi, and the Toyota plant in (What is it, AL or Ga?) are made HERE.

Where as 'Domestic makers' like ford are made in Mexico and Japan!
(Not that The Yotas etc aren't partially made elsewhere)

Old 04-29-2011, 02:23 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,138,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Are rich people trying to convince the poor not to go to college? LOL I read the article. Is it me or was it full of hyperbole and logical fallacies? If the guy who wrote the article had paid attention in college...actually he probably did since he uses misleading language and irrelevant facts so expertly.

Paying for college with loans and GOING to college are two separate issues.

Whether or not going to college is "worth it" is different from deciding whether or not financing a college education using loans is "worth it." My sister's master's degree directly translated into more knowledge, more experience and a job with more money and benefits.

The degree was definitely "worth it." The jury's still out on whether or not she should have financed it using student loans.

In my case, college provided me with education and skills I needed to do my job properly. I also learned foreign languages and about plants and animals and dance...things that made me a more interesting person (to myself, anyway). The degree was definitely worth it.

Deciding to work to pay for part of my education instead of getting loans...also worth it.

There are things I just plain didn't KNOW before I took certain classes. That's why it's called education. It's so valuable that people all over the world are fighting to get it at American universities.

Mark Twain:
"Never let your schooling interfere with your education"

You could have read about plants, and taken dancing lessons without paying the Collages their extortion.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:35 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,873,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Plenty of cars being made in the South, in non-union plants doing JUST FINE.
Not made, assembled in the U.S. The parts, design, and engineering are still performed outside of the country.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,427,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Mark Twain:
"Never let your schooling interfere with your education"

You could have read about plants, and taken dancing lessons without paying the Collages their extortion.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:50 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,567,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Kinda makes a trade school look like a better deal.......
"Is going to college a worthwhile investment? Is the education that our young people are receiving at our colleges and universities really worth all of the time, money and effort that is required? Decades ago, a college education was quite inexpensive and it was almost an automatic ticket to the middle class. But today all of that has changed. "

Student Loan Debt Hell: 21 Statistics That Will Make You Think Twice About Going To College
This is the Colleges and Universities forum. Please keep the conversation on topic for this forum or we can move it someplace else.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:49 PM

756 posts, read 2,119,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
This should not be and wouldn't be if the rich hadn't exported all of America's manufacturing base out of the country in the rush to Globalization for Profit.

This is why I say a tech/trade school is now a better deal. These are jobs that are hard to export since they all are hands on type jobs.
True, but seriously speaking, if both parents have degrees and atleast one with a white collar job, would they encourage their children into tech/trade school path?

Old 04-29-2011, 07:59 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,062,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
lol...what...you don't like collages? I just made a really cool one, and it didn't extort anything from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities