Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:14 PM

31 posts, read 161,471 times

Advertisements

whats your student loan debt? I swear once I finish grad school I feel that I will be working(thats if i find a teaching job in cali) just to pay off my loans!! I have taken out so many loans to fufill a dream of mine and sometimes i wonder if its even worth it, especially since my field is in teaching and as you guys know, there are not many teaching jobs in cali, because of the budget cuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 03:29 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,269,515 times
I am not going to diverge any numbers, but I will say that so far my student loans are pretty small. The amount of loans that I have taken out so far for four and a half years worth of college is less then half of what a typical student takes out in loans for one single year. I am pretty darn far from being financially wealthy; just resourceful, I suppose. I am going to go deeper into debt with the next few years, though still not as much as the typical student.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:31 PM

204 posts, read 1,485,959 times
if you dont have to stay in california, or move to california, whichever is the case, go somewhere else. Living somewhere where living expenses are cheaper, at least for a couple of years, will help you pay off those loans faster.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:57 PM

847 posts, read 3,523,788 times
Mine are huge and I will be paying them off for years but that is what it is. Of course not I can not even get a job in my field, imagine that! Great, glad I have that degree!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:19 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,347,098 times
I lucked out in, at least as far as debt is concerned. I returned to school in my 40's, having decided to finish the degree I started when I was 18, and I never took more classes than I could afford to pay for at a time. Of course, since I was working fulltime and so was my spouse, that meant that I could afford to stay at least half-time. And once I reached the point of qualifying for tuition assistance from my employer at that time, I went to full-time school along with full-time work. As a result, I graduated (finally - at the age of 48) with no student loan debt.

My offspring, however, are a very different story. The elder, who started college at age 23, is in a fast-track 3-year bachelor's program at a private college and will likely graduate with around $40K in debt. The younger, who is apparently on the seven-year plan at a state university, is already at the $22K point and if he manages to finish, will likely wind up with about a $30K student loan debt. I expect that they'll both be paying those loans off until they're in their mid 40's.

I would not necessarily advocate waiting until you're in your 40's to start school for the sake of avoiding debt, though. My earning ability has nearly doubled in the 3 years since I actually collected that sheepskin, and it's more than a little disgusting to think of how much I'd be making at this point if I had gotten the degree a couple-three decades ago.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:51 AM

373 posts, read 1,854,706 times
$68,000! If I don't pre-pay (and why would I, since I locked in at 3.42%), I'll be paid off when I'm eligible for full social security. This is for a graduate degree from a state school and a private bachelor degree. However, it was the best investment I could have ever made. It has much more ROI than my home. I have gone from living in a $175/month crack house apartment and bartending for $7 per hour to owning my own home and being upper middle class for my area. I can say this $68,000 saved my life!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:33 PM

455 posts, read 1,500,642 times
$41,000 for my BS.

I should hopefully be paid off in about 14-15 years, at $350/mo.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:51 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,265,406 times
Been there, I know how everybody feels!! It totally sux. My husband will be middle aged by the time he is done paying off his loans. Mine will hopefully be paid off in the next 5 years or so. Sigh.

The good thing about teaching is if you are willing to move, states will forgive your loans. Now, I don't know the entire story and I'm sure there are strict rules but you should look into that.

In Texas, if you taught in a high-need rural area for a certain number of years, your loans or a portion of it would be forgiven. Like I said, I don't know how it all works and whether or not you can even transfer from state to state but if i wereyou, I'd look into it.

Dang, it is going to be nice when all that crap is paid off!

Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,589,526 times
Yup feel ya financial aid + 2 jobs + $50,000 loan for a public BA and a private MA. It's basically $500/month for 10 years however I am also looking to several government jobs and government teaching positions do pay certain amount of loans back for you, as well as starting a side business, basically a good 5 years of being frugal to pay off that amount and if not 10 years is still a great investment, live to learn, learn to live.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:49 AM

603 posts, read 2,342,140 times
I'm a teacher and it took me 15 years to pay off my student loans, but I finally did. I have never regretted borrowing that money to complete my education. It was well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities