Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 05:32 PM

831 posts, read 1,583,357 times

Advertisements

I don't know how I would feel about this. My niece is a college student and says over the summer her math teacher was in a detox place for alcohol. I know he is teaching adults but that still doesn't sound right. My niece's boyfriend works nights cleaning the place and told her he was in the rehab place. I don't know if the college knows about this or not???? Would they do anything if the did or is it no ones buisness if he does a good job teaching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 06:23 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I don't know how I would feel about this. My niece is a college student and says over the summer her math teacher was in a detox place for alcohol. I know he is teaching adults but that still doesn't sound right. My niece's boyfriend works nights cleaning the place and told her he was in the rehab place. I don't know if the college knows about this or not???? Would they do anything if the did or is it no ones buisness if he does a good job teaching?
If there haven't been any instances of impropriety at work and he's in rehab, I don't think there's any reason to be concerned. For all you know, he's receiving treatment through the university's employee assistance program (EAP). I suggest you stay out of it and advise your niece to do the same, and for the love of God, please don't start spreading rumors. He's got enough to worry about without anybody raising a ruckus.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
i really don't think it's any of anyones business. We had an alcoholic teacher at my high school and the biggest mistake ever was it getting out to the students. HS students are CRUEL.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
What would be a problem, is if the teacher was a drunk and did NOT go to rehab.

I'm more concerned that you heard it from your niece, who heard it from her boyfriend who works there.

If your niece's boyfriend found this out as a result of being a janitor (overhearing private conversations, reading confidential files, going through the trash, accessing office drawers in offices that are locked to everyone except the janitor, for example), then he has violated a trust, and you should report him so they can take action. Because if that's what happened, then who knows what other things he's reading about who else, and stories he's telling, and to whom.

If that isn't what happened, then you should just mind your own business.

Last edited by AnonChick; 08-10-2010 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: because I can't ever spell niece right.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I might trust the professor more than the boyfriend. Isn't there some sort of confidentiality agreement where he works? What about HIPPA laws? Even if he saw the professor there he has NO BUSINESS telling anyone. He could be in serious trouble.

IMO, it ends there. Your niece should not even know and I suggest you all go on as if you didn't know.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Oddly enough, college professors are indeed human like everyone else.

Not your business and I'm guessing the BF could lose his job so he'd better concentrate more on the broom and less on the gossip.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,602,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If your niece's boyfriend found this out as a result of being a janitor (overhearing private conversations, reading confidential files, going through the trash, accessing office drawers in offices that are locked to everyone except the janitor, for example), then he has violated a trust, and you should report him so they can take action. Because if that's what happened, then who knows what other things he's reading about who else, and stories he's telling, and to whom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I might trust the professor more than the boyfriend. Isn't there some sort of confidentiality agreement where he works? What about HIPPA laws? Even if he saw the professor there he has NO BUSINESS telling anyone. He could be in serious trouble.

IMO, it ends there. Your niece should not even know and I suggest you all go on as if you didn't know.
Yes, this. The boyfriend is in serious jeopardy of losing his job if he mentioned this and it gets out.

Also, when it comes to people getting help, I think that is great! They know they have a problem and GET HELP! If he came stumbling into class everyday, then I would worry, but not because he got help.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
What would be a problem, is if the teacher was a drunk and did NOT go to rehab.

I'm more concerned that you heard it from your niece, who heard it from her boyfriend who works there.

If that isn't what happened, then you should just mind your own business.

I totally agree.

Since when is someone trying to improve themselves grounds for losing their job??

Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Magritte25 and I agree on something. Therefore, we are right. It doesn't get any more clearcut than that

Old 08-10-2010, 08:16 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Magritte25 and I agree on something. Therefore, we are right. It doesn't get any more clearcut than that

LMAO!! I agree. AGAIN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities